• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Queen still being mega-popular is just a quirk in my country, turns out its a world wide phenomenon .

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In my country, in any all-time music top 1000, Bohemian Rhapsody reaches the top 10. it could be the youth pop channel, the rock channel, the oldies channel, the old people channel, ... it doesn't matter. It is a top 10 song.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Morbius will at the very least make money after production budget, marketing etc. It's a vampire/horror/superhero releasing in October. Like, helloooooooooo, that will make money. Not saying it will be venom but it will not bomb by any metric except for maybe critically
Well when you put it like that...
But that description also reminds me of Dracula Untold and that was...yeah

Oct 25, 2017
A Dog's Way Home was absolute garbage and nearly entirely false advertisement for the actual tone of the movie.

That said the ticket was worth it alone for the laugh I got from the Wilhelm scream.
Honestly the best i'd ever seen, so amazingly out of place and random for this movie.
Me, my brother and his GF were destroyed.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
inb4 Stairway to Heaven and Hey Jude gross $700m+ each, ushering in the Rock Cinematic Universe

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Watched Spider-verse a second time.

100% my favourite movie out of 2018.

Top 5 would be: Spider-verse, MI:6, A Quiet Place, Aquaman and Bumblebee.

less

Oct 25, 2017
BR hitting $750 million is something that I don't think anyone seriously expected. Trying to say that it was guaranteed to be a massive hit is nuts.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
These ex-China number for Bohemian Rhapsody are bonkers.

That also shows the importance and growth of the Chinese BO. It has/is becoming a huge monster and something that changes the narrative. Aquaman and Venom would have done okayish-good if China wasn't in the picture. If only studios can negotiate for higher percentage...

I'll be very interested to see how the 4-5 CBM (CM, Shazam, Endgames, FFH, Joker if it gets released) will perform in China and if Aquaman/Venom are the new norm or outliers for CBM BO in China.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
That also shows the importance and growth of the Chinese BO. It has/is becoming a huge monster and something that changes the narrative. Aquaman and Venom would have done okayish-good if China wasn't in the picture. If only studios can negotiate for higher percentage...

I'll be very interested to see how the 4-5 CBM (CM, Shazam, Endgames, FFH, Joker if it gets released) will perform in China and if Aquaman/Venom are the new norm or outliers for CBM BO in China.
My guess is that they will be outliers. Both movies had very good ad campaigns in China; Aquaman with the power Tencent and Venom with the power of good boyfriend Venom.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting something like 300-400mil for BR WW. But 750 is fucking insane, more so without China.

The people behind the Elton John pic are licking their lips now

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
worldwide simultaneous wide release for a dragon ball movie with legit marketing would beat avatar

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
My guess is that they will be outliers. Both movies had very good ad campaigns in China; Aquaman with the power Tencent and Venom with the power of good boyfriend Venom.
Venom was also Tencent. So is Bumblebee and that seems to be doing good too, though not exactly setting the world in fire.

Not sure which CBM Tencent will co-produce next. The Endgame will do big numbers in China just like in the rest of the world but I'd say Captain Marvel wouldn't be so big here. Shazam depends on the ad campaign. Wonder how WW 84 will do in 2020 as the first one was co-produced by Tencent but back then they didn't have their marketing game down like now. If Birds of Prey releases in China expect that to be do around Venom numbers, Harley Quinn is super popular here.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Bryan Cranston must be sighing heavily into his coffee right now. Hart's homophobic antics have put the film at risk.
The film being a shitty remake of a not great film that was originally going to be distributed by Weinstein put the film at risk.

(Sadly) I doubt that Hart being a jackass plays majorly into its box office.

Eddie

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Intouchables is not great? Eh...

Movie works remarkably well when it probably had no right to do so. Was pretty great imo

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The film being a shitty remake of a not great film that was originally going to be distributed by Weinstein put the film at risk.

(Sadly) I doubt that Hart being a jackass plays majorly into its box office.
yeah I was reading ow this film has been in production in some form since 2011, then when it was made it was shelved due to the weinstein mess.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Sony/Bona Film has the family canine film A Dog's Way Home based on the W. Bruce Cameron novel, who also penned A Dog's Purpose, which became an Amblin/Universal movie. Way Home is not sequel. The pic earned $535K at 2,657 locations that started at 5PM. The studio is expecting a $9M-$10M opening. The pic, directed by Charles Martin Smith, cost a reported $18M net and will play at 3,090 locations.

Friendly reminder Charles Martin Smith is also famous for being "guy wearing glasses" from American Graffiti and The Untouchables. Also directed Air Bud.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't realize that Upside was a remake, but now remember seeing long ago a trailer for a foreign movie that was essentially the same plot and totally forgot about.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
to add to that:
sonywontstopcantstopw5nfra.png

and via BOM:
Sony's A Dog's Way Home took in $535,000 from previews beginning at 5PM in 2,657 locations. While Sony is still saying they expect a $9-10 million debut, this performance is actually ahead of the $455k in previews A Dog's Purpose brought in from previews before debuting with $18.2 million back in January 2017.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit.

I didn't expect Aquaman to reach a Billion. And it wasn't because of Justice Leagues reception or whatnot.

It was the character of Aquaman. Didn't think they'll be a interest in the character. I did think it was gonna well. Like Suicide Squad numbers.

I was way off. Personally found the film mediocre, but highly entertaining

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the superhero fatigue argument is nonsense, but I do wonder if there is an advantage with superhero properties having a chance to explore new environments or concepts within the superhero umbrella (Dr. Strange with the trippiness, GoTG with sci-fi, Aquaman with underwater, etc...).

Status
Not open for further replies.