• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Holy shit, if Dragon was wide released it would probably be like 80 million.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Curious what kinda revenue deal Night got on Glass as he funded it with $20 million of his own money. I'm guessing far above the usual auteur tax of 10% backend?

On The Visit it was the most money he's ever made on a single movie. I'm sure Split was the same and so-forth.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
They are leaving some in the tank, but increasing the theater count isn't going to make DB gross a Super large amount more. They should have kept the numbers up for the weekend, but Anime flicks are always front loaded. Still stupid of them, but don't be dreaming of 20mil+ for the weekend unless they released it on a Friday. And it's going to drop hard next weekend, if they keep the theater count in

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
WE DID OUR PART FOR SPIDER-VERSE!

I am now blaming the international markets (and BronsonLee's curse).

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really gonna try to overhype Broly aren't you
It's hard not to when all the showings near me have been sold out this weekend. Something something power maximum. Helps that the movie isn't actually terrible (if you're into the series).

Could've given first a run for it's money if it had opened wider
This weekend? Probably not.

If it premiered next weekend, where the competition is nonexistant, probably.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Let the record show I gave the Bronson Bump to THREE movies this holiday season

Bumblebee
Aquaman
Spider-Verse

And I saw Aquaman twice so it had double the effect

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
meh at Spiderman's numbers
it is low for a movie that had two minutes clip as post credit scene in the end of Venom (which was very successful)

guess it didn't appeal to venom's audience

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its gonna be BvS all over again with Glass. WoM is BRUTAL.

And I remember long ago when the DB fanbase as a whole bashed Broly for being a crap character "only 12 year olds liked."

There are a lot of 12 year olds, it seems.
The people I saw in the theater I went to I finally felt like I was home. It was mostly 20-30 year olds.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Hence why I said if they treated it like a normal release and premiered it on a weekend. I know Funi normally does weekday releases, but I'm arguing that this is the first movie that Funi should have tried to release on a weekend and gotten a wide release. The series is big enough right now that they could have actually pulled it off if they had more faith in it. I'm shocked they didn't considering they even premiered the trailer at Comic-con and had a Macy's parade balloon made. It still would have been frontloaded, but we wouldn't be having the issue we're having now where people want to see the movie on their days off (the weekend), but there's barely any showings, and the showings that are there are already sold out.

I hear you loud and clear but that's not how Funi operates. There's a model in place for these type of films and it works splendidly for theatre owners and Funi. Furthermore, it's complicated given the contracts in place with various theatre owners on how many screens are available for new releases, number of engagements for distributors, etc. Unless Sony or FOX/Disney take over distribution duties, we won't see any wide releases from Funi anytime soon. A huge success for Funi though; who would have envisioned a gross of $30-35M domestically when all is said and done - amazing feat.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man's numbers are also fine, good enough for a sequel to get greenlit without any real pushback. Some of y'all want MCU numbers from everything with a superhero in it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, Spidey. Hit that $200 domestic.

Phil Lord promised Japanese Spider-Man in the next one if it happens.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Look all I'm saying is that Venom made double what Spider-Verse did so it's gotta be twice as good, right? That's how it works

42.jpg

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you loud and clear but that's not how Funi operates. There's a model in place for these type of films and it works splendidly for theatre owners and Funi. Furthermore, it's complicated given the contracts in place with various theatre owners on how many screens are available for new releases, number of engagements for distributors, etc. Unless Sony or FOX/Disney take over distribution duties, we won't see any wide releases from Funi anytime soon. A huge success for Funi though; who would have envisioned a gross of $30-35M domestically when all is said and done - amazing feat.
Fair enough. Should have just been considered a FOX release.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair for Funimation, this is what they usually do with their movies. Though I imagine Broly's success will get them to rethink that especially since they now have Sony money to play around with.

I can see studios buying the rights to anime movies and releasing them. They cost peanuts to make and even less to get the rights on. Everybody wins
I don't think there are too many anime films out there with BO appeal that aren't snapped up by Funimation, Viz or GKIDS already, and as far as the latter is concerned, they're small enough to need a venue like Fathom Events to get their films into theaters nationwide in the first place.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
175m is gonna happen in 2 weeks. Just hoping Oscar buzz and hopeful win puts it in contention for 200m

200 mil I don't think is happening, especially with How to Train Your Dragons 3 and Lego Movie 2 both coming out next month.

At the rate it's going, ending between $170-180 is more likely and definitely a solid.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Bumblebee trucking along. I'm glad! Seems like it should finish in the $450-$475 range, depending on how well China holds and how receptive Japan is to it.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wish a theater near me would add a fucking screening of Broly today, I'd love to see it again.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people are saying Glass underperformed. Unbreakable seemed like a sleeper hit and so did Split, unless I'm missing something. A sequel to both pulling $40m in January is pretty impressive.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people are saying Glass underperformed. Unbreakable seemed like a sleeper hit and so did Split, unless I'm missing something. A sequel to both pulling $40m in January is pretty impressive.

It underperformed with expatiations. Unbreakable scored lower than Glass back then with audience reviews.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Glass already did double its budget..........this is why M Night gets greenlit to make movies. No matter what, he brings in easy money......even if some don't always come out with praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.