• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
I would suggest you refrain from making jokes about forces you don't fully understand in the future.

logo-full.png

https://www.airbud.com/
I....I don't.....I have so many questions...how...

There are so many

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I
manta is angry the rest of the movie (and I guess his life?!? Lol).
I genuinely laughed at this.

But for real--

Black manta and his dad are pirates. They kill innocent people. Dad plays himself and gets trapped. Aquaman leaves dad to die, cause like honestly fuck him. Dad goes boom, manta is angry the rest of the movie (and I guess his life?!? Lol). I guess the next scene is the biker guys approaching Aquaman who turn out to be not racist. Silly picture sequence ensues.

What is the problem exactly? I get that the writing and acting in the movie could be improved but I'm not seeing James Wan with some nefarious diet racism in the portrayal of the poc characters in the movie.
To me it's just a tone deaf juxtaposition of a shallow raging black man introduced right before the threatening white bikers who actually possess hearts of gold, pink phone cases and everything. Overall though, Homeboy seemingly hates Aquaman before his father gets trapped, suggesting a history that going by rebuttals actually isn't there anyway. He's just a dick. His sheer lack of depth comes across more as a comic reference for the existing fanbase, and that doesn't really satisfy me as a total newcomer. Without that knowledge, he's just an angry black guy, and I'm not satisfied with that. I'm spoiled. And honestly an easy fix would've just been to cut out any context that implies he hated Aquaman before or give him some other personality traits or the idea of a thoughtful human being in there, to put the entire catalyst for revenge on his father's death.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
To me it's just a tone deaf juxtaposition of a shallow raging black man introduced right before the threatening white bikers who actually possess hearts of gold, pink phone cases and everything. Overall though, Homeboy seemingly hates Aquaman before his father gets trapped, suggesting a history that going by rebuttals actually isn't there anyway. He's just a dick. His sheer lack of depth comes across more as a comic reference for the existing fanbase, and that doesn't really satisfy me as a total newcomer. Without that knowledge, he's just an angry black guy, and I'm not satisfied with that. I'm spoiled. And honestly an easy fix would've just been to cut out any context that implies he hated Aquaman before or give him some other personality traits or the idea of a thoughtful human being in there, to put the entire catalyst for revenge on his father's death.
I've watched the movie twice and I never got the feeling Manta and Aquaman had a history beforehand. Manta only knows of Aquaman because he (Aquaboy) has been a well known figure since the events of Justice League. And it's not like he hates Aquaboy beforehand, he's just wary of him and knows he has to take him out first chance he gets due to his reputation and the danger he represents to his line of "work".
Glass is this years BvS
Please don't break my heart.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
To me it's just a tone deaf juxtaposition of a shallow raging black man introduced right before the threatening white bikers who actually possess hearts of gold, pink phone cases and everythin

Are you serious with this? White bikers in movies are usually stereotypicaly loud tough guys who get drunk and start fights at bars. That's what makes the scene funny. It was actually the funniest scene in the whole movie.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So looks like Glass is shit

There goes M Nights comeback and any chance of the movie breaking out

Glass never had any of the DNA of Unbreakable and certainly did not have anywhere near its production talent, budget, or peak M Night behind it. A sequel to Unbreakable was always going to be hard to realize, but making it a film that attempts to merge the two, like, polar opposite movies? Always seemed like couting disaster.

Where are all those people who called my take shit? :P

I guess we'll see what it ends up being once it's out.

Edit: Holy balls at those spoilers

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
After watching a couple of reviews, Glass seems to be more polarizing than outright terrible. Temper your expectations and maybe you'll enjoy it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious with this? White bikers in movies are usually stereotypicaly loud tough guys who get drunk and start fights at bars. That's what makes the scene funny. It was actually the funniest scene in the whole movie.
Lies. Funniest scene was--
the Fish King getting murdered. "My king!"
Laughed my fucking ass off. Kept snickering for about twenty minutes afterwards.

Intentionally funny, the "Bogey on your six" scene, and the boat scene were better. Biker scene was too poorly acted and telegraphed to manage more than an eyeroll.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
To me it's just a tone deaf juxtaposition of a shallow raging black man introduced right before the threatening white bikers who actually possess hearts of gold, pink phone cases and everything.
Huh. That moment seemed innocuous to me, as did most of the movie haha. Like it seemed to go out of the way to be as broad as possible. I didn't feel it was shallow raging, felt like genuine fear for his father and hate for Aquaman. But hey if that's your read, that's your read.

