• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

thor32ubev.png

daddyshome2j3ybw.png

orientexpress36bux.png

badmoms2k2ztw.png

jigsawr0ln6.png

'Thor: Ragnarok' Thunders to $56.6 Million Second Weekend

"Thor: Ragnarok," starring Chris Hemsworth and directed by Taika Waititi, declined 54% from its $122.7 million opening last weekend and is already the ninth highest domestic grosser of 2017 with $211.6 million in its first 10 days. It's also been a stellar international performer with $438 million in less than three weeks — topping $650 million worldwide.

On Nov. 8, "Thor: Ragnarok" became the 12th consecutive Marvel Cinematic Universe film to top $500 million worldwide.

A24's expansion of Greta Gerwig's "Lady Bird" cracked the top 10 with $1.2 million on 37 screens for an impressive $33,776 per screen average. The comedy-drama posted the best 2017 platform opening last weekend with $364,437 at four sites.

Fox Searchlight's platform release of "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri," starring Frances McDormand and Woody Harrelson, opened with a strong $320,000 at four locations. McDormand plays a small town mother taking on the local police force after her daughter's rape and murder goes uninvestigated for several months.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Wow goddamn, everybody overperformed

I thought DH2 and Murder were supposed to struggle to hit 20

Ragnarok is still wack

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was gonna see it but the Studio Movie Grill near me isn't showing it

So I'll watch it at my Cinemark later this week

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the Snowman bombed hard. Only 4 weeks and it's all the way near the bottom of the list. Fassbender :(

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Daddy's Home 2's Sunday drop is on the optimistic side, so I am expecting it to dip below that $30M mark a bit.

Still, for a film that was tracking in the low 20s, that is a good result. Ditto for Orient Express

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this was a great weekend for movies somehow. Weirdly might be a bad thing for Justice League though, as there is more competition than I thought it would have. It wont just be Thor in its way, it seems.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
God damn. Is this going to be the first year that all MCU movies released pass $300 Million Domestically? Phase 3 is a monster.

Totally deserved though. Glad Thor Ragnarok is doing well.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
What were the last estimates for Justice League's opening again? Was it around $150 Million, or was it lower?

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
It's looking pretty set that Thor will pass Wonder Woman worldwide. If Justice League wasn't releasing, it would probably pass GOTG2 worldwide as well. But we'll probably see a pretty sizable dip next weekend, especially in places like Latin America where DC is huge.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Murder getting so close to DH2, with 200 less theaters and being a period piece is pretty interesting

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
It's looking pretty set that Thor will pass Wonder Woman worldwide. If Justice League wasn't releasing, it would probably pass GOTG2 worldwide as well. But we'll probably see a pretty sizable dip next weekend, especially in places like Latin America where DC is huge.
I don't get why DC or Marvel thought releasing two movies with pretty much the same audience two weeks apart was a good idea.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
the bronson bump couldn't save A Mountain between us

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, a pretty solid weekend overall, I wasn't expecting either Murder or Daddy's to get over $25. I was hoping Thor could hit $60, but that is still a good hold.

Bpfd

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express. Hope it does well despite mixed reviews.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why DC or Marvel thought releasing two movies with pretty much the same audience two weeks apart was a good idea.

It's gonna be interesting to see how exactly these two movies affect each other's BO performance. Especially since we're looking towards a future where we have 3 major players releasing 2-3 superhero movies that are inevitably going to get in each other's way.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i still say ragnarok should have been bumped a week or two...

the (inevitable) good word of mouth, with an extra couple of weeks before JL, would have given it some great legs in week 3 and 4

i'd even suggest that the short two week window before JL might have even cost ragnaroks final BO up to 50m

(having said that, thor, coco, and jedi in one quarter is BANK for disney... and that's how they look at it)

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be interesting to see how exactly these two movies affect each other's BO performance. Especially since we're looking towards a future where we have 3 major players releasing 2-3 superhero movies that are inevitably going to get in each other's way.

Four. Don't forget Sony's spider-man spin-offs that are coming within months of each other.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coco is clearing close to $100m in Mexico alone by the end of its run. Biggest movie since Titanic probably.

I am sure the Hispanic-Mexican community reaction to it will be even better in the US. It remains to be seen if other demos will embrace it as well.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Coco is clearing close to $100m in Mexico alone by the end of its run. Biggest movie since Titanic probably.

I am sure the Hispanic-Mexican community reaction to it will be even better in the US. It remains to be seen if other demos will embrace it as well.
Wait, Coco is already out in Mexico? That's interesting.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what the drop on Daddy 2 will be, also congrats to Paramount I think that is the first film of theirs this year to beat its tracking.
Wow goddamn, everybody overperformed

I thought DH2 and Murder were supposed to struggle to hit 20
Yup.

It's been very amusing to see Deadline go from "only old people care about Murder... so it will be a tough sale to "20th Fox are marketing geniuses"

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Murder on the Orient Express beat its early tracking pretty handily. There was an article ahead of the weekend saying it could come in the low 20's, or even lower, though most had it in the mid 20's. It seemed to gain steam as the weekend went. With international it had a $85M opening weekend, against a $55M budget. Pretty solid. Glad for Branagh.

Daddy's Home 2 has a great debut devoid of context, but that budget is a huge WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.