• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
yep, as bad as Covenant was, Fassbender seemed like the only one on set who realized that he was in a big budget b-movie. his character was like a mad scientist and was the most entertaining thing about it.

dude definitely needs to reconsider his career choices as of late though. 2 years of crap movies isn't that long tbh, but still its time he starred in something good soon.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, did the Cruis Missle not hook up with Ferguson in the last film, or am I misremembering things? I might be confused with Spectre. Also, who is the 4th actress in the picture that you didn't mention (the one in the free coat) and what role is she playing?

I don't remember Cruise and Ferguson bring romantic in MI5. I think Ethan is only away from his wife for her protection but they're still together. Been a while since watching MI4.

No clue who the 4th actress is or who she's playing. And they should bring back Paula Patton.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, did the Cruis Missle not hook up with Ferguson in the last film, or am I misremembering things? I might be confused with Spectre. Also, who is the 4th actress in the picture that you didn't mention (the one in the free coat) and what role is she playing?

That's Vanessa Kirby, I hace seen ir in the movie About Time and the Netflix series The Crown. I don't know her role in the movie.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
There was a legit connection between Cruise and Ferguson in MI5 but outside a goodbye kiss that was it. Like they saw each other as equals.

Phantom Thread starts tonight here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Finally saw The Shape of Water last night and loved every minute of it - did it make some money?

Also, there was an ad beforehand for an app called Fantasy Movie League - I feel like a lot of you guys here would enjoy making a league. Basically a free weekly fantasy box office game. Thoughts?

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Finally saw The Shape of Water last night and loved every minute of it - did it make some money?

Also, there was an ad beforehand for an app called Fantasy Movie League - I feel like a lot of you guys here would enjoy making a league. Basically a free weekly fantasy box office game. Thoughts?

It's actually crap. What it is is they give you about 8 screens to fill out a movie theater with a set budget but the prices are so lopsided that there's no reason to pick the higher tiered movies. For example, I tried it the week after Jumanji came out. Star Wars was SO expensive that if you used it then you'd have to fill the other screens with a lesser movie like The Shape of Water or something. The strategy essentially boils down to filling as many screens as possible with mid-tier movies.

Email recap from the week I played.

So well done if you played "The Greatest Showman" x6/"All the Money" x2, as you literally took home all the money you could with the PC. That combination grossed $148,869,154 after including $9M in bonuses.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty sure Ethan and his wife aren't together anymore, but he keeps tabs on her

Ferguson's character straight up offered Ethan a chance to run away with her so nah there's something up

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider screams catch me on Netflix

Pretty sure Ethan and his wife aren't together anymore, but he keeps tabs on her

Ferguson's character straight up offered Ethan a chance to run away with her so nah there's something up
Why am I not shocked you are versed in MI lore

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

They did not, but there was romantic tension and she offered to run away together.

So, question mark on the wife.

But hey, more than one lady in M:I. Been awhile. They've been like ONLY ONE LADY!
mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-pic4.jpg

jTk4JSh.png

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Tomb Raider turns out decent and to be an enjoyable enough flick to watch through. And that it does well on the Box Office to amount a sequel, but there's something about the trailers that looks cheap, and the plot is basic and not interesting at all. Although I like the setting and the castings, especially Alicia Vikander as this strong woman who has to survive under hard circumstances. But I really just don't like the premise of "big organization planning genocide at a remote island, so girl goes to stop them and save the world." Hopefully there's more to her father's discoveries, and that the tombs will hide something bigger since there seems to be some mystical objects and puzzles she goes through.

We don't know the budget of this movie? What do we think it'll do on the box office both domestic and international?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I actually think the look of the new TR is great and that they picked someone really solid to play Lara.

But the execution so far has been real bad. The Survivor snippet is just terrible.. the tone is off. Hopefully the movie will still be fun though.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Predictions:
boxoffice.com
Code:
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle      $18,000,000  -36%
The Post                            $12,500,000  -37%
12 Strong                           $12,000,000   NEW
The Greatest Showman                $9,200,000   -26%
Paddington 2                        $7,600,000   -31%
The Commuter                        $6,500,000   -52%
Star Wars: The Last Jedi            $6,000,000   -49%
Den of Thieves                      $5,900,000    NEW
Insidious: The Last Key             $5,500,000   -56%
Proud Mary                          $4,400,000   -56%

THR
Code:
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle     "$15 million or more"
12 Strong                          "$15 million or more"
The Post                           "around $13 million"   
Den of Thieves                     "it could pull in $7-8 million"
Forever My Girl                    "modest expectations"

Variety
Code:
Jumanji                            "between $15 million to $20 million"
The Post                           "in the $14 million range
12 Strong                          "$14 million to $17 million range"
Den of Thieves                     "in the $9 million range"

I don't know where the supposed hype for 12 Strong is coming from, middle america didn't turn out much in 2017 (see: Thank You for Your Service, Only the Brave). I wouldn't bat an eye at a sub double digits debut

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Closed my moviepass card for now, doesn't seem anything super good coming in this deadzone for a few months :zzzz:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ferguson is really the breakout of Rogue Nation though, like by miles

If anybody's gonna pick up the franchise if Tom leaves it's her

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
What if they cast Dwayne Johnson in Episode IX? Where would the final box office finish?

