• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Editing half a movie into something watchable must have been worth something.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Frozen 2 is a 5/10 film.

4p3po7d.jpg

There was no Let It Go, and hell there wasn't even a Do you Want to Build a Snowman.

"Let It Go" has been topped.

"Show Yourself" is a better written, better sung, more complete "Let It Go." It's really familiar in structure, and yet different enough to stand on its own.

It compliments "Let It Go" so beautifully. It's a lovely climax for Elsa with her finally at peace and understanding where she truly belongs. "I AM FOUND!" It's incredible.

I probably won't see Frozen 2 til the rental release but I did listen to Show Yourself and thought it was a banger

The song by itself is a solid 10/10, but with the stunning visuals?! Whew. It gets cranked up to an 11/10. You're not ready!

It should be a 9 or 10 average if we lived in a just world.

PREACH!

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Joker's playing again at the nearby IMAX. It has evening times while Frozen II has afternoon. Seems like this varies on a theater by theater basis. Others I checked are still showing Frozen all day.

Reminder that Regals with 4DX screens will show Gremlins starting tonight.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Since when did subverting expectations become a negative thing and a meme?

Fucking RLM.
Sometimes subverting expectations is bad though. See Westworld S2 or Game of Thrones S8 for examples where the writers went "Just do whatever people don't expect, that means it's automatically good". Subverting expectations is only good when there's an actual thematic or narrative reason to do so, it shouldn't be just about doing the unexpected so the story isn't predictable.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
TLJ didn't subvert expectations it subverted headcannon and fan obsession
Eh, I don't agree. TLJ definitely did some subversion with Luke Skywalker. The expectation that was created by the OT ending, the old EU and the general trajectory of The Force Awakens was that Luke would probably be some sort of very powerful Jedi. Instead he was a cranky failure who didn't really want anything to do with The Force, Jedi or the entire conflict in general, he just wanted to be left alone. Even Obi Wan and Yoda in the originals weren't as far removed or disillusioned from The Force as Luke was in TLJ. That's some powerful subversion.

Of course, in my opinion they didn't go far enough with Luke, but that's an entirely different discussion.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking at the box office totals for the year and wow, what the hell happened to Detective Pikachu?

This was a movie that basically every prognosticator had grossing over $700 million, and that many people believed was a lock for a billion. Famously, many people on this forum predicted Pikachu outgrossing Endgame. Instead, Endgame made more in its first 72 hours than Pikachu did in its entire theatrical run.

I guess it was a mistake to do it as a noir detective movie with Pokemon that happen to be part of the background, instead of doing a straightforward "kid goes on a journey collecting badges and fighting an evil team" movie that would have been far more recognizable and nostalgia-grabbing as well as play better with kids and families. That probably could have been a billion-contender, at least if it had been released at a smarter time instead of right around Endgame.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk, I expected Luke to train Rey, maybe reluctantly. Why tf would he exile himself with barely any way to find him in the first place otherwise?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I've been looking at the box office totals for the year and wow, what the hell happened to Detective Pikachu?

This was a movie that basically every prognosticator had grossing over $700 million, and that many people believed was a lock for a billion. Famously, many people on this forum predicted Pikachu outgrossing Endgame. Instead, Endgame made more in its first 72 hours than Pikachu did in its entire theatrical run.

I guess it was a mistake to do it as a noir detective movie with Pokemon that happen to be part of the background, instead of doing a straightforward "kid goes on a journey collecting badges and fighting an evil team" movie that would have been far more recognizable and nostalgia-grabbing as well as play better with kids and families. That probably could have been a billion-contender, at least if it had been released at a smarter time instead of right around Endgame.
Pokémon ain't as big of a deal as many people here seem(ed) to think it is.

Sure, Pokémon Go was a big succes and so are the games, still, but Pokémon Go was also free and was basically a fantastic mix between child fantasy and nostalgia (We can play a sort of oldschool Pokémon game IN REAL LIFE?!). A Pokémon movie simply doesn't have that same appeal. No one cares for Pokémon in a movie, especially not a live action one. All the people that I know that went to see it (including me) basically only saw it for the weird novelty, not because they were really excited for it.

I do think they played it smart actually by making it a noir detective story, a straight up film version of the game/series would've bombed even harder. How would you even propose to adapt the "kid goes on a journey collecting badges and fighting an evil team"-story into a 90-120 minute movie without it being a total snoozefest? That stuff only works as a series, which it luckily is.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was a movie that basically every prognosticator had grossing over $700 million, and that many people believed was a lock for a billion.
Many people were dumb.

Detective Pikachu made basically what I expected it to. Nothing of what people like about the series was anywhere to be found in that film.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when did subverting expectations become a negative thing and a meme?

Fucking RLM.
I am glad in a way.

