• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I did my part for Bumblebee. I went and saw it Friday night. $5 of that $4.6 million was from me.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Those Dragon Ball numbers are gonne have dire consequences.
Somewhere in Hollywood right now, some old executive is yelling at his assistants: "What the fuck is a Jojo? How much are the rights? And does he NEED to have a bizarre adventure?"

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Isn't it a limited run?
I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation & Fox expanded the theaters to get the movie over Pokémon at this rate.

Those Dragon Ball numbers are gonne have dire consequences.
Somewhere in Hollywood right now, some old executive is yelling at his assistants: "What the fuck is a Jojo? How much are the rights? And does he NEED to have a bizarre adventure?"
How would that work? Would David Production work with Araki to write a special part for a theatrical release (plus a VIZ Media/Bang Zoom dub)?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
How would that work? Would David Production work with Araki to write a special part for a theatrical release (plus a VIZ Media/Bang Zoom dub)?
No they'd hire some former second unit director to direct a live action version starring Jai Courtney as Johnny Johnson, a former marine magically transported to a faraway land called Ah-nee-may.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
I hope they don't feel this success warrants another live action dragon ball movie. Broly was amazing and I just wish it had a normal theatrical release...

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hey berzeli I hope you're enjoying your 2019 I'm just going to casually drop this here feel free to just ignore it if you want.

thetruthmykj6.jpg

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I'm surprised people are saying Glass underperformed. Unbreakable seemed like a sleeper hit and so did Split, unless I'm missing something. A sequel to both pulling $40m in January is pretty impressive.

Tracking for Glass was 50-70M. Split opened to $40M two years ago, so not a big stretch to expect more from the crossover sequel.

kswiston do you have a link to your 2019 release calendar thread? Thank you!

Do you mean the flop of the year thread?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
A decent portion of JoJo characters aren't Japanese though.
That's not the point of what I'm saying. Or else I would have made a Scarlett Johansson joke.
It's just that I don't think Hollywood and anime / manga properties will ever mix well. Only the Washowskis managed to crack the code but look where that got them...

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My local theatre here in Australia has 5 showings of Broly for a week when it opens here on the 24th.

So it looks like they are ready.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Bought tickets for Broly tomorrow! Subbed showing ran out of tickets, so went with Dubbed, but is all good. I ain't picky. I'll buy the Blu-ray anyways.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Its gonna be BvS all over again with Glass. WoM is BRUTAL.

And I remember long ago when the DB fanbase as a whole bashed Broly for being a crap character "only 12 year olds liked."

There are a lot of 12 year olds, it seems.
I can't speak for everyone of course but I watched the movie in theaters because I LOVE what they did with new canon Broly in comparison to the old Broly which was a character I used to despise.

To me this movie made new Broly one of my new favorite characters.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'd pay $12 to watch the entire tournament of power dubbed in theaters
It's taking forever on Toonami and I wanna see it on the big screen

Do it Funimation, theater was packed for Broly when I went

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those 12 year olds are in their 20s and 30s now :P

My point exactly. There was a point in time 10+ years ago where it was expected for the DBZ community to despise Broly, and anyone who admitted to liking the character was crucified by everyone else. But then, as this gross shows, almost every fan liked him but didn't admit it for whatever reason.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
My point exactly. There was a point in time 10+ years ago where it was expected for the DBZ community to despise Broly, and anyone who admitted to liking the character was crucified by everyone else. But then, as this gross shows, almost every fan liked him but didn't admit it for whatever reason.
It's not the same version of Broly, though. The new version actually has character and is sympathetic. I don't think you can conflate the two like you're attempting to do.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same version of Broly, though. The new version actually has character and is sympathetic. I don't think you can conflate the two like you're attempting to do.
New Broly is built on the same character concept from the original movie. He's a little nerfed in the new movie compared to his old self, but he still yells a lot and fights like a maniac. Old fans get an added bonus of better character development this time around.

Last edited:

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Happy to see Spider-Verse still holding in Top 5.
Shocked at an anime film getting in the top 3, let alone top 10. Even given it's DBZ. The money it made on that theater count is insane.
Wonder if this could mean something good for Alita next month lol.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
New Broly is built on the same character concept from the original movie. He's a little nerfed in the new movie compared to his old self, but he still yells a lot and goes ham on people. Old fans get an added bonus of character development this time around.
Old Broly's concept wasn't why he was hated previously. His origin and motivations were extremely stupid.

New Broly takes what worked and discards what didn't, and actually added a little depth to the character. There's no reason to hate the new version. Or at least, less reasons to hate him. >_>

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Old Broly's concept wasn't why he was hated previously. His origin and motivations were extremely stupid.

New Broly takes what worked and discards what didn't, and actually added a little depth to the character. There's no reason to hate the new version. Or at least, less reasons to hate him. >_>
Even Broly haters understand that his concept is just way too attractive.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Let the record show I gave the Bronson Bump to THREE movies this holiday season

Bumblebee
Aquaman
Spider-Verse

And I saw Aquaman twice so it had double the effect

I had to chide you to get you to see Spider-Verse!

People caping for Broly is a bit embarrassing to watch.

Those are great numbers for Broly. That's said, we're talking $12 million for the four-day, and with a wide release I don't see having broken $35 million. It played strong partially because it's limited.

That said, unlike Glass it actually delivers what fans wanted.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The two theaters near me that were showing Dragonball actually ended up doubling it up on the weekdays- 2 showings at 7, 2 showings at 10. The thirst for this movie was real.

Status
Not open for further replies.