• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Remember Max, that movie about the dog who gets PTSD because he had to watch his buddy Robbie Amell get murdered in war (which every Flash fan has done multiple times at this point)?

220px-Max_poster.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

max-fp-073.jpg

Well here's the sequel:

Max-2-quad-1024x771.jpg
This is too good

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
The international trailer for A Dog's Way Home is worse than the one we got locally. And by that, I mean it shows more of the film. Youtube it.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
The international trailer for A Dog's Way Home is worse than the one we got locally. And by that, I mean it shows more of the film. Youtube it.

It did, indeed, show a lot. But at least it didn't literally show the ending (which, to be fair, is in the title so what does it even matter at this point).

Edit: Also, that CGI cat looks sooooo bad next to the very clearly real dog.

Oct 31, 2017
Depends on the region.

DOM 55%
INT 40%
China 25%

Different studios can/have negotiated adjustments, but it's not like the old days where studios demanding nearly 100% of upfront grosses led to many theaters going under.

It's a bit of a simplification but not a bad rule of thumb.

You can look at the leaked Harry Potter budget for reference (ignore the funny money accounting that says it lost money, they're lying as per usual and the link goes into it)

harry-potter-net-profits.jpg

It cites the revenue splits are generating a return of 162.122m DOM, 298.06m INT off of a total gross of

Domestic: $292,004,738
Foreign: $647,881,191
Worldwide: $939,885,929

Equaling our to 55.5% DOM and 46% INT.

It's not that cut and dry in practice because on top of the revenue split, some markets have high up front costs of doing buisiness and others (like China) have virtually none.

Let's take a look at Sony's estimated returns and profit back from their entire slate during the year of 2014.

Fun fact, despite having only a 25% take from gross, the expected profit margin after expenses was 21%, exactly the same as their listed INT average. You can compare that overhead against places like Japan, 47% take, only 15% margin!

This is probably a part of the reason that China tells the studios no to easing their take to international norms.

Market — Return — Actual Margin after expenses
Japan 47% 15%
South Korea 47%19%
Germany 44%22%
Spain 44%13%
Belgium 43%26%
Switzerland 42%29%
Russia 42%22%
Austria 42%27%
Italy 41%11%
Australia 41%22%
Brazil 40%13%
Netherlands 40%28%
UK 40%23%
France 39%19%
Mexico 37%13%
China 25%21%
Average 42%21%

I hope that helps.

What is the number for %Fee?

A reminder that A Dog's Purpose made more in China than Rogue One.

Which was a crazier stat back before Star Wars died in China. Disney would be thrilled with R1 cash in China now.

The Wandering Earth has a lot of buzz, maybe it will help boost Sci-fi films in China. The genre does seem to be shifting into favor on the industry side.

Who are we kidding, Disney doesn't have a track record of good distribution/promotion in China (Gavin mentions it a lot, but he's far from the only person I've seen mention it).

StarWars is became dead as a doornail in China once TLJ bombed out due to toxic WOM. If that didn't kill StarWars in China, Space Ranger Solo sure did.

https://piaofang.maoyan.com/dashboard?date=2018-01-05

I don't think Disney can salvage SW in China. I will never say never, but they have to put in the work to get the franchise to do decent numbers there. It's embafrassing how bad it is to be honest. I hope Disney opens a SW:GE in a China 2nd park just so I can go visit and not be stuck in a line for 5 hours.

To your point though, Disney's distribution/promotion in China is lackluster from what I understand. I have been harping on the two recent SH movies numbers in China compared to the regular Marvel number and it may show us that Disney is really behind their competitors in this area.

EDIT: wait.. Avatar 2 was set under water right?

People sleeping on Avatar are going to be in for a huge surprise. I recently rewatched the movie on a plane and it was rather enjoyable, but the main reason for my confidence though is Pandora at Animal Kingdom. Both rides, especially FoP is still a 90 minute wait during slow times of the year. The thing is pretty as hell at night. That part is busy as shit. It's too early to tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar 2 breaks 1.2B between the US and China alone. Avatar 1 did 200MM in China when its BO power was but a blip on the radar.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tracking numbers come months in advance.

