• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Raise your hand if you had Poppins finishing under The Greatest Showman domestic and worldwide. Might be the most overpredicted movie we've seen in awhile.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Both Furious 7 and Aquaman had huge bumps over the previous film featuring the same characters

But Avatar and Titanic are still the top 2 worldwide of all time, so obviously Cameron goes unmatched for a while.

FF7 I assumed would be huge mostly because of Paul Walker's death, but maybe it wasn't as much of a given as I thought. Hard to compare Aquaman to the shitshow that is JL

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
FF7 I assumed would be huge mostly because of Paul Walker's death, but maybe it wasn't as much of a given as I thought. Hard to compare Aquaman to the shitshow that is JL

Wan handled Paul's death really, really well in FF7. I don't know if anyone could have done that better. Like why am I crying at the end of a Fast and Furious movie?

Similarily: why the hell am I loving Aquaman so much more than Batman or Superman?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Wan handled Paul's death really, really well in FF7. I don't know if anyone could have done that better. Like why am I crying at the end of a Fast and Furious movie?

Similarily: why the hell am I loving Aquaman so much more than Batman or Superman?
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Wan since Saw. Dude is a genius and I will watch anything he puts out. What he's done is definitely impressive, didn't mean to take away from it.

I am curious to know what the original script for FF7 was and how much had to be redone/rewritten.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Superhero movies have been dominating the box office for about a decade. Starting to wonder when they'll start slowing down.
If we ever get a Legion of Super-Heroes film, I know the universe will fail me and it will end up being the Heaven's Gate of comic-book film.
And the new hot genre will be biopics based on Fortnite streamers.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The Upside is an insult to the french original

Talk about a thoroughly pointless (and also missing the point) "adaptation" of an 8 years old movie.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God, I hope Dragon Ball Super Broly makes the top 5 somehow next week, just so I can hear Martin's confusion on the Sunday Service.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I wonder how long Spider-verse will be running in theaters here in the US.

Also, how is "disabled Vets" politically correct? These guys are practically holy to conservatives.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ummm wow, that's shocking.

If only the ads didn't spoil 75% of the movie

The ads are almost a bait and switch. I figure they were worried to present it as it really was so that's why they went with the sacerin Coles notes telling.

Heck I kind of want to see it now.
I wonder how long Spider-verse will be running in theaters here in the US.

Also, how is "disabled Vets" politically correct? These guys are practically holy to conservatives.

Hardcore neo conservatives to not give a single shot about disabled vets. They are care about 'the horrors of war' as a means to glorify it through 'sacrifice' as a means to accomplish manifest destiny. If you're showing someone who lost a leg in war after you had amazing sequences of brotherhood where he killed countless others and lost his comrades to save some civilians? That's good! But to just show a vet, suffering with no turnaround and a system that has forgotten him? That's bad because it's anti war and anti military industrial complex.

They don't care about soldiers as anything more than archetypes, props for their own emotional validations. The actual human suffering that they ignore afterwards (while donating a pittance in church, if that) and rallying against big government taking their 'hard earned money' (which can be used for dreaded social programs) is good enough for them to feel proud of themselves without sacrificing Jack shit.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Bryan Cranston could have been a great choice for a proper adaptation of the untouchables.

Oct 25, 2017
Not this year.

Also, the true domination has been post Avengers, I think. That's when everything started routinely making over $600M worldwide. Now it seems like $800M+ worldwide is becoming the superhero standard, with $600M (still higher than Iron Man 1) being relegated to Ant-Man tier films.

I started looking at the grosses for the other superhero/comic book movies, and with certain exceptions - Iron Man, Spidey, TDK - nothing was cracking that $500 million barrier.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still got Japan. Japan can be the wildcard considering how popular Spider-Man is over there and the marketing seems to have gone all out.

It remains to be seen(and will be quite interesting to see) how well it does. This could tell us a lot about where Spider-Man is as a character in Japan and where he's actually at.

Same Riami Spider-Mans was a consistent 60m performer.

It wasn't until that number dropped with ASM, and further still with the putrid ASM2. It dropped still with SMH.

Spider-Man
$56,226,136

Spider-Man 2
$59,587,229

Spider-Man 3
$58,320,289

The Amazing Spider-Man
$39,276,607

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
$30,253,480

Spider-Man Homecoming
$25,390,871

You could (attempt to) make the argument that the inclusion into the MCU hurt Spider-Man in Japan.

Here's what Venom did with its 'sort of but sort of not MCU' status.

Venom
$19,111,051

ASM (and to a lesser extent SM3) hurt the brand. Homecoming either stemmed the bleeding and we'll see bigger numbers with FFH, or only slowed the downward trend, and/or was dragged down OR helped by all of the MCU attachments. Quite a situation.

All of which can have an impact on Spider-verse.

Maybe the VAs gets, localization efforts, and being an animated celebration of SPIDER-MAN, could be the perfect storm that at least rekindles a shadow of the Riami era numbers in glorious Nippon.

SV manages to cover a lot of the same ideas as the Riami era and flirts with similar language and messaging to do so, what with the talk of responsibility, realizing your potential, doing what's right, as well as the weight of it all on a person. The isolation, and struggle to find happiness. These are all things that can get kind of lost, muddled, or downplayed in sprawling interconnected universes, but SV a callback to that earlier era of silo Superhero films where it was 'all on them'.