Because we now can easily dismiss anyone who pulls the"lololol subverted expectations" card as someone who just parrots idiotic youtubers.

It's an instant way to spot someone who doesn't know jackshit about films and just repeats what they hear on youtube. So I appreciate the meme in that way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many people were dumb.

Detective Pikachu made basically what I expected it to. Nothing of what people like about the series was anywhere to be found in that film.
I still love how most on this forum was so instant PIkachu would clear a billion because it was the "biggest media franchise ever" and would crush Toy Story 4.

Quite the wake up call to realize a video game forum is out of touch when it comes to pop culture.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

I called DP being a disappointment and got a lot of crap for it (ok, only a little crap) but I was always skeptical of its US chances at least. The problem wasn't the format-- that was actually a good idea-- it's that the movie was bad. The first trailer got a lot of buzz as we saw live-action Pokemon for the first time and they were charming. The second trailer had some weak-ass slapstick and not much else.

Had the movie been good we might have gotten a better trailer, but also it might have had the crossever appeal of a Toy Story type movie. But no, it had a plot even my kids thought was stupid.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ didn't subvert expectations it subverted headcanon and fan obsession

In a way, when think about it, people's headcanons are kinda as valid as the screenplay written by someone who didn't have any connection whatsoever to Star Wars beforehand. I mean, what is TLJ but RJ's own personal headcanon? :P

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a way, when think about it, people's headcanons are kinda as valid as the screenplay written by someone who didn't have any connection whatsoever to Star Wars beforehand. I mean, what is TLJ but RJ's own personal headcanon? :P
TFA - "luke exiled himself because he fucked up, doesn't want that shit anymore"
Gee I wonder what will happen in TLJ, probably luke taking down AT-ATs left and right
TFA - "rey, your parents left you alone on a desert planet, they're not coming back, let it go"
Gee I wonder if rey's parents were obi wan and darth maul

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
In a way, when think about it, people's headcanons are kinda as valid as the screenplay written by someone who didn't have any connection whatsoever to Star Wars beforehand.

Well, that's a take.

No, the people who own the material and vet the script and approach is more valid than the unfiltered thoughts of random fans.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame is just headcanon and can be ignored, as no one who wrote/directed/produced it had anything to do with the creation of the characters in the film.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TFA - "luke exiled himself because he fucked up, doesn't want that shit anymore"
Gee I wonder what will happen in TLJ, probably luke taking down AT-ATs left and right
TFA - "rey, your parents left you alone on a desert planet, they're not coming back, let it go"
Gee I wonder if rey's parents were obi wan and darth maul
Well, that's a take.

No, the people who own the material and vet the script and approach is more valid than the unfiltered thoughts of random fans.
I was being facetious, but also I don't think it's that crazy of a take. I simply don't see any inherent validity to Rian Johnson's notions for Star Wars, just because Lucasfilm wrote him a paycheck and because a nebulous story group vetted them. When it comes to Star Wars, making fun of people simply having "headcanons" makes no sense since the franchise has always been a random mess handled by equally random people.

edit: even if the creator was involved, I don't think that automatically should lend credence and authority. Look at the garbage dump Ridley Scott has turned Alien lore into.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I was being facetious, but also I don't think it's that crazy of a take. I simply don't see any inherent validity to Rian Johnson's notions for Star Wars, just because Lucasfilm wrote him a paycheck and because a nebulous story group vetted them. When it comes to Star Wars, making fun of people simply having "headcanons" makes no sense since the franchise has always been a random mess handled by equally random people.

Eh, I have headcanon for lots of things I like better than the official stuff (you should see my Matrix Revolutions). I'm not making fun of fans for having it. I take issue with the idea that it's in any way valid. What validates Johnson's take is a) he's a proven filmmaker who b) the owners of the property chose and c) vetted his ideas. That's 3 solid reasons his version is more valid. I mean, it's not like he himself wasn't a Star Wars fan as much as the people on the Internet who feel slighted.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Knives Out has a good hold this weekend. I think the good word of mouth could help it a good deal.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Word of mouth isn't that great, either.
Jumanji: Next Level is gonna see quite a drop from the previous entry. Maybe that's why Sony didn't even bother to market it as much?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Many people were dumb.

There's more fan favorite Pokemon in the movie than in the current game. Every shot of that movie was a Easter egg.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Dark Phoenix recently. The music was surprisingly good. They got Zimmer for that? The rest of the movie...we shall not speak of it.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

Word of mouth isn't that great, either.
Jumanji: Next Level is gonna see quite a drop from the previous entry. Maybe that's why Sony didn't even bother to market it as much?

Does that mean Sony's only major franchise with success this year is going to be Spider-Man?

If so, they better hope their live action spin-off plan doesn't blow up in their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.