Hopefully it goes up. I've been rooting for it.

What is the number for %Fee?

I'm pretty tired so apologies if I misunderstood the question, but the number for the fee is just the take minus the profit margin.

In a hypothetical scenario so to say, it's not they're only making 25% off of a return of 50% (so 12.5% of the total gross) but like this:

Country — Margin of return per Dollar — Profit after expenses
China — 25% — 21%

So the Fee, or cost rather, is 4% of the total gross.

What goes into it is marketing prints, shipping, any specific regional fees or taxes, distribution, theatrical marketing that takes place in the run up and during, that sort of thing.

If you want to get technical, you'd do the formula by subtracting all of that in raw dollars from the studio take and dividing it by the total gross

([Studio Cut — Costs] x 100) / Total Gross = Cost %

I hope that answered the question!

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck is responsible for the low-key racist tomfoolery that is Aquaman?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
OK imma bite

What are you referring to
Me and my friend's unfiltered thoughts watching this.

"Of course the very first black guy we see in this is an unrepetent villain..... OH LOOK THE SECOND ONE IS TOO."

"Wow, Aquaman what a hero. Just gonna leave homeboy's dad to die in this extended scene of anguish."
Next scene
"Of course the pack of racist-looking-ass rednecks are actually sweethearts."

"Is Homeboy going to have ANY defining character trait other than rage?...No? Alright."

"Wow, they literally tied some shit around his neck and pushed Homeboy off a cliff. Straight lynched his ass."

Bonus points for the fact that the trident forgers were Chinese. Even in Atlantis white folks got the Chinese laying steel too.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my friend's unfiltered thoughts watching this.

"Of course the very first black guy we see in this is an unrepetent villain..... OH LOOK THE SECOND ONE IS TOO."

"Wow, Aquaman what a hero. Just gonna leave homeboy's dad to die in this extended scene of anguish."
Next scene
"Of course the pack of racist-looking-ass rednecks are actually sweethearts."

"Is Homeboy going to have ANY defining character trait other than rage?...No? Alright."

"Wow, they literally tied some shit around his neck and pushed Homeboy off a cliff. Straight lynched his ass."

Bonus points for the fact that the trident forgers were Chinese. Even in Atlantis white folks got the Chinese laying steel too.
Ah so this is a troll.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so this is a troll.
The framing is because I know how fragile ERA can be. But the sentiments aren't: the actual treatment of black characters (and I use the term characters lightly) in this post-Black Panther, post-Spider-Verse world was shit.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
The framing is because I know how fragile ERA can be. But the sentiments aren't: the actual treatment of black characters (and I use the term characters lightly) in this post-Black Panther, post-Spider-Verse world was shit.

Ignoring that the lead/hero isn't a white man and neither is the director is hmm...

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Just because we in "Post Black Panther/Spider-Verse" world, Black people can't be villains? And you are calling ERA fragile after saying that?

Last edited:

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018

???

you do know the director and lead actor are POCs too, right?

and what the hell are you on about, Black Manta was awesome as fuck. I WISH we could get a latino bad guy half as cool as him. Are you really saying black folks can't be villains anymore?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just because we in "Post Black Panther/Spider-Verse" world, Black people can't be villains.
I guess you missed me celebrating Killmonger the few times "Black Panther is overrated" topics have cropped up. Also--
Prowler was also similarly amazing.
you do know the director and lead actor are POCs too, right?
Yes? That doesn't actually matter.

and what the hell are you on about, Black Manta was awesome as fuck.
Was he really? Flat characterization, his costume looked like the robot from Rocky 4, for some reason he had this weird stilted dialogue performance when in the suit (granted the acting overall was abysmal), and I just never believed him a credible threat. The only time I mildly liked him was when--
He was reformatting the Atlantean tech for the suit and almost had his head taken off. His expression when rising back up over the table was a little amusing. But then the delivery of that banal "I need a bigger helmet" line ruined it.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I guess you missed me celebrating Killmonger the few times "Black Panther is overrated" topics have cropped up. Also--
Prowler was also similarly amazing.

Yes? That doesn't actually matter.

