• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlynn

Nov 6, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody has the longest legs of 2018.

It's still playing to over 1000 screens in the States after three months!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't in my humble opinion. Batman vs Superman is one of my favorite superhero movie ever. Never understood the hate. I think people love to hate it and Justice League just because of Ben Affleck.

I think it gets shit on unfairly, but it's still got huge pacing issues, has way too much going on, and a horrible ending battle.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope Spiderverse gets a sequel, had a great time watching it with my sisters a few days ago.

Bohemian Rhapsody continues its amazing run and I'm glad, also loved that movie.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It didn't in my humble opinion. Batman vs Superman is one of my favorite superhero movie ever. Never understood the hate. I think people love to hate it and Justice League just because of Ben Affleck.
Affleck's performance was far and away the most praised aspect of BvS. His performance was poor in Justice League but so was every other element of that movie. But I don't see many peeps hating BvS because of Affleck when he was easily the best thing about it.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing #s from Aquaman.

WB needs to sign Nolan to do at least 1 movie for the dceu. Doesn't have to be a big character or anything like that but hes gotta do something. He and Wan are the only ones who can do a billy.

I don't even think the new Batman from Reeves will do a billion. Even if it reviews well its probably like 900m ceiling still.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Bumblebee coming off the back of some of the worst fucking movies in modern cinematic history hurt its box office numbers, because it's a really good film.

If Paramount/Hasbro were smart, they'd at least see the positive reception towards BB in comparison to the other Transformers flicks and use it as a jumping point for a new continunity of films, free of Micheal Bay's nonsense, all while giving Travis Knight the keys to the TF kingdom. Sadly, that idiot Lorenzo Di Bonavetura keeps trying to convince himself that this is all just a prequel to the first film, when it's very clearly not.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing #s from Aquaman.

WB needs to sign Nolan to do at least 1 movie for the dceu. Doesn't have to be a big character or anything like that but hes gotta do something. He and Wan are the only ones who can do a billy.

I don't even think the new Batman from Reeves will do a billion. Even if it reviews well its probably like 900m ceiling still.
I doubt Nolan wants to do anymore CBM.

Nov 1, 2017
Aquaman doing such numbers is the stuff of dreams, sad to see Bumblebee not do so hot but those last few and by that I mean all, previous TF movies have clearly had a negative impact.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So Spider-Verse is at $275 mil globally on a $90 mil budget?

That's pretty much a resounding success yeah?

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Mary Poppins was a fun movie, but why'd they have to do Colin Firth dirty at the end like that?

less

Oct 25, 2017
Well, DC appears to have found the formula for how to make a superhero film. Not sure how well they'll apply it to future films (especially Aquaman films) but they've made considerable progress since BvS and Justice League.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
DC is back on track baby

Bring on Shazam! I bet they have some cameos in that movie.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing #s from Aquaman.

A good Batman movie that is rewatchable will make a billion. The market has grown since Nolan's trilogy and the character is popular. I don't think JL damaged future DC movies as much as feared, based on the success of Aquaman.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It's kind of unfortunate timing that Escape Room is released in the same weekend as 5 girls died in an escape room in Poland.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Verse has quietly been legging its way to an OK haul. I think Sony pauses on more spin-offs, but does go ahead with a proper Spider-Verse 2 centered on Miles.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like every year we have that one musical or music focused movie that has legs. Disney was probably hoping that would be Mary Poppins but Bohemian Rhapsody beat them to it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
How did we end up in a timeline where a Peter Jackson movie is less profitable than a Dragon Ball movie?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame Bumblebee coming off the back of some of the worst fucking movies in modern cinematic history hurt its box office numbers, because it's a really good film.

If Paramount/Hasbro were smart, they'd at least see the positive reception towards BB in comparison to the other Transformers flicks and use it as a jumping point for a new continunity of films, free of Micheal Bay's nonsense, all while giving Travis Knight the keys to the TF kingdom. Sadly, that idiot Lorenzo Di Bonavetura keeps trying to convince himself that this is all just a prequel to the first film, when it's very clearly not.

The very very end of the movie made this obvious and actually put a bad taste in my mouth. I was really feeling the movie up til that point too.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
The very very end of the movie made this obvious and actually put a bad taste in my mouth. I was really feeling the movie up til that point too.

The end of Bee doesnt line up with the Bay movies at all. Unless I'm mistaking what you're saying.

edit -

Just read Lorenzo's comments. The man is a fool if he thinks any one is going to think that.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I know the Spider-verse result isn't too bad, but after seeing it I still think it deserved more. I hope the WoM can boost it further. The reaction to this movie just seems universally positive too. Friends I've seen it with, others I've talked too, all the impressions here... It's nothing but love for the movie. I saw Bumblebee right after and even though I liked that too (especially compared to the other TF movies) Spider-verse is a one of a kind experience.