The reason I brought up your critique at all is I hadn't seen many people go into those specifics about people of color like you did.

James Wan felt weird about Lovecrafts influence on him as well as his work. Lovecraft being xenophobic as fuck for one haha. He made peace with it and felt ok. Having Aquaman be bi-racial and good representation for where humanity is heading. there aren't like, a ton of people that look like Jason Mamoa on the big screen.

It seems to me like James Wan stripped the movie down to be more like a old school adventure movie. With black manta being the secondary villian, well. Somethings get more simplified than others lol.

Ideally should all characters have subtlety and nuance with all the depth you (and I) crave? Sure, absolutely. But the movie is also called Aquaman and he carries around a giant fork. I know you mentioned you are a newcomer to all things aquaman. Let me tell you, this movie could have gone south so many ways. Aquaman is fucking weird. The fact that we got a serviceable movie in the first place is a miracle.

I know you said you are out for the sequel, but black manta is likely the singular focus for the villian in aqua2. I wouldn't count out black manta returning a more well defined character. This movie was Arthur vs orm, gotta leave something for the sequel 😋.

Maybe black manta doesn't improve in the sequel. I think he will. James Wan is an interesting filmmaker, just cause his movie was successful doesn't mean he won't improve areas for the next one (assuming he signs on of course).

Also the design of black manta's suit is fucking dope and I'll fight you tooth and nail forever on that lol.

This thread derail is the fault of gritty and NO one else.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If Morbius makes more than Dracula Untold, I'll concede that I'll never understand the box office.

It's the same screenwriters!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I kept expecting that tweet to end with 'Morbius cancelled' or something.

Imagine if Morbius over performs at all. The salt will be glorious.

I feel like no one should be surprised by superhero movie performance at the box office any more. Every studio has defied expectations one way or another.

Marvel: "Guardians of the Galaxy? The fuck is that? Who cares about a raccoon and a talking tree?"

Answer: Everyone

WB: "Aquaman? After that fucking flop of a Justice League movie? They can't even get Batman and Superman right, who's gonna watch this weird ass C-tier bullshit?"

Sony: "Venom? A movie about a Spider-Man villain that doesn't even have Spider-Man in it? And Sony is terrible! Who the fuck is gonna watch this garbage?"

so yeah Morbius is probably gonna do great. or awful. wouldn't be surprised either way.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Morbius makes more than Dracula Untold, I'll concede that I'll never understand the box office.

It's the same screenwriters!

Was Dracula untold any good? That might give me some optimism about Morbius. I wonder how they will tied it into Venom in the trailer, in the most Sony way possible.

Edit: oh, the writers are Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless.... nothing special, but lost in space (2018), and Power Rangers were ... decent?

Directed by Life's Daniel Espinosa.... who I feel like did a decent job considering the script.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Was Dracula untold any good? That might give me some optimism about Morbius. I wonder how they will tied it into Venom in the trailer, in the most Sony way possible.
I actually liked it and Luke Evans is a great actor. I don't think it did well with critics, but it's more inoffensive than anything. Not straight garbage like Venom.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like no one should be surprised by superhero movie performance at the box office any more. Every studio has defied expectations one way or another.

Marvel: "Guardians of the Galaxy? The fuck is that? Who cares about a raccoon and a talking tree?"

WB: "Aquaman? After that fucking flop of a Justice League movie? They can't even get Batman and Superman right, who's gonna watch this weird ass C-tier bullshit?"

Sony: "Venom? A movie about a Spider-Man villain that doesn't even have Spider-Man in it? And Sony is terrible! Who the fuck is gonna watch this garbage?"

so yeah Morbius is probably gonna do great. or awful. wouldn't be surprised either way.
In each of these cases, I was scratching my head why anyone thought they couldn't work. Aquaman was the only one where I thought people had a case, but only before the trailers started dropping and we saw how much buzz it was getting.

