• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Sony's Bad Bays for Life is bigger than expected after a better-than-anticipated Saturday hold of $21.8M, -9% from the Friday/previews number of $23.3M, catapulting the Will Smith-Martin Lawrence movie to $61.2M 3-day and a $70.9M opening according to early Sunday industry figures, easily the second-best MLK opener ever after American Sniper ($107.2M), and it's the best opening ever for a Bad Boys movie. Sony is seeing less with a $59.1M 3-day and $68.1M 4-day, but heralding a $100M-plus worldwide start. Sony has had a lot of great IP that they've tried to reboot lately, some of it didn't work because there wasn't any reason to tell the story. But they worked hard on making this Will Smith-Martin Lawrence reteam excellent, providing great reasons why there was a need to tell a story. Just like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull dealt with old age, Bad Boys for Life leans into Mike and Marcus not being bad anymore, and the dilemmas of losing their street edge.

Universal is reporting a 3-day of $22.5M and 4-day of $30M in U.S/Canada and $57.3M worldwide (under what we were spotting earlier) for the disastrous Dolittle, which we picked through in the previous update in regards to what went wrong. We can't determine how much Dolittle will bleed yet as it opened in limited offshore territories, not the big ones like Maleficent: Mistress of Evil did, which was bailed out by foreign (read below). Forty-six foreign markets grossed $27.3M by EOD today, which is nothing to brag about on a film this size. Get this, the previous Eddie Murphy Fox Dr. Dolittle movies opened better over 3-days (without accounting for inflation) with the 1998 version doing $29M over 3-days and the 2001 sequel opening to $25M. If the Robert Downey Jr. Dolittle wasn't so expensive, we'd be celebrating what a solid stateside opening this is for a family film, especially in January.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

less

Oct 25, 2017
Nice weekend for 1917. Frozen II continues being impressive. Parasite surpassing the turd that is Cats is <3

Ford vs Ferrari doing nicely too with an expansion.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Between the Spider films, Jumanji and now Bad Boys, Sony has built up a decent number of franchises in the medium term. Now they need to take the next step and get some new IPs started. Like what WB is trying with Tenet and Dune.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Looks like Weathering With You is going to breeze past Your Name's domestic take with little to no issue.
Still leaving money on the table, though.

Dec 12, 2017
Back in the day when Aladdin did $1B.
Aladdin was Will Smith's biggest ever hit.
You act like he didn't just star in alladin and suicide squad
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I meant a movie where Smith was the main draw, ala Gemini Man. Aladdin feels more like a hit for the Disney draw aspect than people going specifically because Will Smith was in it.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I meant a movie where Smith was the main draw, ala Gemini Man. Aladdin feels more like a hit for the Disney draw aspect than people going specifically because Will Smith was in it.
I think you'd have to go back to Hancock to find a Will Smith movie that's successful because it's a Will Smith movie. You can probably consider Bright a commercial success though based on how Netflix viewed it.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The list is missing Knives out which came in 8th this weekend.

It shows a different order when you click and go to The Numbers.

Otherwise fantastic for Bad Boys, going to go see it later today.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Completely unrelated but here is Will and Martin's Breakfast Club interview. Martin is really reserved and Will just has a way with words.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Keep going Frozen II, you've got no animated competitors for awhile still.

Poor Spies in Disguise.
LongScrawnyCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Dec 12, 2017
Completely unrelated but here is Will and Martin's Breakfast Club interview. Martin is really reserved and Will just has a way with words.

I saw this. I was surprised how relaxed and free flowing the profanity was from Will. The James Avery and Tupac comments from him were real shit. It was refreshing to see him spit so honestly.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still mad they used the title for the fourth Bad Boys film for the third Bad Boys film. And now they're all like "Bad Boys 4 in development" and it's like yeah what're you going to call that one, Bad Boys Got Five On It? You played yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.