• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's hard to say which will have better legs. Man of Steel and especially Batman v Superman had terrible legs, but Suicide Squad had good legs and Wonder Woman had phenomenal. DCEU films are all over the place in terms of word of mouth. And since Suicide Squad is (IMO) the worst DCEU movie, yet had the 2nd best legs, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that quality will be a strong indicator of legs.

On the MCU side of things, several recent Marvel movies had weaker legs than anticipated. Spider-Man is a notable exception, opening lower than most people thought but then having good holds through the summer. Thor in particular had decent legs for the first movie, about as good as Doctor Strange and Winter Soldier. The Dark World though ranks among the worst, better than only IM3, Civil War, and Ultron. The legs of MCU films seem to revolve around whether or not the movies meet audience expectations. You see IM3 and Ultron having some of the worst legs and you can probably imagine why - both movies pulled the rug out from under audiences regarding villains and were considered by most to be a big step down in quality (although those who don't like IM3 are categorically wrong, I have proof). Civil War was overly long and far less focused on "war" than people thought it would be. It turned out to be mostly a straightforward Captain America sequel with about a half hour of Avenger vs Avenger action. And it's no wonder Thor 2 had poor legs. Movie so forgettable that people forgot to tell their friends and coworkers to check it out.

Reaction/hype for Thor seems higher than Justice League at this point, but it's also closer to release and the overwhelmingly positive reviews have already hit. I haven't been watching closely, but reaction to Justice League trailers seems good, not great. Guess we'll know more about that when we get the inevitably legendary review thread.

Tl;dr - I dunno lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Dc characters are iconic, when theyre good, they hit pretty hard.
Marvel movies have box office ceiling I guess, still as long as they maintain quaility, WoM it could helps smaller unknown characters shine. And Marvel is more popular outside Us.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Thor Ragnarok: $172.5M
Justice League: $148M

A Bad Mom's Christmas: $29.5M
Jigsaw: $11M

Just so I can really rub it in when I'm 100% right.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
$1.6M previews for Jigsaw, which is a tad under the $1.7M previews for Saw 3D. Saw 3D opened to $22M, so it looks like Jigsaw will land in its low 20s tracking.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Some could make a joke about Marvel make movies look the same, sound the same over and over and .... get the same box office performance^^ Hype is personal preference!!!

P/s: Thor3 is so so much fun, I dont think it'll break any records.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thor Ragnarok: 126M
Justice League: 171M

I saw Jigsaw yesterday, and it was about 75% full. It should do decent. As for the movie itself, it's pretty much what you would expect.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
So Suburbicon is bombing:
Deadline has it at $3M
THR at $3-4M

Other newcomers/notables:
Code:
                                                   THR             Deadline
Jigsaw                                           $17-20M           $20M
Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween           $11-12M           $10M
Thank You for Your Service                       $3.5-$4M          $3.5M

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thor Ragnarok - 114.1m
Justice League - 148.9m

Thor I imagine around Homecoming numbers, Justice League between Suicide Squad & BvS. Also, hi guys.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, outside of Goodnight and Good Luck, which he was familiar with considering his father was a news anchor, its more the writing and stories that have been the failings, I think. He either needs a different partner or he needs to stop rewriting scrips given to him.

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Thor Ragnarok: $113.7m
Justice League: $145.2m

JL opening below $150m would be pretty concerning, but not as awful as the less-than-Suicide Squad forecasts out there.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the predictions for Jigsaw?

With a $10 mil budget - I imagine anything will be considered good and there will definitely be a sequel.

I mean, Happy Death Day is at like $50 mil and that's not an established franchise.

Time to revive Friday The 13th with Blumhouse.

Oct 27, 2017
shiiit, I finally got in.

Awesome to see this thread still going strong, though not as awesome as it would be to see Justice League do the same box office as Thor 3.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe how terrible Blade runner is doing, shame because it was an amazing movie!

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know which will do better but the Thor ads have been on point and the JL ones have seemed kinda hokey?

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Thor 129.2
JL 135.6

As for this week, I'm not surprised that Geostorm tanked. I'm trying to think of the last successful big Disaster Movie and I'm struggling.

I was happy to see Kingsmen have a decent opening in China as well. The overall numbers won't be amazing, but at least it's not awful.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Has there been a disaster movie recently that's done well? The last disaster movie I can even remember was San Andreas. I think that did ok.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah San Andreas was the last one I could think of. Looks like it did 155 domestic on a 110 budget and just under 474 world wide, so it actually did better than I thought.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I guess so. I just looked at the reviews, ouch. I do like his directorial style usually but it clearly doesn't connect with audiences.

I have a huge amount of respect for what George Clooney does. He probably has the clout to do whatever he wants and instead decides to make these weird little movies. But I think he still has to grow a lot more, or at the very least get a collaborator who can push him better. He's usually trying to say something meaningful in his movies but it never goes beyond surface level.

I'd never recommend Suburbicon to someone unless they're huge Coen Brothers fans and want to watch one of their old, aborted projects wriggle to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.