• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Sz22NNF.png

7FIDW4B.png

2CIZUbX.png

bMKznBP.png

tgo07A5.png

Box Office: 'Coco' Beats 'Justice League' Over Holiday Weekend

Disney-Pixar's "Coco" handily won the Thanksgiving holiday box office over Warner Bros.-DC Entertainment's "Justice League," with $71.2 million at 3,987 North American sites during the Wednesday-Sunday period.

"Justice League" pulled in about $60 million at 4,051 locations during the same timeframe. The superhero action-adventure, the fifth in the DC Extended Universe, has totaled $172 million in its first 10 days.

"Coco" posted for the third-best Thanksgiving holiday opening ever, trailing two other Disney titles — "Frozen" with $93 million in 2013 and "Moana" with $82 million in 2017.

Sony Classics saw stellar returns from its platform release of coming-of-age drama "Call Me by Your Name" with $404,874 at four venues in Los Angeles and New York since its Friday launch for an impressive per-screen average of $101,219. That's the best limited opening of 2017, topping the "Lady Bird" launch with $364,437 on four screens, and the highest since "La La Land" opened with $881,104 at five venues last December.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Call Me By Your Name doing so well in limited release. Makes me more confident in saying that's going to be a breakout hit once it expands.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
About a 30% drop for JL more or less? Not bad, but certainly not great either.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WB response: "Well... when you take out the people that saw Coco just for the Frozen short, you can see that we easily won the weekend."

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coco made $17.8 USD in China, but considering the exponential word of mouth it's getting, there are projections that it could even rival Zootopia's USD 200m+.

Depending on next week's numbers for Coco in the US (if legs are significantly strong) I could see 1 billion in the horizon for this one.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Good to see Coco come in at number one. Maybe this can be taken as a sign that it's commercially feasible to create content aimed at the Latin community.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Some worldwide updates (also added to the OP)

Justice League - $481M
Thor Ragnarok - $790M
Coco - $153M

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
That PTA for Call Me By Your Name, should probably end up as the top PTA for the year.
Coco did pretty good, I think that Pixar didn't need to stick the ABC Christmas special in front of it though.
And of course JL continues to do its thing.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Coco made $17.8 USD in China, but considering the exponential word of mouth it's getting, there are projections that it could even rival Zootopia's USD 200m+.

Depending on next week's numbers for Coco in the US (if legs are significantly strong) I could see 1 billion in the horizon for this one.

I don't see it unless it blows up even huger than that in China. That would put it over $350M higher than Moana, which it is tracking below domestically at the moment.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thor's legs are incredible. It's going to end up like 850 - 900 million global right?

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Where do you have Ragnarok ending up?

Over Wonder Woman, under GotG2 worldwide.

I am going to also call under $700M for Justice League after a poorer than expected overseas hold this weekend. I don't see how it gets to the $450M+ OS that it needs to hit $700M given domestic trajectory.

Justice League will end up within spitting distance of Doctor Strange (either over or under) both domestically and worldwide.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
man justice league doing so poorly id blowing my mind
just 480m worldwide now
Bvs made roughly the same thing in it's first weekend
I think the reshoots were a mistake tbh

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Would this be the appropriate time to post sad Affleck? With 2 weeks left until Star Wars JL's final numbers will be rough.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any hype for a reunion movie was consumed with Batman vs Superman.

Justice League had nothing going for it.

This is a deserving kick in the nuts for WB executives who thought they could fast track a cinematic universe.

Oct 28, 2017
Where does Hemsworth go after Thor? It doesn't seem directors are knocking down his door. I kind of feel he's just one good part away from becoming a credible dramatic actor. He just needs his own Snowpiercer

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Normally a 56% drop would be basic for a superhero film. But on Thanksgiving week? Not good.

WB PR: "Justice League continues on its new path to ultimate box office success, with better holds than past Thanksgiving favourites like Twilight New Moon, Twilight Breaking Dawn pt1, and Twilight Breaking Dawn pt2!"

Status
Not open for further replies.