• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

q5OtlIk.png

Jsjt0lE.png

B8o7C2j.png

YgUx9fx.png

And so Thanksgiving 2019 ends with Disney's Frozen 2 collecting a 5-day estimate of $126.3M, the most ever for any film that has played the holiday, opener or holdover, besting Lionsgate's 2013 Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($109.9M), plus it was a fantastic win for auteur-driven original IP from Lionsgate/Media Rights Capital's Rian Johnson whodunit Knives Out, which is flying well ahead of its high $20Ms-$30M 5-day forecasts with an estimated $41.7M. Both Disney and Lionsgate will report soon.

Despite the record amount of bucks made by Frozen 2, and the more than solid turnout by Knives Out, the Thanksgiving 5-day stretch per Comscore grossed an estimated $263.65M, -16% from last year's holiday record of $315.4M. What's the difference? There was more older skewing original adult product on the marquee this year with Knives Out, Ford v. Ferrari, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Queen & Slim, while last year boasted more family centric and franchise fare which held over the 5-day stretch, i.e. Creed 2 ($56M), Fantastic Beasts 2 ($42.3M), The Grinch ($42M), and Bohemian Rhapsody (a retro pop culture event that played to all ages with a 5-day of $19.5M).

WEEKEND CHART:

International Box Office:

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Frozen's drop is ridiculously low, though I'm sure that has a lot to do with the holidays. Is 500m domestic reasonable? I don't know how these things work.

Knives Out was great, another well-deserved win for Rian.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out is basically a lock for 100m domestic. Fantastic for an original adult film.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I hope we get another Blanc mystery from RJ. Or 100. I could watch Craig in that role forever.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
How'd we get blessed with such a high quality gif already?

Probably Rian himself who made it. Bless him.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Frozen 2 is at 738M already?!?! Yikes!

Edit: I thought this was Frozen 2 opening week? Didn't realize it opened last weekend.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, it's official, Disney has finally broken the 10 billion goal...

With Fox.

But now we need to wait and see if they can do it without the help of Fox.

hA5zK3K.jpg

Frozen II is probably going to cruise by the Billion, as a reminder, this film has basically zero competition during the Christmas Period. The only other animated film coming out is.

LongScrawnyCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Spies in Disguise, which Disney also owns now as well considering Blue Sky was part of Fox, and I'm sure Disney are going to push their own film over Fox. Add to that the Christmas Period in general benefits family films a lot when the kids get out of school... Yeah, Frozen II is going to do very well in the long run of things.

With Maleficent petering out, Frozen II needs to reach 1.5 billion for Disney to get the 10 Billion before Star Wars, It took Lion King 5 weeks to do it. The 5th Week is going to be when Star Wars. So if Frozen can do it in 4 weeks? Odds are we'll see the 10 Billion on Star Wars day.

Also that is probably the highest quality Top 5 I've seen all year as well. Good time to be watching films I say.

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
"Directed by: destroyer of incel childhoods"

lol, that's good

Anyways, Knives Out definitely getting $100m domestic

FvF with a pretty good low drop

Queen and Slim with a strong start

Neighborhood doing good

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
Hell of a strong top five as we go into December. Glad to hear Knives Out is doing well, that was rather charming when I saw it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell of a strong top five as we go into December. Glad to hear Knives Out is doing well, that was rather charming when I saw it.

Knives out was pretty much a perfect project for Johnson. He has always been at his best when making original material. If he does get to do his own trilogy still (looking likely) it should end up far stronger than TLJ.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out is so good y'all.

Also I was surprised to learn after watching it that it's only PG-13.

less

Oct 25, 2017
What a solid week this has been. Knives Out doing well for itself. Frozen 2 posting crazy numbers in its second week. Ford vs Ferrari with an impressive hold.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Boo & no Queen and Slim mention in the title. Amazing film and did pretty well in the box office too.

tumblr_ptoait0wIK1w67ki0o5_500.gif

This year may not be as much of a money maker, but it's a great time to watch films with so many good ones out.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What a bunch of good films making bank. You love to see it.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out was ruined for me by a couple talking the entire movie. I can't believe people think its okay to talk in a movie.

Shame about Charlie's Angels being a flop. Was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.