• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are going to get a live action Dragonball z. It's best y'all accept that
BJozbV2l.jpg

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
From Deadline

UPDATED, FRIDAY AM Universal is calling the Thursday night for M. Night Shyamalan's Glass at $3.7M at 3,200 theaters, which would make it the director's top preview night ever beating The Last Airbender's $3M and coming in way ahead of Split's $2M previews. Showtimes started at 7PM. The pic will expand to 3,841 locations.

At this level, sources are expecting that the four-day run for Glass is somewhere in the $50M-range.

Among regular films in release, Funimation's Dragon Ball Super: Broly was No. 1 for the second day in a row with $3.3M, for a two-day total of $10.4M. In PostTrak exits, Broly has five stars with men at 84% leading the way. Broken down that includes guys over 25 (44%) and under 25 (39%). A diverse turnout here with 35% Hispanic, 36% Caucasian, 19% African American and 7% Asian.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
So I went to Broly yesterday. I had to go the 11pm showing because all the other showings were sold out. And this was around 7PM when I was looking. So yeah Broly is going to do numbers. This was also at a theater that's having showings like every half an hour.

Oct 31, 2017
Disney's most important movie of 2019 is Artemis Fowl

Disney has had almost no luck with creating new live-action franchises outside of the MCU, Lucasfilm and the "live-action remake" subgenre. Give or take Tron: Legacy (the 2010 sequel to the 1982 cult flick which earned $400 million on a $170m budget but didn't inspire a sequel) and the fairy tale-ish Into the Woods ($213m on a $50m budget in 2014), the Mouse House hasn't had a real winner in the "Walt Disney presents" live-action department since the National Treasure. They've had a near-endless stream of high-profile whiffs (Prince of Persia, John Carter, The Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle in Time, etc.) which would have been a much bigger deal had they not been running the tables with the Marvel movies and the animated flicks.

They earned $7 billion worldwide in 2018, but $5b of that came from four superhero movies (Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Incredibles 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp), while their other releases ranged from "fine" (Ralph Breaks the Internet, Mary Poppins Returns), disappointing (Christopher Robin) to varying degrees of disaster (Solo: A Star Wars Story, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms). If they can continue to make gazillions of dollars from Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, Pixar flicks and live-action adaptations (and Fox IP), to the point where they can try to break precedent with A Wrinkle in Time, then more power to them. But if Disney still needs to show that they can offer a "new" live-action franchise that isn't a Star Wars movie or a superhero flick.

If Artemis Fowl stumbles or tanks, it may be the last time that Disney offers an even remotely "small" (or mid-budget) movie in theaters as opposed to their Disney+ streaming service. The streaming outlet will already feature a handful of "smaller" movies (Lady and the Tramp, Adam Devine's Magic Castle and Anna Kendrick's Noelle) that will debut on the site, and they seem to be the kinds of flicks that are struggling against the big-scale event movies. If Artemis Fowl, starring Ferdia Shaw as a 12-year-old criminal mastermind in a world where fairies exist, stumbles, it'll both condemn the next such projects to streaming and again show that Walt Disney still has a 15-year-Achilles Heel when it comes to crafting new live-action franchises for theaters.

Interesting take and I kind of see his point. Unfortunately I think that streak continues and Disney live action will shy away from big blockbuster theatrical releases. Artemis Fowl trailer had a bad like/dislike ratio on youtube compared to other trailers, and the main kid character didn't seem to convince fans of the books.

I have said it before that Disney original (i.e. non remake/reboot/reimagining) live action department was the red headed step child of WDS and its failures were being hidden behind the other juggernaut studios. I do think that they will release less original theatrical release movies after Artemis Fowl bombs.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Disney's most important movie of 2019 is Artemis Fowl

Interesting take and I kind of see his point. Unfortunately I think that streak continues and Disney live action will shy away from big blockbuster theatrical releases. Artemis Fowl trailer had a bad like/dislike ratio on youtube compared to other trailers, and the main kid character didn't seem to convince fans of the books.

I have said it before that Disney original (i.e. non remake/reboot/reimagining) live action department was the red headed step child of WDS and its failures were being hidden behind the other juggernaut studios. I do think that they will release less original theatrical release movies after Artemis Fowl bombs.

when you have star wars, marvel and live action remakes + pixar and disney animation cranking out successful new IP, I really don't think you need any "live action new IP" specifically. it's bizarre that they keep wasting their money and time on these guaranteed bombas every year.

only a matter of time before they realize this and those "unannounced new Disney live action" dates become "unannounced new Marvel film" on their release calendar.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
No chance. Deadpool 2 isn't even at 750 worldwide . That movie won't come anywhere close

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Okay? How about Venom?

You think somehow Shazam will make more domestically ?

And why would it have such a big pull overseas? It's a totally niche character.

If it's well received , MAYBE the sequel can hit 600m WW but not this, no chance

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
There's no comparison to Aquaman. Is Shazam even getting a China release date ?

Aquaman would be at 700m without China. The China thing was just a smart move even if that wasn't the idea. Came out to China before anywhere else, that I think started its huge buzz there rode it from there with good word.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I think Flash is dead. WB already has enough on their plate fo the next 3 years when it comes to the DC slate:

Shazam
Joker
Wonder Woman 2
Aquaman 2
Batman
Suicide Squad 2
Harley Quinn
New Gods

We gucci

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
It's alive, boy. It's got directors and all. After the box office difference between Aquaman and FB2 it would be foolish to deny.

I just don't see where it would fit in WB's schedule.

Shazam, Joker - 2019
Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman 2 - 2020
Suicide Squad 2, Batman - 2021

That's how I see the schedule shaping up. Matt Reeves' Batman and James Gunn' Suicide Squad 2 would be my priority if I were Kevin Tsujihara.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see where it would fit in WB's schedule.

Shazam, Joker - 2019
Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman 2 - 2020
Suicide Squad 2, Batman - 2021

That's how I see the schedule shaping up. Matt Reeves' Batman and James Gunn' Suicide Squad 2 would be my priority if I were Kevin Tsujihara.
Why only two a year? I'm sure WB's goal would be more than 2 a year. They've said so in the past

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
There were 3 movies this year until Wonder Woman got bumped very recently.

They said very recently too that production was delayed for Fantastic Beasts. And the directors haven't moved on yet, and as we've learned in the past they're not shy about dropping out.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to keep Ezra, they could replace him and get cameras rolling as soon as they have a script

Just get Ethan Hawke or Kevin Bacon as Reverse Flash please

Status
Not open for further replies.