Still hope I can convince my friends to see Aquaman in IMAX.

Oct 28, 2017

It is an issue of tone. Aquaman aims to be a fun, light-hearted adventure movie. BvS is dark, dour, violent and heavy. Same thing with MoS, excessively violent. If I had kids under say 12, I would never bring them to those movies. Where's the uplift, the joy or the FUN? These movies need to be made with young kids in mind.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The end of Bee doesnt line up with the Bay movies at all. Unless I'm mistaking what you're saying.

edit -

Just read Lorenzo's comments. The man is a fool if he thinks any one is going to think that.

I didn't like how abruptly they concluded -
Charlie's story with Bee and how he just up and leaves her to join Optimus and the rest of Autobots.
It was like you could feel the producers wanting to move away from this character as fast as possible.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It is an issue of tone. Aquaman aims to be a fun, light-hearted adventure movie. BvS is dark, dour, violent and heavy. Same thing with MoS, excessively violent. If I had kids under say 12, I would never bring them to those movies. Where's the uplift, the joy or the FUN? These movies need to be made with young kids in mind.

That darker tone did not prevent the Dark Knight movies - especially Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises - to be hugely successful. So I don't think the darker aspect explains it all.

And Infinity War was as dark as it gets when you think about it. I mean half the universe is gone. It was borderline depressing toward the end.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Rami Malik wins best actor at Golden Globes, Bafta and BR gets best picture/director Oscar nominations, wouldn't be surprised if it gets a re release, would definetly add to it's already huge bo.

I'm definitely rooting for him. His performance was stellar and I'd love to see some awards for BR.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
That darker tone did not prevent the Dark Knight movies - especially Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises - to be hugely successful. So I don't think the darker aspect explains it all.

And Infinity War was as dark as it gets when you think about it. I mean half the universe is gone. It was borderline depressing toward the end.
Even Nolan's movies had moments of levity. BvS had nothing but the terrible "I thought she was with you."

This too.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Big difference here is that The Dark Knight is paced really really well. Yes, its tone is darker but there's energy in the film-making, there's a spectacle in the moving parts, the performances are enthralling.

Infinity War has alot more to juggle, but there's audience engagement and spectacle and still a mostly light tone.

You know what BVS was?

50% asking "what the fuck is happening", and 50% asking "what the fuck just happened". It is a horrendously paced and structured film, filled with seemingly neverending pointless scenes that serve to actively remove the audience's engagement.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can't agree with any of that. You can't just reduce a film like that and discard its presentation and style. Infinity War still presented its Icons as things to aspire to, had jokes, fun, and daylight. If Infinity War has a glaring problem beyond its scope, it's that it did a poor job of making the case for Thanos.

The Dark Knight films showed optimism through the contrast of the will to improve or protect and the will to destroy or corrupt. They were dark movies, but they were also actually about something and gave you a central character with qualities, goals, and aspirations worth fighting for. BvS gives you nothing and the development it DOES give to Batman 'out of left field in the bookend' is completely unearned and forced. What good is the contrast of light versus dark when your Superman is a brooding misanthrope to rival the idiotic Frank Miller Batman himself?

BvS is an incoherent mess of a film that is only interested in mucking about in its own fetishism of misery and cynicism. I mean sure it adds a dollop of 'redemption' to the top of a shit Sundae in the final 5% but I still wouldn't order that off the menus thanks.

The Dark Knight movies wove characters internal conflicts, contrasts and evolution into the script from scene one and took you on actual character studies, not a series of drunken ramblings from freshman philosophers trying to beat you into submissions so that you might buy into the fallacious masquerading of a movie having much of anything to say as dragged itself from point a to point b for enternity before the credits mercifully rolled.

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Just in case anyone was like me and wondered (for some godforsaken reason) where the fuck Mortal Engine was:
Mortal Engines (Universal) | $209,000 | 572 | $365 | -79.6% | $15,756,230 | 2.084 | 4
thanks to boxofficereport and the-numbers, though boxofficereport you could have tweeted it out and not just snuck in in your weekend report dammit I don't want to put effort into this.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of Mary Poppins. The theater was surprisingly packed and everyone seemed to enjoy it, myself included. :)

The Detective Pikachu trailer that played got a ton of good reception from everybody. I kept hearing "Wow, this looks good!" around me.

That movie is going to be huge. Guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.