• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
But i doubt such <25M budget movies can be a hit blockbuster and the big studios are known by their blockbusters not from these low budget low fame movies. Just an alternate opinion

Unless you're Disney, those movies are what fill out the rest of your schedule and give you a relationship with filmmakers that might get you your next Oscar winner or director of a new franchise. Also the whole thing with Rothman is that outside of Spidey and their relationship with Marvel, even the blockbusters they have been budgeting at about $100M instead of the $150-200+ million the other studios are at.

Edit: As an example on this page, Wan started out at WB making low budget horror movies.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Unless you're Disney, those movies are what fill out the rest of your schedule and give you a relationship with filmmakers that might get you your next Oscar winner or director of a new franchise. Also the whole thing with Rothman is that outside of Spidey and their relationship with Marvel, even the blockbusters they have been budgeting at about $100M instead of the $150-200+ million the other studios are at.

Edit: As an example on this page, Wan started out at WB making low budget horror movies.

Saw's budget was 1.2 million!

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Rothman has many valid criticisms, but he is a damn good efficient operator of a film division.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jumanji was really fun. It was similar to Aquaman in that it wasnt a "smart" movie or anything but I enjoyed it.

But yeah would have never predicted it would do almost a Billion before it came out

I'll netflix it the next time I'm in the mood, but I just picked up Tom Cruises epic 'The Mummy' from the bargain bin, so I'll be torturing myself with that first.

Also Us has been delayed a week to March 22. Smart move, gives it breathing space away from Captain Marvel.

Good move.

After seeing that scene preview of Black Mantis and pals chasing Mera and Aquaman, I knew the movie would probably be good enough and especially different enough from Justice League that it would do well. I was expecting around an eventual $750 - $850m worldwide gross going into opening weekend (China was already big, and buzz seemed positive). And here it is about to cruise to a billion. Damn. What a difference giving these characters to quality directors makes.

What does everyone think the Chinese box office will make of Shazam? Well, I guess I should wait for that second trailer before asking that question.

Shazam strikes me as hitting the same kind of cord as Venom if in a PG way. As long as it is entertaining in leveraging its concept I think it can do well in China. Not Venom well by any means, but it's not a movie that needs to have traditional metrics of quality to retain an audience.
But i doubt such <25M budget movies can be a hit blockbuster and the big studios are known by their blockbusters not from these low budget low fame movies. Just an alternate opinion

I agree. It's an odd duck though. These movies gross so little and appeal so narrowly that they end up flying under the radar of collective consciousness. In doing so they side step having to compete directly against mid tier and big budget more wide appeal films.

As long as these movies are at least passable and not absolute trash like Slenderman or the Emoji movie, people are thinking of Sony for their Venoms and Jumanjis first and foremost.

The GA won't even remember this stuff unless you are a group of box office nerds OR really enjoyed A Dog's Way Home/one of these films.

A lot of words today just to get to the point: As long as these niche productions are 'good enough' they stand little chance to negatively impact perception of the studio to a material end.

The other benefit is that you're forming relationships, early stream, by working with lesser knowns on what may be smaller projects for you, but potentially a big breaks (or lifelines) for them.

Who knows if the director of Miss Bala might go on to make an Oscar winning film for you. Alternatively, an actor you gave a big break to (relative to where they're at) could be grateful and willing to sign later in their careers.

It's also less of a risk for them to make, say, 7 of these than to bet it all on another Blockbuster (as long as they have bigger releases in the wings).

Last edited:

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
The other benefit is that you're forming relationships, early stream by working with lesser knowns on what may be smaller projects for you, but potentially a big break for them. Who knows if the director of Miss Bala might go on to make an Oscar winning film for you. An actor you gave a big break could be grateful and willing to sign later in their careers.

As an aside, the director of Miss Bala is the director of Twilight (the first one). And the star of Twilight is starring in one of Sony's attempts at starting a new franchise this year (Charlie's Angels).

Twilight was not a Sony movie, I just thought it was a cute coincidence.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As an aside, the director of Miss Bala is the director of Twilight (the first one). And the star of Twilight is starring in one of Sony's attempts at starting a new franchise this year (Charlie's Angels).

Twilight was not a Sony movie, I just thought it was a cute coincidence.

A CA reboot; my god does Sony swing for the fences.

Masters of the Universe is currently being rewritten by the team behind MiB4. That's 3 Sony franchise attempts all set to release during 2019 contained in a single post.

If the XR keeps doing what it's doing, Aquaman will cross 300m in China (though it will not be recorded at such on places like BOM in all likelihood).

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
A Star is Born finally grosses 400M total this weekend. It joins a long list of films that have surpassed Solo this year.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jumanji was really fun. It was similar to Aquaman in that it wasnt a "smart" movie or anything but I enjoyed it.

But yeah would have never predicted it would do almost a Billion before it came out
Jumanji had a fantastic perfect storm of events.

If IX shits the bed, then maybe they can replicate that success with the sequel

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
A CA reboot; my god does Sony swing for the fences.