All three did perform way better than I thought they would, though.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was disappointed that it didn't do well enough to continue with a sequel. I personally liked it, I also like Luke Evans a lot so I may be biased. This movie along with King Arthur (recent one) should have done better :(

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly really excited curious to see what this even turns out to be. Will there be a Venom cameo?!

I bet anything that we will at least get a post credits teaser, and some footage of Venom on a TV, or allusion/dialogue speaking to the events of the Venom film.

I've been considering that Carnage might end up being a Loki like figure in the Venomverse, in the sense that he will be the villain that a bunch of them team up to take down in a cross over film.

Most people don't remember that Morbius actually helped Spider-Man and Venom and had a role in Maximum Carnage.

d75f7dd0233d52b38df5231723adc8a3.jpg

On the other hand... how do you hold off Carnage for some Venomverse Avengers thing if it means you pass up the sequel to Venom being called Venom 2: Maximum Carnage? The title alone will make bank

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was disappointed that it didn't do well enough to continue with a sequel. I personally liked it, I also like Luke Evans a lot so I may be biased. This movie along with King Arthur (recent one) should have done better :(

Well the director of Morbius did (imo) pretty well with Sony's 'Life' from 2017, given the script.

Apparently Leto (much like Hardy) is very hard to sign to projects. He said yes almost immediately and loves the character. Maybe it will turn out ok.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. That moment seemed innocuous to me, as did most of the movie haha. Like it seemed to go out of the way to be as broad as possible. I didn't feel it was shallow raging, felt like genuine fear for his father and hate for Aqua
Black Manta showed up on screen already looking pissed off. Even towards his father I saw little in terms of affection up until he was doomed. It was an off-putting character because he was so generic that I couldn't help but feel a sheer carelessness on part of the writer, and again it's not like I was looking for anything specific anyway. I know squat about Aquaman aside from he controls the sea and shit.

The reason I brought up your critique at all is I hadn't seen many people go into those specifics about people of color like you did.

James Wan felt weird about Lovecrafts influence on him as well as his work. Lovecraft being xenophobic as fuck for one haha. He made peace with it and felt ok. Having Aquaman be bi-racial and good representation for where humanity is heading. there aren't like, a ton of people that look like Jason Mamoa on the big screen.
Well, I'm of the mind that representation isn't really sacrosanct due to intersectionality. You can get some things right and some things wrong depending upon the circumstance.

I didn't know much about the HP Lovecraft influence and Wan's indecisiveness about it, insofar as I felt it was overwhelmingly obvious. I mean, a fantasy sea movie's gotta have a tentacled Kraken, and that thing didn't feel particularly in the vain of Lovecraft as a result, mainly because they punked out and showed the whole thing anyway.

But good on Wan for recognizing the potential issue there nonetheless. Again, I actually like him as a director and came to see it because of him. Momoa is awesome too- undoubtedly the best thing of the whole film- and I hope he becomes a trailblazer in that regard because he's charming. Similarly the whole context about miscegenation and the duality of biraciality wasn't lost on me (although tbf it was hammered home hard,) especially in comparison to his blonde-haired, blue-eyed "purebred" brother who looked like Marshall Mathers. =P

I just honestly felt Black Manta sucked. But again, that's the thoughts of a fresh face coming off of Spider-Verse twice with no idea what to expect. Maybe he's exactly like in the comics, in which case good on Wan for consistency with the source material, I guess.

Let me tell you, this movie could have gone south so many ways. Aquaman is fucking weird. The fact that we got a serviceable movie in the first place is a miracle.
I'm not gonna give them a pass on that one when GotG exists. I don't even think any of the concepts on display were unfilmable. I just think the whole film lacks a certain polish, a wit, a je ne sais quoi if you will. It's got this whole undercurrent of B-movie stylings that it's a groaner. xP

Also the design of black manta's suit is fucking dope and I'll fight you tooth and nail forever on that
Nigga looked like the Rocky 4 robot cosplaying as Fulgore.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair enough, I guess we'll have agree to disagree on certain things as we definitely came away from the movie differently. To be fair to me(and I'll always be fair to me) you did come guns blazing into a box office thread with hot takes on aquaman 😋, again I blame gritty for this.

