• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
I was reading some old Gavin Feng's tweets and this caught my eye. I might be right in saying Disney doesn't know how to market their movies over there. It'll be interesting to see how things play out this year.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
How do you market Star Wars to China? They don't have the nostalgia for it, so you'd have to go all in on space fantasy swashbuckling and maybe post a bunch of memes on Weibo about how Rey is a good girlfriend/Kylo is a good boyfriend.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How do you market Star Wars to China? They don't have the nostalgia for it, so you'd have to go all in on space fantasy swashbuckling and maybe post a bunch of memes on Weibo about how Rey is a good girlfriend/Kylo is a good boyfriend.
Cast Momoa, Vin Diesel, and Venom as the leads in the next trilogy

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason China seems to not be a fan of the franchise all about trying to topple an authoritarian regime.

Oct 31, 2017
I was more talking about how he said Disney doesn't know how to market Marvel films there. I have no idea how Disney can make Star Wars relevant there. Certainly casting The Rock, Momoa, and Vin Diesel would get it done. Maybe.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It opens on Wednesday and will likely be front loaded so ... Good luck with that.
It has a Saturday showing and is being shown throughout the weekend at certain chains (Cinemark as an example). I'm seeing it Sunday for example. Considering how dead January is, it's not impossible to make the top 5.

Oct 25, 2017
It has a Saturday showing and is being shown throughout the weekend at certain chains (Cinemark as an example). I'm seeing it Sunday for example. Considering how dead January is, it's not impossible to make the top 5.
Of course it has a Saturday showing, I didn't say it'd only be in theaters for 2 days. I'm just saying, it'll like do better during the week than the weekend.

You have the last two movies stats right there to see how this will play out.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah spin-off is probably not going to happen. It would've had to have made like 450-500 mill WW to be able to convince the suits that spin-offs are a good idea. Anyways there's no reason why Gwen can't be in the sequel.
They should do spiderverse films for theaters and then have one shot direct to stream and to DVD single character films.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm finally going to go see Spiderverse tomorrow

Hope it's as good as everyone has been saying

Make sure you see it on a good screen with good sound. Don't be afraid to see it twice to really appreciate the visuals (at least for me: I was distracted the first time just taking it all in with how different it looks)

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually looks like both my local movie theaters already got rid of Spiderverse. Well that sucks

And I've already seen Aquaman and nothing else out right now had my interest. Bummer as I was looking forward to going out to a movie solo during the day

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Saw trailers for detective pikachu and mib international while watching A Dog's way home

both look like they are going to fail. Especially MiB

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
If the Legion of Doom thing pans out, it'll be great to have Lex, Cheetah, and the rest be like "Manta, you good? Gotta dial back this Aquaman obsession, my guy."
Have Lex be like, "Look I hate Superman, but like....I have other shit going on too. You do nothing but hate Aquaman. It's not healthy, fam."

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't be happier for James Wanbillion.

Even when the film has a lackluster script I love the way he directs it.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
You think so?

I think what caught me off guard was
pika talking

It caught me off-guard at first and didn't enjoy the trailer, but grew on me on the second viewing and so on. It's going to be an instant money maker, especially in China - I don't think Japan will be as receptive, live-action adaptations in general tend to not do well there but man will this Pika Pika print money - it's funny, back when Pokemon The First Movie launched, it was one of their biggest movies for WB, and now Detective Pikachu will do the same for them 20 years later, we've come full circle.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
The only prediction I'll make right now re: Detective Pikachu is that it will do better internationally than domestically. I think it's going to be a harder sell to American audiences, especially releasing so close to Endgame.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

I mean....if that's the case you're basically saying that star wars movies aren't good enough to stand on their own two legs and are only propped up by nostalgia

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Detective Pikachu needs the Mr. Worldwide push.

They tried to get rid of me
But from gym to gym
They gon' have to deal with me

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm finally going to go see Spiderverse tomorrow

Hope it's as good as everyone has been saying
I finally got around to seeing Spiderverse today after having a bunch of other stuff (including a freaking tornado) come up every time I wanted to see it before. Spiderverse is stunningly good.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The first live action Pokemon should be a massive deal just like the first Harry Potter/Spider-Man movies

I agree with whoever predicted $1.5B

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Now that Pikachu has even more time between it and Endgame, it is absolutely going to crush the BO. This is assuming the quality of the trailers stays consistent.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
If Spider-Verse 2 shows an increase in box office then I think spin-offs are more likely to actually reach the big screen.

But as of right now, I think Spider-Verse has done just enough to warrant a direct sequel, but spin-offs are probably not going to be the immediate focus.

The legs are good but there's not many films period that spawn spin-offs and a sequel from a relatively modest $300-$320 mill take.

I mean the Venom movies are already spinoff. How many more spinoff movie can you get?

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018

Change all character names to Wuxia names and "Jedi" to "Tai chi"

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
1.5 billion for detective Pikachu? I'm very optimistic for it but expectations are getting pretty out of hand. I won't say it's impossible but that's a ludicrously high bar.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant think of a single movie ever with the sort of trailer views Detective Pikachu got that didnt perform insanely strong at the Box Office

Everyone was saying Venoms trailers views count didnt mean anything either. Look how that turned out

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I cant think of a single movie ever with the sort of trailer views Detective Pikachu got that didnt perform insanely strong at the Box Office

Everyone was saying Venoms trailers views count didnt mean anything either. Look how that turned out

No doubt and I remember making that argument about venom prior to release (though I don't think anyone expected that breakout). Still whilst I think detective Pikachu will do well I think 1.5 billion would be insane. Even if it hit a billion that would be a monstrous success.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No doubt and I remember making that argument about venom prior to release (though I don't think anyone expected that breakout). Still whilst I think detective Pikachu will do well I think 1.5 billion would be insane. Even if it hit a billion that would be a monstrous success.

Yeah I'm not predicting anything like that

My expectations are if its decent / good it will hit in the $700m range. Which would still make it a monster success

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I'm not predicting anything like that

My expectations are if its decent / good it will hit in the $700m range. Which would still make it a monster success

I think that's a reasonable estimate. Anything higher than that will rely on the quality of the movie and marketing leading up to release. I'm hopeful of something crazy like 1 billion but I by no means expect that.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'm on team $1b for pikachu

2019 is gonna have a billion dollar movie a month at this rate

Status
Not open for further replies.