• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... you're telling me a Dragon Ball anime film is ranked 3rd in the US box office right now?

in 2019?

what

what

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Can aquaman get over Civil War worldwide? Does it have another 80 million left?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
funi fucked up so bad with that theater count

You ain't even fucking lying. I can finally see the fucking movie tomorrow because the theater near me actaully is going to have showings that arent late in the afternoon and evening. This movie probably could have done far better at the box office that its doing simply because you can't see it when you want to or where you want to.

I am stunned at dragon ball being that high. Wow. You can almost hear Hollywood scrapping together another live action attempt lol

And if that's the case, then Hollywood has learned nothing and continues on its course to refuse to learn. People who like or love DB don't want or even care about a fucking live-action DB. DB Super Broly is EXACTLY what that audience wants and a live action take on it is completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I am stunned at dragon ball being that high. Wow. You can almost hear Hollywood scrapping together another live action attempt lol

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, almost 80 million for DBZ. Crazy how an anime I first started watching at the age of 9 is still killing it 20 years later.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Funimation should do another week here in the states, I want to see it again

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
It's probably got another $30 million or so left in the US, so it will be close on that front, but it's still on the table.

I think its going to come down to Japan. Most big, but not Avengers level huge, superhero movies do $15 - $20M. If Aquaman's CGI is enough to pull in casuals and it gets closer to $30M it could sneak past Civil War.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I think its going to come down to Japan. Most big, but not Avengers level huge, superhero movies do $15 - $20M. If Aquaman's CGI is enough to pull in casuals and it gets closer to $30M it could sneak past Civil War.
It would be kinda incredibly of Aquaman did that. Like the only other origin movie that's higher is BP and that's some lightning in the bottle cultural phenomena looking at its Domestic v Worldwide split.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's so true. Everyone I know who was interested isn't anymore, including myself. A group of us were going to watch it this weekend, but then we read the reviews.

Opinions. Why not go watch it and see for yourself? I read some of the reviews and while most were negative, I still enjoyed the movie. These critics want masterpieces nowadays.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I fear that some Hollywood exec is looking at the top 3 and currently demanding a live action Broly movie... directed by Shyamalan.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I can't imagine what a DBZ movie aimed at a wider audience in the current landscape would even look like.

....But I have a feeling we're going to find out soon.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Opinions. Why not go watch it and see for yourself? I read some of the reviews and while most were negative, I still enjoyed the movie. These critics want masterpieces nowadays.

Movies are really expensive here that I'd rather go watch something I might enjoy. This isn't a case of 50/50 reviews, the overwhelming majority of feedback I read/heard was negative. I'll just rent it when it becomes available instead.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It would be kinda incredibly of Aquaman did that. Like the only other origin movie that's higher is BP and that's some lightning in the bottle cultural phenomena looking at its Domestic v Worldwide split.

A breakaway is a breakaway. How you get there is bunch of different factors. Wonder Woman had great legs as the first female-led superhero film of the modern era. Infinity War was half the culmination of the MCU. Jumanji was great counter-programming for The Last Jedi. Aquaman did nearly $300 million in China, which was as absurd as when Venom did it two months earlier to land at $855 million worldwide. Black Panther was important to to African-American viewers, but still did $646 million international (nearly $200 million less than Aquaman in China, mind you.)

We just enjoy the ride. And try to figure out the "how" so we can vaguely predict future movies.

Mario Bilo

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
A breakaway is a breakaway. How you get there is bunch of different factors. Wonder Woman had great legs as the first female-led superhero film of the modern era. Infinity War was half the culmination of the MCU. Jumanji was great counter-programming for The Last Jedi. Aquaman did nearly $300 million in China, which was as absurd as when Venom did it two months earlier to land at $855 million worldwide. Black Panther was important to to African-American viewers, but still did $646 million international (nearly $200 million less than Aquaman in China, mind you.)

We just enjoy the ride. And try to figure out the "how" so we can vaguely predict future movies.
I agree, my comment was more tongue in cheek as you often here on these boards or on the English speaking web how some movies only do well that is to China as some sort of derogatory thing. BPs extraordinary success is also very much tied to one territory.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine what a DBZ movie aimed at a wider audience in the current landscape would even look like.

....But I have a feeling we're going to find out soon.

In less than 2 months actually:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

captain-marvel-excl-scakf9.jpg

the only code left to crack is saiyan hair in live action

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I will repeat this till my dying day

Zack Snyder is the only one who would pull off a live action DBZ adaptation

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap...I had no expectations for the Broly movie and I think its safe to say Funimation didn't either.

Dragon Ball still going strong in the year of our lord 2019. Fight forever, Goku.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Man of Steel is 50% DBZ fight homage. Snyder would be a great fight choreographer, but his grimdark bullshit needs to stay FAR from Goku.
This was one of the (many) problems with Dragonball Evolution, and Goku's characterization had a lot to do with it.

A live-action DB movie done well could be dope as hell, and it's not like they couldn't take liberties with the adaptation, but turning Goku into this moody, whiny Peter Parker dork already started that movie on the wrong foot.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I actually see Shazam as a possible good influence on a live action Dragon Ball movie.

Goku is a dumb kid in an adult's body

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I will repeat this till my dying day

Zack Snyder is the only one who would pull off a live action DBZ adaptation
The Washowskis could absolutely pull it off. Well, except for maybe the hair.
But they have a sense of humor, unlike Snyder. Sadly one of them retired from filmmaking and I doubt the other one will have access to a blockbuster budget any time soon.
Man of Steel is 50% DBZ fight homage. Snyder would be a great fight choreographer, but his grimdark bullshit needs to stay FAR from Goku.
He would nail angsty Vegeta though! That character was made for him.
Vegeta and Nappa: First Class directed by Zack Snyder. Let's go.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
While other Anime movies can be seen at or coming soon to my cinemas in Sweden, Broly will not be one of them.

Must be because no sub version.
If because no dud, then it just stupid

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Ball: Evolution is what got Toriyama to go and write Battle of Gods, it's for the best that we never get another live-action adaption of Dragon Ball.
Shame on you all for even suggesting one that skips directly to the Saiyan Saga because you view the entirety of Dragon Ball before Raditz as an optional comedy prequel when it's clearly not.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shame on you all for even suggesting one that skips directly to the Saiyan Saga because you view the entirety of Dragon Ball before Raditz as an optional comedy prequel when it's clearly not.

Well that's how FUNimation has treated it, and the vast majority of American fans didn't even have the option to watch pre-Raditz Dragon Ball until many years after the fact. It just doesn't have the same nostalgic appeal for most people. If a live action Dragon Ball film ever has a chance of finding an audience, or success, it has to start in the Saiyan saga. It's like if Star Wars began with Phantom Menace instead of New Hope. Would have been dead in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.