• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
94 would be a win at this point after all the 80s talk. So this definitely has better legs than BvS?

Saturday's bump would be 24.5-28% based on Rth range which was in between my middle and optimistic prediction from last night. Closer to the later of we get $33M.

This is definitely not the worst case scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who is going to win the box office bet in the thread before Thor came out. My numbers are close if you switch the movies!

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I wonder who is going to win the box office bet in the thread before Thor came out. My numbers are close if you switch the movies!

Not is going to be the closest qualifying prediction for Justice League. He picked $97M.

But the contest is based on both films combined, so you could win by being off on both if you were wrong in the opposite direction.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we've reached a point where $94 million "might be a win" is a hilarious condemnation of WB's handling of all of this.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify im just talking about BvS with respect to opening weekend. After the Thursday preview numbers for JL we heard that a BvS Fri-Sun would have put it at 75m. So 94 is a *win* relative to that

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real lesson buried in the success of Wonder Woman, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, etc... and the failure of BvS and JL is that people are more discerning than a lot of folks thought. People just assumed the masses went into comic book films because they were comic book films, when I think the argument is that people want to know something of the quality. The only shield against this for studios is to build up a seal of quality to can help put butts in seats for more suspicious (for lack of a better word) films (Ant-Man, Guardians, Dr. Strange). The Marvel logo is a seal of quality. The movies will only ever be popcorn flicks at worst, and people trust that. With the DCEU, people trusted in BvS and got burned. Then they got burned by Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman succeeded, but it's clear that her success is seen by audiences as a clear outlier; they don't trust WB to provide a good movie without waiting for impressions, either from critics or their friends. Neither of those are good for JL, and so it's hurting. WB doesn't have a DCEU seal of quality. If the movie isn't good, it'll show at the box office.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This will be only the second time in history that a live action film prominently featuring Batman fails to score a top 10 of all time opening.

The only other miss was Batman Begins.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This will be only the second time in history that a live action film prominently featuring Batman fails to score a top 10 of all time opening.

The only other miss was Batman Begins.
Interesting fun fact thanks for sharing this with us. Both films featuring Batman came off a badly received film.
It's sad but WB has nobody to blame but themselves.

RBelong2Us

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
WB will put its Sunday drop estimate at like 12% and say it made 100m over the weekend...then the actuals will be more like a 30% Sunday drop

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
We'll almost certainly get an estimate late tonight. This story holds way too many clicks for Deadline and others to wait until official estimates.

Look at the length of this thread. We're going to hit close to or over 2k posts and this isn't even Justice League's weekend thread. The same thing applies to the rest of the internet right now.

This is why we need the DCEU, it's incredible material for the internet. :p It does lead to meltdowns, overreactions, trolling and the peanut gallery goes crazy.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like WoM isn't as strong as the some had hoped.

I just cannot see this pulling a SS and struggling though considering what is coming up in the next few weeks.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting, because I feel like Begins was hampered by the Schumacher era, but that's a gap from 1997 to 2005.

The shadow of Batman and Robin loomed large. I remember people predicting a 100M+ opening weekend for Begins. Made 75M over five days. Different time I guess. Marvel hadn't even hit the picture. I doubt the stench of Snyder will last that badly.

RBelong2Us

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Batman Begins had absolutely nothing going for it.

Huge stench from Schumacher on the general public
No big stars
No big villains

Came out to a small opening but had fantastic drops every week and managed enough money and good grace to lead to DCU being created.

Nolan basically was the sole reason this universe was able to be created and it's a travesty what has happened since the Nolan Batman trilogy.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Who would've guessed it. I kept saying we live in a world where Iron Man > DC's Trinity. But now we could likely say Thor > the whole freaking Justice League.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but something must've been done. It took multiple films for the Transformers ride to die.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think the real lesson buried in the success of Wonder Woman, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, etc... and the failure of BvS and JL is that people are more discerning than a lot of folks thought. People just assumed the masses went into comic book films because they were comic book films, when I think the argument is that people want to know something of the quality. The only shield against this for studios is to build up a seal of quality to can help put butts in seats for more suspicious (for lack of a better word) films (Ant-Man, Guardians, Dr. Strange). The Marvel logo is a seal of quality. The movies will only ever be popcorn flicks at worst, and people trust that. With the DCEU, people trusted in BvS and got burned. Then they got burned by Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman succeeded, but it's clear that her success is seen by audiences as a clear outlier; they don't trust WB to provide a good movie without waiting for impressions, either from critics or their friends. Neither of those are good for JL, and so it's hurting. WB doesn't have a DCEU seal of quality. If the movie isn't good, it'll show at the box office.
This is a great summation

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might do less then Superman Returns on the DOM side.

Let that sink in.
giphy.gif

5117194-4969405708-16748.gif

The best DC superhero trailers ever

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
JL imploding lays waste to the whole 'DC movies will make money no matter what' narrative that's been going around for some time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
5117194-4969405708-16748.gif

The best DC superhero trailers ever

Shame the movie is so boring because that was one of the best superpower sequences ever. God damn whenever they get superman in a more heroic and (graceful) god like direction he can be the GOAT superhero

Hopefully he gets another shot in like 4 or 5 years and it's got him with a more traditional personality and with set pieces like that

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.