• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't seen the film it's based on but I thought The Upside was pretty damn good. No wonder it seems to be doing really well.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that number is going to end up higher and sure those numbers will be front loaded but it's just a testament to how well they are leveraging the popularity of Super.

I'm not sure what the budget was, but I wouldn't be shocked if it makes money overall. And I believe it already succeeded in it's primary purpose. It's has pushed merch and content very well.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Mortal Engines might get outgrossed by a DBZ film on a limited engagement in 1/3 the venues.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
at what point do they give this multi billion dollar franchise a wide-release

my local theatre doesn't even offer reserved seating for dbs broly. i have to show up an hour early to get a good seat like a jabroni. haven't done that in like 5 years.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
at what point do they give this multi billion dollar franchise a wide-release

my local theatre doesn't even offer reserved seating for dbs broly. i have to show up an hour early to get a good seat like a jabroni. haven't done that in like 5 years.
I had to go to different theater than one I go to because the one I go to didn't have reserved seating and the wheelchair accessible seats were right in front of the screen. They gotta realize DB can make the big bucks.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder just how frontloaded that Dragonball number is, because of the franchise and the way it's being screened (i.e. one day engagements for IMAX and the like) it definitely is going to be frontloaded. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

this is a wednesday and a super limited release
Not to take away from its performance, but it's in 1260 theatres which isn't super limited (it actually counts as a wide release).

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I hope some suit is looking at these numbers and asking why havent we made a live action version of this

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
they don't need to do a live action version. just make sure every new, animated movie looks at least as good as this one (aka extremely beautiful and expensive looking) and treat it like an actual big deal, not some weird limited release for nerds.

spider-verse level budget and attention is the ideal scenario.

there's a larger fanbase worldwide for Dragon Ball than most media properties so it would be cool if they stopped treating it like some niche thing.

that being said, if detective pikachu is successful I could see a new live action dragon ball being greenlit. because if they can make pikachu and jigglypuff and mr mime work in live action, they probably ain't worried about making goku and vegeta's hair work in live action.

when it comes to action scenes... the blueprint is out there:

JealousThunderousCub-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nov 1, 2017
Happy Death Day 2U release date moved up a day to 2/13 to avoid releasing on the anniversary of Parkland which, uh...woof. Glad they caught that in time.

Oct 25, 2017
they don't need to do a live action version. just make sure every new, animated movie looks at least as good as this one (aka extremely beautiful and expensive looking) and treat it like an actual big deal, not some weird limited release for nerds.

spider-verse level budget and attention is the ideal scenario.

there's a larger fanbase worldwide for Dragon Ball than most media properties so it would be cool if they stopped treating it like some niche thing.

that being said, if detective pikachu is successful I could see a new live action dragon ball being greenlit. because if they can make pikachu and jigglypuff and mr mime work in live action, they probably ain't worried about making goku and vegeta's hair work in live action.

when it comes to action scenes... the blueprint is out there:

JealousThunderousCub-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I do agree if they go live action. The gifs you posted need to be the template.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Bumblebee holding much better than I thought in China and domestically; should finish around $450M WW - amazing. I think we'll get news of a new entry in the Transformers Universe on Feb 5th when Viacom announces their quarterly results.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks it won't be on a big screen but any screen at the theater is bigger than what I got at home, Saturday morning can't come soon enough!

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is ignorant.

The popularity of this movie is straight up consequence of the weekly Super series existing.

Toei has pushed DB in all merch fronts and this train ain't stopping the new series will be a juggernaut.

I mean the actual theatrical release of this, which is basically seeing how the previous movies did well so they're gonna keep ramping it up

I should ban anime from the box office thread

42.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

Yea but I think they mean having it on like 3k screens. But you have to take into account that theaters have to take into account how much they run this and make money. Lets be real. After this week everything will drop off because it's so frontloaded.

What they need to do in the future is start promoting more than they have been outside of the fandom.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Bumblebee holding much better than I thought in China and domestically; should finish around $450M WW - amazing. I think we'll get news of a new entry in the Transformers Universe on Feb 5th when Viacom announces their quarterly results.

So we're going to live in a world where of the big 4 Dec releases, Mary Poppins may be at the bottom of the global total?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You can see the path DBZ went on too, market wise:

Battle of Gods did like 3 mil OW here
Resurrection did 4 in 2 days
Broly did 7 in 1

It's an important territory so they'll roll with Japan/Latin America/US as their key spots, and these 5-10 million dollar animes will make like 60-70 mil

It's like when Sherlock's Abominable Bride got released in theaters overseas and made like 40 mil in Asia

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I totally forgot there was an American remake of Intouchables coming out. I thought that would've been quietly put to sleep when they realized the concept of the movie is pretty icky.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
2 cinemas in my town... 26 screens in total... open from roughly 10am to midnight... and broly only has one single showing next wednesday at 7:30pm

so over one week, that's roughly 1 single showing from 910 possible slots

the film sold out in like 72 hours as well

so tell me again why it's so limited???

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yeah that random jennifer lopez movie has 4 screenings at my local theatre today throughout the entire day

broly has one sold out screening at 7pm

I suppose it technically counts as a "wide release" but it sure as fuck isn't as wide as every other normal movie

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
So we're going to live in a world where of the big 4 Dec releases, Mary Poppins may be at the bottom of the global total?

Yes :) Pretty amazing feat - outgrossed both Spiderman (albeit an animated release) and Mary Poppins, who would've thought.

Oh almost forgot
and Peter Jackson's Mortal Engines!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.