Was he really? Flat characterization, his costume looked like the robot from Rocky 4, for some reason he had this weird stilted dialogue performance when in the suit (granted the acting overall was abysmal), and I just never believed him a credible threat. The only time I mildly liked him was when--
He was reformatting the Atlantean tech for the suit and almost had his head taken off. His expression when rising back up over the table was a little amusing. But then the delivery of that banal "I need a bigger helmet" line ruined it.

This wasn't Black Manta's movie though, this was about Orm. Think about it more like an intro to Aquaman's greatest enemy and one of the most badass villains of DC. He'll get further expanded on in the sequel, you did stick around for the mid-credits didn't you? He'll get his due and you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This wasn't Black Manta's movie though, this was about Orm. Think about it more like an intro to Aquaman's greatest enemy and one of the most badass villains of DC. He'll get further expanded on in the sequel, you did stick around for the mid-credits didn't you? He'll get his due and you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.
I stuck around for the scene. Didn't care. Unless the sequel reviews significantly better I won't be coming back. I gave it an honest chance. Should've saw Spider-Verse a third time.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? If Black Panther had an embarrassing gay stereotype of a character, LGBT people would be right to point that out.

Black Panther legit erased the LGBTQ background of a character, though...

To the first line, dimishing diversity of the director and lead of a hugely successful movie to argue that a character... is the character he's always been in the comics through some mighty reaching like "a character taken out by a chain... lynching???" is wack. Also ignoring that the military leader is played by a Chinese actor..

No one cares if you didn't like the movie, a lot of people didn't, but those racist claims are side eye territory.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther legit erased the LGBTQ background of a character, though...
And I'm not gonna get mad at LGBT people for pointing that out. I don't actually think that's right. Who's the character if I may ask?

To the first line, dimishing diversity of the director and lead of a hugely successful movie to argue that a character... is the character he's always been in the comics through some mighty reaching like "a character taken out by a chain... lynching???" is wack.
If Black Manta has always been like that, and they're not gonna do anything with him to make him likeable beyond his comic book ragey stylings, then I don't much care for the sequel. I went in part to see this because I actually trust James Wan as a director from The Conjuring films. Haven't seen Momoa in anything else but I will admit he's undoubtedly the best part of the whole shitshow. That also wasn't my only complaint with Black Manta's characterization.

Also ignoring that the military leader is played by a Chinese actor..
Gonna be honest. Could not tell that guy was Chinese. I thought you were talking about the news guest for a second.

EDIT: Further shout-out to Djimon Hounsou--
For getting fucking wrecked. His queen's tepid reaction coupled with the full body shot of his floating corpse had me dying for the rest of the film.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stuck around for the scene. Didn't care. Unless the sequel reviews significantly better I won't be coming back. I gave it an honest chance. Should've saw Spider-Verse a third time.

I get not liking the movie, but it sounds like you really didn't like the movie and are motivated reasoning the heck out of it. Especially when you conflate both of the arguments you're making.

Like it being or not being racist makes it bad for completely different reasons. Not that the movie being or not being racist can't be a valid point in why the movie is bad overall, but you're responding to posts, that are specifically addressing the racism argument (that's what the bad take posts are about), by talking about how the quality of the movie itself sucks, bringing up acting etc.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
And I'm not gonna get mad at LGBT people for pointing that out. I don't actually think that's right. Who's the character if I may ask?

If Black Manta has always been like that, and they're not gonna do anything with him to make him likeable beyond his comic book ragey stylings, then I don't much care for the sequel. I went in part to see this because I actually trust James Wan as a director from The Conjuring films. Haven't seen Momoa in anything else but I will admit he's undoubtedly the best part of the whole shitshow. That also wasn't my only complaint with Black Manta's characterization.

Gonna be honest. Could not tell that guy was Chinese. I thought you were talking about the news guest for a second.

EDIT: Further shout-out to Djimon Hounsou--
For getting fucking wrecked. His queen's tepid reaction coupled with the full body shot of his floating corpse had me dying for the rest of the film.

re: BP, Ayo, the Dora from Civil War and again BP.

re: Black Manta, I get wanting deeper motivation for him. But it's not putting it lightly that his character has always been a world class hater of Aquaman.