It's got this whole undercurrent of B-movie stylings that it's a groaner. xP

I appreciate where you are coming from with gotg comparison but like almost the entire world doubted the movie before it came out. Everywhere. Again, I guess agree to disagree as I don't think Aquaman works without the b movie feel. At least for the first movie. All those trappings seemed a very intentional throw back.

You seem very reasonable and I appreciate yo...

Nigga looked like the Rocky 4 robot cosplaying as Fulgore.

... you motherfucker lmao

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I bet anything that we will at least get a post credits teaser, and some footage of Venom on a TV, or allusion/dialogue speaking to the events of the Venom film.

I've been considering that Carnage might end up being a Loki like figure in the Venomverse, in the sense that he will be the villain that a bunch of them team up to take down in a cross over film.

Most people don't remember that Morbius actually helped Spider-Man and Venom and had a role in Maximum Carnage.

d75f7dd0233d52b38df5231723adc8a3.jpg

On the other hand... how do hold off Carnage for some Venomverse Avengers thing if it means you pass up Venom 2 being called Venom: Maximum Carnage? Because that title alone will make bank
Oh shit is that Spawn?

Todd McFarlane confirmed for Venom 2?

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully it goes up. I've been rooting for it.

I'm pretty tired so apologies if I misunderstood the question, but the number for the fee is just the take minus the profit margin.

In a hypothetical scenario so to say, it's not they're only making 25% off of a return of 50% (so 12.5% of the total gross) but like this:

Country — Margin of return per Dollar — Profit after expenses
China — 25% — 21%

So the Fee, or cost rather, is 4% of the total gross.

What goes into it is marketing prints, shipping, any specific regional fees or taxes, distribution, theatrical marketing that takes place in the run up and during, that sort of thing.

If you want to get technical, you'd do the formula by subtracting all of that in raw dollars from the studio take and dividing it by the total gross

([Studio Cut — Costs] x 100) / Total Gross = Cost %

I hope that answered the question!

I'm kinda shocked by these numbers. In other words, a film has to gross roughly 5 times it's production cost just to break even? And that's before factoring in marketing expense? o.O

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Morbius will at the very least make money after production budget, marketing etc. It's a vampire/horror/superhero releasing in October. Like, helloooooooooo, that will make money. Not saying it will be venom but it will not bomb by any metric except for maybe critically

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Huh. That moment seemed innocuous to me, as did most of the movie haha. Like it seemed to go out of the way to be as broad as possible. I didn't feel it was shallow raging, felt like genuine fear for his father and hate for Aquaman. But hey if that's your read, that's your read.

It seems to me like James Wan stripped the movie down to be more like a old school adventure movie. With black manta being the secondary villian, well. Somethings get more simplified than others lol.

Ideally should all characters have subtlety and nuance with all the depth you (and I) crave? Sure, absolutely. But the movie is also called Aquaman and he carries around a giant fork. I know you mentioned you are a newcomer to all things aquaman. Let me tell you, this movie could have gone south so many ways. Aquaman is fucking weird. The fact that we got a serviceable movie in the first place is a miracle.

I know you said you are out for the sequel, but black manta is likely the singular focus for the villian in aqua2. I wouldn't count out black manta returning a more well defined character. This movie was Arthur vs orm, gotta leave something for the sequel 😋.

Maybe black manta doesn't improve in the sequel. I think he will. James Wan is an interesting filmmaker, just cause his movie was successful doesn't mean he won't improve areas for the next one (assuming he signs on of course).

Also the design of black manta's suit is fucking dope and I'll fight you tooth and nail forever on that lol.

This thread derail is the fault of gritty and NO one else.

Re: Lovecraft, I'm so glad this stuff is in the movie. It's a good film but once the Lovecraft stuff kicks in it really became GREAT for me. Loved the shot of the Dunwich Horror on Arthur's dad's coffee table.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Andrews v Blunt: Dawn of Justice

What I liked most about Returns was seeing the passage of time's impact on the Banks children (and London as a whole really, in the dreary years between WWI and II). I don't think you can play that card again, unless they want to drop the Banks part entirely and jump ahead further in time. I had a mostly kidding, but now semi-serious idea of a third movie being set in the 60s, and contrasting Poppins with the mod scene.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Let's hope they keep the same director or someone with the same caliber for Bumblebee 2 - A Transformers Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.