• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Given US audiences'/US studios' aversion of stop-motion animated films (and to a lesser extent, non-CG animated films altogether) is at an box office all-time high; I can't say I'm too surprised Aardman went the Netflix route. On one hand, this all but guarantees Farmageddon won't be playing in any of the theaters near where I live; so I can't say I'm thrilled about that. On the other hand, Aardman's last US distributor in Lionsgate did a lousy job handling Aardman's most recent movies (the first Shaun the Sheep Movie and Early Man); so in certain respects, Netflix gaining the distribution rights is actually an improvement.

A woof seems more appropriate.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Given US audiences' aversion of stop-motion animated films (and to a lesser extent, non-CG animated films altogether) is at an box office all-time high; I can't say I'm too surprised Aardman went the Netflix route. On one hand, this all but guarantees Farmageddon won't be playing in any of the theaters near where I live; so I can't say I'm thrilled about that. On the other hand, Aardman's last US distributor in Lionsgate did a lousy job handling Aardman's most recent movies (the first Shaun the Sheep Movie and Early Man); so in certain respects, Netflix gaining the distribution rights is actually an improvement.
Definitely better to have stop-motion movies go direct to Netflix than to just stop getting made entirely

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Very interested to see the holds for Knives Out. I think it could have a long, strong run with how good word of mouth has been and nothing really directly competing with it genre-wise.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Fun fact: Greatest Showman is the second highest grossing non-Disney musical (domestically) behind only Grease. I'm still confused about how it was such a hit.

WarLox

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Boo & no Queen and Slim mention in the title. Amazing film and did pretty well in the box office too.

tumblr_ptoait0wIK1w67ki0o5_500.gif

This year may not be as much of a money maker, but it's a great time to watch films with so many good ones out.

It needed more theaters.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Tell them to shut the fuck up. I do it all the time. First time a phone comes out, I tell them to put it away. First time someone starts talking, I shush them. Occasionally you get a chode who puffs his chest up over it, but they are typically cowards who won't do shit about it except try to look tough in front of their girlfriends

And like clock work the dude next to me at Knives Out pulled his phone out 20 min into the movie, I said "please put your phone away" he sighed but complied. Don't let people ruin your movies.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Watched The Farewell tonight and I'm glad this movie was a modest hit and has kinda elbowed its way into Oscar discussions. Given that we might have two Netflix best picture nominees (The Irishman and Marriage Story), 2019 might break the record for lowest total grossing best picture nominees.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched The Farewell tonight and I'm glad this movie was a modest hit and has kinda elbowed its way into Oscar discussions. Given that we might have two Netflix best picture nominees (The Irishman and Marriage Story), 2019 might break the record for lowest total grossing best picture nominees.
From what I read, Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes is a dark horse pick for Best Actor.

I am personally pulling for Adam Driver in Marriage Story.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JOKER has passed Batman v Superman domestically. $5m more and it'll top Aquaman and be DCs biggest domestic earner only behind Wonder Woman.

Frozen 2 looks like it'll be #1 until Jumanji.

What a beast

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
All I remember about Great showman is that I looked up the true life story after watching, and it was nothing like that. I hate when movies do that.

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact for The Greatest Showman: The director's next project is supposed to be a live action Naruto movie.

Been on his radar for awhile.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
2019 is the best year for quality cinema since 2005 imo

Yeah seriously the year is crazy. I still haven't seen many films from the upcoming oscar season and we've already had Lighthouse, Irishman, Knives Out, OUATIH, Parasite, Pain and Glory, Midsommar, Rocketman, Us, with movies like Jojo Rabbit (not released yet in my region), 1917, Little Women, Bombshell, A Hidden Life, Farewell (not released yet in my region) and more still to come. It's insane how much good stuff there's been in 2019

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Really pleased for Rian. Knives Out was brilliant and extremely well written and filmed. Loved it.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Frozen II is probably going to cruise by the Billion, as a reminder, this film has basically zero competition during the Christmas Period. The only other animated film coming out is.

LongScrawnyCommabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Spies in Disguise, which Disney also owns now as well considering Blue Sky was part of Fox, and I'm sure Disney are going to push their own film over Fox. Add to that the Christmas Period in general benefits family films a lot when the kids get out of school... Yeah, Frozen II is going to do very well in the long run of things.
Imagine sleeping on Playmobil: The Movie.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the spies in disguise trailer before knives out. Never heard of it before.
Made me understand the complaints about the Soul trailer (black lead that gets turned into something that isn't a black person)

The trailer was also thoroughly unfunny.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Knives was absolutely incredible. Super tight script and great dialogue. Rian is really very talented, I still want to know how Canto bight and the resistance plot happened in TLJ from a writer of his skill. Also Daniel Craig and Ana de Armas are fantastic actors.

Not every person is suited for every type of material. I think it's pretty obvious that Johnson works a lot better as a creator of original works instead of someone continuing an established franchise.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Went to see Knives Out yesterday; and it was great! So glad to se Rian Johnson doing so well.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd believe Rian Johnson is a woman with how much he is being questioned after all of these successful projects

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not every person is suited for every type of material. I think it's pretty obvious that Johnson works a lot better as a creator of original works instead of someone continuing an established franchise.
Yeah, pretty obvious indeed. I mean when I see a filmmaker release a film that grosses over a billion dollars and recieves glowing critical acclaim my first thought is "it's obvious they were a bad fit for this project" too.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Rian Johnson could makes a billion dollar+ movie with critical acclaim on a project he was not "suited" for then damn, I'm even more impressed by TLJ now.

Status
Not open for further replies.