• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the Iron Man comparison is less a condemnation JL and more just like how the fuck they get a movie about a B tier nothing hero like Iron Man do so much
I distinctly remember watching Iron Man opening week (and I have no idea why I did, because I had no fondness for the character) and boy did that movie KILL. The audiences was constantly laughing and totally into it.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
No. Thor is out everywhere. The worldwide weekend was $45M. So double that and you probably have a decent idea of where the worldwide total is going. $840M could still happen if Thor has a good Thanksgiving week.

Yeah, I figured with the holiday coming and positive word of mouth its drops would be less and less. $840M is a success for Thor.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_o6w14uCPkx1s9bcqro3_500.gif

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So how hard will it be for Justice League to reach $700 million? Is it even feasible for the film to turn a profit of the $300 million budget/ $300 million marketing rumor is true?

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
those numbers for thor are, in relative terms, fantastic... $740m already in the bank, and like someone just posted; $200m WW and $100m domestically, (when all is said and done) over it's predecessor

all the film has to do now is shuffle along in cinemas past christmas and the new year to end up around the $850m mark

i always go back to that leaked email between sony and disney (if it was real) that $750m for homecoming would be seen as the target WW. it gives you the impression that disney have their costs completely in check and are realistic with what is needed at the BO

disney/marvel will see thors numbers as nothing but a complete success

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This opinion is so baffling. The Justice League wasn't invented for the movie. The comics have always been intertwined, with guest appearances and team ups from other hero's the norm, not the exception. These characters all live and breathe together and work together. They have relationships that can be explored.

Backing away from that and only doing solo movies is cutting these properties off at the knees.

You don't give up on the Justice League. You find the talent and put in the time and effort to do it right.

I don't see it as cutting them off at the knees. The dark knight and rises both did a billion worldwide and that was before the 3D tax and international grosses growing rapidly.

DC's biggest properties like batman, superwoman and wonder woman can do a billion worldwide individually.

I'm not saying never do the justice league but you don't have to rush into because it's working so well for marvel.

I think I'm also quite biased because I just don't think the big DC characters really work all that well together. I'm sure it can be done but I prefer them individually.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Actually, I kinda expect WB to be relatively honest about this in their press release. With a 100+ opening number, they could have spun this a number of ways. But now, I assume they'll admit to their fuck-up somehow.
"Well, it's pretty clear that Danny Elfman doesn't resonate with audiences anymore. We blame Tim Burton. Fuck that guy."

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iron Man wasn't even B-tier when it came out. It's kinda funny when people refer to him and Thor as B-tier characters. The success of these movies has completely skewed people's perspective.

Haha fair enough. I dont read comics so the movies are my only exposure to these characters. Youre saying he was C tier then? It Spidey is A who would be considered B?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
You know there will be spin on here about Iron Man and RDJ being A list and of course the first Iron Man grossed a ton based on their star power, completely ignoring the fact that RDJ was mostly poison at the time and it was Marvel's first film and using a not as popular IP to launch everything.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that JL finishes its run somewhere around Suicide Squad worldwide numbers?

It looks like the only movie, coming out in the next few weeks, that will completely destroy its legs is The Last Jedi, but that's almost four weeks away. Coco is coming out next week but I'm not sure if the audiences will overlap for the two movies.

Of course, there's Thor, which has great critical reception and word of mouth, but I'm not sure there's enough left in it to stunt JL's legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.