Ferguson is really the breakout of Rogue Nation though, like by miles

If anybody's gonna pick up the franchise if Tom leaves it's her
I'd watch a M:I starring Rebecca Ferguson and Paula Patton at least twice in the cinema. It'll be about a shadowy terrorist organization planning world domination/getting rich through nefarious means, and the only way they can be stopped is by these two ladies doing hurricanranas, jumping armbars and frankensteiners on them all. And to defeat the main villain they have to Dudley Death Drop him or her through at least two tables.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Jumanji at $700M worldwide on Tuesday means that it will likely pass Wonder Woman Worldwide. Perhaps Thor and GotG2 as well. If Japan is unexpectedly strong, Spider-Man Homecoming could go down too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a single Mission Impossible movie but I've always wanted to see them. I think I saw the first 20 minutes of the first one last year and really loved it. I should get around to them before MI6!

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen a single Mission Impossible movie but I've always wanted to see them. I think I saw the first 20 minutes of the first one last year and really loved it. I should get around to them before MI6!
They're the best Tom Cruise Action Man films around. Ethan Hunt has no character - 3 tried to give him one but it didn't stick, but he's a great excuse for Tom to do insane Jackie Chan stunts. Apart from 2 they're all consistently good. M:I 2 is bad but it's hilarious fun.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

Wild thing about the series is how each entry is fairly different from the last. There's whiplash going from Brian De Palma's first entry to John Woo's second. MI5 and MI6 are the first to share a director.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I'm glad McQuarrie stayed on to do MI6. He's a great writer (he wrote MI5 but also The Usual Suspects and Edge of Tomorrow) and (as MI5 proved) he's a very capable director as well.

Last edited:

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Phantom Thread's not going to break even is it?

I mean I don't know how Hollywood works but that'll be 3 PTA films in a row not making back their budgets, do they keep him on just as charity or will their be more studio intervention in his later works?

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Thread's not going to break even is it?

I mean I don't know how Hollywood works but that'll be 3 PTA films in a row not making back their budgets, do they keep him on just as charity or will their be more studio intervention in his later works?

Whomever is bankrolling PTA movies is doing them for award consideration, not because they're expecting them to be huge financial successes. As long as he's keeping his budgets below $30-40 million, the studios aren't losing much (if any) money on them after home video and streaming rights and such, and he's not going to have that hard of a time getting his next movie funded.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Greatly enjoyed Phantom Thread. Had that quasi-Kubrick ultra pitch black sense of humor There Will Be Blood had.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I only have MI4 and keep wanting to buy the others but with MI6 around the corner I think Paramount's will release them all on 4k this year. So I wait.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Mission Impossible is the last watchable movie De Palma made, but it's more mediocore than good. It's a super convoluted movie, and then the second movie doubles down on that.

From 3 onward is when the series hits it's groove. Though I'm not really crazy about the series overall, it's the kind of movies I enjoy watching at the moment and instantly forget what happens a week later.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The best Mission Impossible scene is when Tom Cruise does the break-in completely off-screen in like 1 minute while the people in the car argue over how long a minute is. It's brilliant in conception and execution. So whatever MI movie that had that scene is the best MI movie.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Mission: Impossible is one of my favourite franchises running right now and one of the few that manages to not only be consistent, but arguably better as it goes on.

I'm bailing before anyone dares start harping on my beloved Mission: Impossible III.

mission-impossible-rogue-nation-trailer-go-rogue-437719.gif

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
The first Mission Impossible is the last watchable movie De Palma made, but it's more mediocore than good. It's a super convoluted movie, and then the second movie doubles down on that.

From 3 onward is when the series hits it's groove. Though I'm not really crazy about the series overall, it's the kind of movies I enjoy watching at the moment and instantly forget what happens a week later.

Philistine. MI is always magic.

red-light-green-light-mission-impossible.gif

med_1441886685_00029.jpg

MI2
uPG8Dw0.gif

Every one is amazing in its own way.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I do not get the MI is convoluted arguments. The only thing I never understood is why they killed off Emilio so early. You don't treat Gordon Bombay like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.