Shallow and petty as hell? Absolutely. But the dude owns it.

PUgH75g.jpg

He's a tenacious prick who fucking hates Aquaman. Hell, the whole revenge for father angle is relatively new. It's been "Manta, why do you hate Aquaman?"..."why not? Fuck him" for a long time before it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I get not liking the movie, but it sounds like you really didn't like the movie and are motivated reasoning the heck out of it. Especially when you conflate both of the arguments you're making.
I'm not sure how this post follows from what I responded to. The poster I quoted specifically said that Black Manta was fucking awesome regardless of any context about the quality of representation on screen. I listed some general reasons why I didn't think he was awesome, like his acting, outfit, and one-dimensional motivations. They asked if I stuck around for the mid-credits scene; I said I did, and that it didn't do anything to give me hope that he would be redeemed in the sequel. This is a valid tangent of discussion that's separate from my charge that the racial representation was lacking in quality. I'm not conflating the two as the same argument.

re: BP, Ayo, the Dora from Civil War and again BP.
That's a damn shame; I had no idea.
Black Manta, I get wanting deeper motivation for him. But it's not putting it lightly that his character has always been a world class hater of Aquaman.

Shallow and petty as hell? Absolutely. But the dude owns it.
Ennnnggghhhh I don't like it.

However, I won't sit here and say that I dislike all characters that are one-dimensional or are more of a concept than a character. BoG Beerus for example is a guy who is just a feline symbol of apathetic universal destruction. And if nothing else, the death of Homeboy's father is actually perfect motivation for his hatred. We spend a relatively long time watching him fail to save the man. There's like a ball of an idea there. But he hates Aquaman before that, and it made me wonder if I'd missed some context from refusing to watch Justice League. A hatred that deep and shallow implies some sort of history. If really all it is is just "Fuck Aquaman," then, I mean...I kinda don't care about him because I know there's not going to be any real development beyond that.

Last edited:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
This is more of a comic-book comment since I haven't seen the movie yet but Black Manta is brilliant because of how the writers have committed to him being an irrational and unstoppable dickhead for such a long time. That's probably hard to translate in just one movie.

It's the same reason why the Joker is one of the few villains that works better without motivations or even an origin story. The thing about Manta's father is barely a footnote. But him being such a monumental force of nature in the DC Universe (while being powerless) aimed at Aquaman for basically no reason is what makes him so memorable. He almost drowned the entire Earth just to fuck with Aquaman last month in the comics, while the entire Legion of Doom was unsuccessfully trying to get him to chill. He gives no fucks and it's great.

Also, his helmet is dope.

I can't really comment about the rest of the complaints.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
It's concerning that a moderator is derailing a thread so badly with worthless nitpicks lmao

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
This is more of a comic-book comment since I haven't seen the movie yet but Black Manta is brilliant because of how the writers have committed to him being an irrational and unstoppable dickhead for such a long time. That's probably hard to translate in just one movie.

It's the same reason why the Joker is one of the few villains that works better without motivations or even an origin story. The thing about Manta's father is barely a footnote. But him being such a monumental force of nature in the DC Universe (while being powerless) aimed at Aquaman for basically no reason is what makes him so memorable. He almost drowned the entire Earth just to fuck with Aquaman last month in the comics, while the entire Legion of Doom was unsuccessfully trying to get him to chill. He gives no fucks and it's great.

Also, his helmet is dope.

I can't really comment about the rest of the complaints.
That was fantastic. The story tried to give him some deeper motivation about taking life from the sea or whatever, but it still ultimately boiled down to "Fuck Aquaman and everybody that love him."

Even Lex was like, "
dwill.png
Damn you really hate that motherfucker, huh?"

He's a pirate. Aquaman stops pirates.

It's not that hard to understand
He literally says this in the movie.

Even Arthur didn't get what his problem was.

Nov 13, 2017
Saw the latest trailer for Alita yesterday before Escape Room.

...it looks pretty good. Or maybe every movie looks good when you have A-List.

Status
Not open for further replies.