• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not for long. Think their next(miss bala) is gonna go the way of proud Mary from last year but I guess it shouldn't affect them too much. An overall great year for Sony anyways

I didn't even know that it was a thing until you mentioned it.

Production Budget: 15m USD.

The Rotheman era of Sony has gone full tilt on unremarkable low budget productions in a way that I personally have not seen before from a major Studio.

You could almost say that it's impressive what they're able to churn out on such meager budgets (production wise), no doubt leveraging resources afforded by their status as a major studio that a smaller studio wouldn't as easily have access or connections to.

'Almost appealing' is what comes to mind.

Last edited:

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
The only good part about Escape Rooms are the escape rooms obv. The generalized characters, terrible terrible plot, and ending are hilariously bad. LSD scene was mad funny though, liked a lot of the puzzle concepts.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we all just take a moment for something? I was looking at Sony pictures yearly market share (2018 up over 2017) and I saw a fact that absolutely blew my mind:

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle grossed 947m dollars worldwide.

It just bares repeating how out of nowhere that thing ended up being. (Still haven't seen it)

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we all just take a moment for something? I was looking at Sony pictures yearly market share (2018 up over 2017) and I saw a fact that absolutely blew my mind:

It just bares repeating how out of nowhere that thing ended up being. (Still haven't seen it)

Jumanji was really fun. It was similar to Aquaman in that it wasnt a "smart" movie or anything but I enjoyed it.

But yeah would have never predicted it would do almost a Billion before it came out

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, Deadline updated:

2nd Update: STXfilms/Lantern's The Upside is currently in a too-close-to call weekend race with the fourth weekend of Warner Bros.' Aquaman, $17.9M to $17.8M. For certain today is that the crowd-pleasing Kevin Hart-Bryan Cranston dramedy will beat DC's fish man, $6.5M to $5M. A No. 1 win for STX which has typically played the middle of the box office chart would be spectacular.

Anything over $17M would rank as STX's second best opening of all-time behind July 2016's Bad Moms which opened to $23.8M. We hear that Upside was a distribution deal for STX; they didn't acquire full-on rights form Lantern who absorbed the movie as part of their takeover the Weinstein Co. assets. Hence STX has limited skin in the game with potent upside. Reportedly TWC spent around $37.5M to make Upside which was directed by Neil Burger and also stars Golden Globe Destroyer actress nominee Nicole Kidman.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes it would. Matter of fact, if it hits that number, then 1B is almost certain. Besides BP, which was a cultural monster in the US, all post Avengers MCU films earn more overseas than they do DOM.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about GLC since there's negative baggage there from the Ryan Reynolds movie but I do think The Flash is just waiting to print money.

Benefit of the direction they're taking Green Lantern is that it won't be focusing on Hal. In theory it'll be an ensemble with John, Jessica, Kyle, and some of the other species, with an older, veteran Hal.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Movie was really fun and audience friendly, not too surprised it did well.

As for being close to $1B, I reckon the divisiveness and audience reception to The Last Jedi caused a lot of people to see Jumanji instead. Movie had amazing word of mouth.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Saw Aquaman, it was alright kinda too long Imo

Saw venom too the other night and lol I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, hell I enjoyed it more than Aquaman. Glad venom was a success looking back, reviews held me back from seeing it in theaters, but glad I finally saw it. Fun movie

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

The Rotheman era of Sony has gone full tilt on unremarkable low budget productions in a way that I personally have not seen before from a major Studio.

You could almost say that it's impressive what they're able to churn out on such meager budgets (production wise), no doubt leveraging resources afforded by their status as a major studio that a smaller studio wouldn't as easily have access or connections to.

As much as I like Gina Rodriguez, it feels like these action/badass roles are not quite right for her.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Us has been delayed a week to March 22. Smart move, gives it breathing space away from Captain Marvel.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After seeing that scene preview of Black Mantis and pals chasing Mera and Aquaman, I knew the movie would probably be good enough and especially different enough from Justice League that it would do well. I was expecting around an eventual $750 - $850m worldwide gross going into opening weekend (China was already big, and buzz seemed positive). And here it is about to cruise to a billion. Damn. What a difference giving these characters to quality directors makes.

What does everyone think the Chinese box office will make of Shazam? Well, I guess I should wait for that second trailer before asking that question.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I saw the Dragon Ball movie last week and it was way better than I was expecting it to be, despite being one of those who hated Broly previously.

Some good laughs in there too, which is something that I honestly don't remember the last time Dragon Ball had.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
8373.png

why did it have to be this way

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to see Bumblebee. Theater kept it for another week and actually put it at a convient time for me.

Thought it was pretty good!

Only thing that sucked wasn't the movie, but sadly some obnoxious sexist assholes who interupted the movie from time to time. Had to mentally block them out.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But i doubt such <25M budget movies can be a hit blockbuster and the big studios are known by their blockbusters not from these low budget low fame movies. Just an alternate opinion

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just hand the DC movie universe over to Wan. The guy managed to make Aquadude more popular than a movie starring the World's Finest. lmao.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll try to see the Dragon Ball movie next weekend, there are a lot of showtimes in my area that haven't completely sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.