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The Solo comparison is because of Lord and Miller, they were originally tied to do Solo, and they helped produce Spiderverse.
Oh, right. I remembered reading that when first reviews got in, congratulating them for its big success after what happened with Solo. I was interpreting the message from a different angle.

I don't know if it will reach $400 mil., but in any case, I think it's poised to be better remembered that Solo, or any other film they've done until now.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse quietly showing pretty decent legs. I think a sequel is gonna happen.

Sequel is a lock. Spider-Gwen spin-off is probably in 'maybe' status (I would assume that it's slated for after the sequel, anyway, and plans could change over such a duration especially since Gwen is likely to figure into Spiderverse 2.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sequel is a lock. Spider-Gwen spin-off is probably in 'maybe' status (I would assume that it's slated for after the sequel, anyway, and plans could change over such a duration especially since Gwen is likely to figure into Spiderverse 2.

Yeah spin-off is probably not going to happen. It would've had to have made like 450-500 mill WW to be able to convince the suits that spin-offs are a good idea. Anyways there's no reason why Gwen can't be in the sequel.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman 2 needs to be a team up movie of some kind. The same way Iron Man and Cap eventually got more Marvel characters in their films.

I don't think they can do another 2+ hr ocean piece and for it to be as effective visually/creatively.

Get another DC character in there like Cyborg or maybe Flash to make it a tad different. Gonna need more land drama.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Looks like Bumblebee will end up doing alright. Maybe around $450m. I'm happy with that. Seems Paramount is, too.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah spin-off is probably not going to happen. It would've had to have made like 450-500 mill WW to be able to convince the suits that spin-offs are a good idea. Anyways there's no reason why Gwen can't be in the sequel.

Well they already greenlit, but I think Sony treats such things as more as investigative/prototyping than other studios may, and shotguns the announcements as good PR. I'd still bet that A spinoff is more likely than unlikely, whatever form it takes. Sony May or may not get that cartoon off the ground, and it could also alter the landscape further.

Their internal data is probably coming up roses for Spider-verse to do well in ancillary revenues and grow with a sequel. It had a ton of competition (from Sony themselves, even) this season.

Speaking of these CG franchises, Domestic tracking for Lego2 is a smidge below the original and could go higher closer to release (there's nothing to suggest it will collapse from tracking, metric so far have been good). LEGO Batman and Ninja May have had little to no impact on the brand.

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Aquaman 2 needs to be a team up movie of some kind. The same way Iron Man and Cap eventually got more Marvel characters in their films.

I don't think they can do another 2+ hr ocean piece and for it to be as effective visually/creatively.

Get another DC character in there like Cyborg or maybe Flash to make it a tad different. Gonna need more land drama.
Land drama is the last thing I want out of Aquaman.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I want Wonder Woman to fight Black Manta and have her not understanding why he's just such a fucking asshole to everybody ever

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they already greenlit, but I think Sony treats such things as more as investigative/prototyping than other studios may, and shotguns the announcements as good PR. I'd still bet that A spinoff is more likely than unlikely, whatever form it takes. Sony May or may not get that cartoon off the ground, and it could also alter the landscape further.

Their internal data is probably coming up roses for Spider-verse to do well in ancillary revenues and grow with a sequel. It had a ton of competition (from Sony themselves, even) this season.

Speaking of these CG franchises, Domestic tracking for Lego2 is a smidge below the original and could go higher closer to release (there's nothing to suggest it will collapse from tracking, metric so far have been good). LEGO Batman and Ninja May have had little to no impact on the brand.

If Spider-Verse 2 shows an increase in box office then I think spin-offs are more likely to actually reach the big screen.

But as of right now, I think Spider-Verse has done just enough to warrant a direct sequel, but spin-offs are probably not going to be the immediate focus.

The legs are good but there's not many films period that spawn spin-offs and a sequel from a relatively modest $300-$320 mill take.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018

Nah, gotta disagree. Let the solo films be solo films. Aquaman just proved that he works in a movie all on his own, no other cameos or crossovers needed.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
If Spider-Verse 2 shows an increase in box office then I think spin-offs are more likely to actually reach the big screen.

But as of right now, I think Spider-Verse has done just enough to warrant a direct sequel, but spin-offs are probably not going to be the immediate focus.

The legs are good but there's not many films period that spawn spin-offs and a sequel from a relatively modest $300-$320 mill take.
I this Spiderverses problem is the international markets. Like take US and Chinese gross away and you're left with somewhere around 100 million from all over the world. They need to change that of the want this to be a franchise. Lego Batman had a similar problem.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Aquaman needs to spend more time underwater

We need to see the effects of Ocean Master's actions and Arthur's new position. There are kingdoms we got to spend more time in

Oct 31, 2017

I feel the spin offs are a lock too given they are seeing if they can make TV spin off shows.

Nov 13, 2017
Guess who just won a Critic's Choice Award? :-)
Dw1E1qTVsAAMpkj

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm finally going to go see Spiderverse tomorrow

Hope it's as good as everyone has been saying

Status
Not open for further replies.