• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
re: BP, Ayo, the Dora from Civil War and again BP.

re: Black Manta, I get wanting deeper motivation for him. But it's not putting it lightly that his character has always been a world class hater of Aquaman.

Shallow and petty as hell? Absolutely. But the dude owns it.

PUgH75g.jpg

He's a tenacious prick who fucking hates Aquaman. Hell, the whole revenge for father angle is relatively new. It's been "Manta, why do you hate Aquaman?"..."why not? Fuck him" for a long time before it.
This is more of a comic-book comment since I haven't seen the movie yet but Black Manta is brilliant because of how the writers have committed to him being an irrational and unstoppable dickhead for such a long time. That's probably hard to translate in just one movie.

It's the same reason why the Joker is one of the few villains that works better without motivations or even an origin story. The thing about Manta's father is barely a footnote. But him being such a monumental force of nature in the DC Universe (while being powerless) aimed at Aquaman for basically no reason is what makes him so memorable. He almost drowned the entire Earth just to fuck with Aquaman last month in the comics, while the entire Legion of Doom was unsuccessfully trying to get him to chill. He gives no fucks and it's great.

Also, his helmet is dope.

I can't really comment about the rest of the complaints.

LOL then I'm looking forward to seeing more of Manta in the sequel! Dude sounds like a total cunt and I love it. In Aquaman I definitely got those vibes from Yahya's Manta.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Black Manta's got the Boba Fett role for me because I'm a major fan of the character solely because his suit looks so damn cool.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. Theater in my area is still running Bumblebee and has it at a decent time. Might be able to see it after all.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone actually see Mortal Engines? I did. Visuals were pretty novel, worldbuilding was nice. Imagine Mad Max as YA sci-fi PG dystopia with roving cities instead of War Rigs and you get the gist. Plot was really overstuffed (too many subplots) and too many characters to balance but it wasn't all completely terrible. Kinda want to read the books now. It could have been a perfectly entertaining movie with a more streamlined plot and more charismatic cast (think daisey Ridley and John Boyega).

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just saw The Mule, Green Book and The Favourite.

While The Favourite was absolutely brilliant and twisted (like all Lanthimos' movies) The Mule was so self-ironic that it came out like a goofy comedy. Clint is still trying to stir some shit.

Green Book was also awesome. Funny, witty and touching: "Don't judge a man by his clothes", like Doc said. Awesome script.

All really good and very different kind of movies.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Look I know you probably worked really hard on Mortal Engines but you really don't have to take it out on fish guy lmao. You'll get em next time Mr. Jackson. We're here for you, the lotr trilogy is still pretty fire tbh.
If I were connected enough to be a notable director I wouldn't be astroturfing a video game forum. Besides, I want to be an animator. Either Disney or DreamWorks.

Thanks for thinking so highly of me however!

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
If I were connected enough to be a notable director I wouldn't be astroturfing a video game forum. Besides, I want to be an animator. Either Disney or DreamWorks.

Thanks for thinking so highly of me however!
Gary Whitta used to post on gaf, ya never can tell for sure. For all I know you could be neil breen. Or some kinda doggo 🐕.

I've cracked it, Uwe Boll you rascal 🤠

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I never thought I'd see a staff member fight with a no good punk ass from Strangers with Candy about whether or not this comic book movie involving a black guy with a big ass helmet and laser eyes was good

but here we are, 2019

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
That was fantastic. The story tried to give him some deeper motivation about taking life from the sea or whatever, but it still ultimately boiled down to "Fuck Aquaman and everybody that love him."

Even Lex was like, "
dwill.png
Damn you really hate that motherfucker, huh?"

He literally says this in the movie.

Even Arthur didn't get what his problem was.
Damn how is the justice league comic nowadays?

Haven't read an issue since the first arc tied up.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd see a staff member fight with a no good punk ass from Strangers with Candy about whether or not this comic book movie involving a black guy with a big ass helmet and laser eyes was good

but here we are, 2019
Keepin' it real about a mediocre film didn't have to result in a fight tho. Not my fault.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017

but here we are, 2019

6cd.jpg

Keepin' it real about a mediocre film didn't have to result in a fight tho. Not my fault.

"Of course the pack of racist-looking-ass rednecks are actually sweethearts." Why should a bunch of random ass bikers be racist, lmao. With takes like that this is at least entirely your fault 😋🤠🦀🌊

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Juxtapositions. Things aren't ever isolated. It's not not there. =P
Black manta and his dad are pirates. They kill innocent people. Dad plays himself and gets trapped. Aquaman leaves dad to die, cause like honestly fuck him. Dad goes boom, manta is angry the rest of the movie (and I guess his life?!? Lol). I guess the next scene is the biker guys approaching Aquaman who turn out to be not racist. Silly picture sequence ensues.

What is the problem exactly? I get that the writing and acting in the movie could be improved but I'm not seeing James Wan with some nefarious diet racism in the portrayal of the poc characters in the movie.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So looks like Glass is shit

There goes M Nights comeback and any chance of the movie breaking out

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
The trailers always looked super goofy to me. In a non-intentional way.
But the movie is still gonna be ultra profitable considering the budget.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Can we go back to talking about silly animal movies and not about how a movie I've been waiting a decade for eats a whole entire anus?

Oh hey look MVP: Most Valuable Primate

v1.bTsxMTI5NDk1NjtqOzE3OTk1OzEyMDA7MTk5ODsyNjY0

Wow they made a sequel, MVP 2: Most Vertical Primate.

Must have been tough to come up with that title.

51BT5JNX7EL.jpg

Oh phew they have a double bundle

5115pBJCIsL.jpg

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trailers always looked super goofy to me. In a non-intentional way.
But the movie is still gonna be ultra profitable considering the budget.

Yeah it's only $20 million so it should still post a good profit.

But it certainly hurts the narrative that was forming that M Night is back. This movie being his most hyped in what seems like forever turning out to be shit is going to hurt his next project

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Can we go back to talking about silly animal movies and not about how a movie I've been waiting a decade for eats a whole entire anus?

Oh hey look MVP: Most Valuable Primate

v1.bTsxMTI5NDk1NjtqOzE3OTk1OzEyMDA7MTk5ODsyNjY0

Wow they made a sequel, MVP 2: Most Vertical Primate.

Must have been tough to come up with that title.

51BT5JNX7EL.jpg

Oh phew they have a double bundle

5115pBJCIsL.jpg
Is that related to the airbud cinematic universe? These crossovers are getting increasingly more ambitious.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah it's only $20 million so it should still post a good profit.

But it certainly hurts the narrative that was forming that M Night is back. This movie being his most hyped in what seems like forever turning out to be shit is going to hurt his next project

oh jeez i didnt see the embargo ended

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.