Masters of the Universe is currently being rewritten by the team behind MiB4. That's 3 Sony franchise attempts all set to release during 2019 contained in a single post.

Masters of the Universe isn't coming out this year, I don't see how it could unless they basically start shooting it next month.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
At this point, Bradley Cooper should direct GotG3.

Slightly off topic but your avatar reminded me: I have a crazy prediction for 2019's Box Office.

I think Detective Pikachu (if it's as good as it looks) will be massive. I'm talking $1.5 billion WW. Pokemon is one of those brands with true worldwide appeal. I think domestically and internationally (especially in China) the film will be huge.

I'm fully ready to be completely wrong. But I just have this weird feeling DP will be huge.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Slightly off topic but your avatar reminded me: I have a crazy prediction for 2019's Box Office.

I think Detective Pikachu (if it's as good as it looks) will be massive. I'm talking $1.5 billion WW. Pokemon is one of those brands with true worldwide appeal. I think domestically and internationally (especially in China) the film will be huge.

I'm fully ready to be completely wrong. But I just have this weird feeling DP will be huge.
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for Detective Pikachu until the second trailer hits. I loved the first trailer, have heard good things coming out of test screenings or places like IGN getting to see some additional scenes, I think the creative team behind it is good and knows what they're doing, and Pokemon is as big as it's ever been.

That said, this is still uncharted territory for the franchise. We don't really know how much appeal "live action Pokemon" is going to have with people not already familiar with the franchise (though, if we just count people familiar with the franchise, that's still a fuck ton of people). Plus, the movie still has to be good.

If the second trailer comes out and proves the first one wasn't a fluke, I'll probably join you in making some wild ass prediction about what it's going to do. For now, I just can't call it.

Last edited:

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for Detective Pikachu until the second trailer hits. I loved the first trailer, have heard good things reports coming out of test screenings or places like IGN getting to see some additional scenes, I think the creative team behind it is good and knows what they're doing, and Pokemon is as big as it's ever been.

That said, this is still uncharted territory for the franchise. We don't really know how much appeal "live action Pokemon" is going to have with people not already familiar with the franchise (though, if we just count people familiar with the franchise, that's still a fuck ton of people). Plus, the movie still has to be good.

If the second trailer comes out and proves the first one wasn't a fluke, I'll probably join you in making some wild ass prediction about what it's going to do. For now, I just can't call it.

Yeah, definitely. There's room for shit to go south. But man, I've just got this feeling it will be massive. At this point we just have to wait and see.

I also forgot it's so close to Endgame. That could mess with shit.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Detective Pikachu will be huge but I also get the feeling that it might be one of those films that we all hype up to be the next big breakout hit only to look like idiots when it comes out and only does "okay".

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I think Detective Pikachu will be huge but I also get the feeling that it might be one of those films that we all hype up to be the next big breakout hit only to look like idiots when it comes out and only does "okay".
That's how I'm feeling. Like my gut says around $400-500m. Which is still quite a bit of money, but not ALL THE MONEY like my hype for it wants it to make.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more bullish on Detective Pikachu than I used to be, but it's still dropping at a crazy busy time at the box office, and an initial trailer largely driven by "look how weird the Pokémon look!" word of mouth doesn't convince me that records are being broken.

I can see 500-700 million, with breakout potential at the top end. Anyone saying it's nailed on for a billion is getting carried away.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Ah yes, the Mary Poppins of 2019.

Yeah, for right now I think folks are getting carried away on the predictions for that one. I think it'll do well but I'm not on the $1B train yet.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

The original French film totalled $10,198,820 in the US. Aka. this is why you get remakes (hi Miss Bala).

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Detective Pikachu is a kids movie. Not a family movie like zootopia and the like, no, a kids movie.

Where the 1B predictions came from I have no idea.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Detective Pikachu is a kids movie. Not a family movie like zootopia and the like, no, a kids movie.

What? A movie with a college aged adult and talking Ryan Reynold as the lead is a pure kids movie? Did you somehow completely miss the demographic that the trailer was going for?

Last edited:

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

The only two trailers I saw people really respond to over the holidays were the Lion King and Detective Pikachu. It may not break a billion but this movies going to be huge.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Spider-verse outlegging Mary Poppins isn't one of those predictions I would have made even in Dec

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Spidey has surpassed Deadline/other predictions every single weekend since release. Quite surprising, and positive, for a film that in the end deserved much more, specially overseas. The surprise success of Aquaman (at least to me, in this scale) did a lot of damage to the rest of commercial films during December. Take China out of the equation: DC's film still more than doubles any other Christmas release.

One of them should have moved to late January, or February. I'm sure Bumblebee would have performed better in the USA avoiding Christmas, but the temptation is too big to pass.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I went to the theatre with my niece(4) and beforehand I gave her 3 trailers to watch.

Obviously I wanted her to choose Spider-Verse, but she chose The Grinch. The third movie I proposed was MPR.

Status
Not open for further replies.