• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyone could have done that.
film-producer-ron-howard-laughs-at-an-advertising-conference-at-in-picture-id111334674

he did the best he could

Knives Out was surprisingly woke. I'm sure 80% of audiences won't pick up on it though.
There were people in the OT for that movie arguing that the movie's story had nothing to do with race and it would have been better if the

Latina nurse really was the killer

Yeah, I think that's a fair assessment. At least the surface-level stuff (arguing about Trump, the alt-right grandson and feminist studies granddaughter) can't be dismissed out of hand.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
He... he still gives Knives Out a 8/10 and a heavy recommendation.

He's hardly alone in liking Knives Out and disliking TLJ.
It's kind of worse that they like the film but still cling to a childish tantrum in wishing for the financial failure of Kinves Out because of their minority opinion on an unrelated sci-fi fantasy film.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad that Knives Out is doing well, great movie! My one problem with it is I wish they wouldn't have given so much screen time to right wing talking points about illegal immigration. Obviously the movie as a whole largely condemns racism and exclusion, but I guarantee there was a portion of the audience nodding along with Don Johnson's character's whole spiel.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Really glad that Knives Out is doing well, great movie! My one problem with it is I wish they wouldn't have given so much screen time to right wing talking points about illegal immigration. Obviously the movie as a whole largely condemns racism and exclusion, but I guarantee there was a portion of the audience nodding along with Don Johnson's character's whole spiel.
Eh, that's a case where I feel it's on the audience if they don't draw the connection. We learn early on how horrible of a person Don Johnson's character is, which I think colors his political spiel later on (along with the casual racism he throws in there). "We need an asshole in office!" are hollow words coming from the mouth of an asshole. I do see your point, though, there will absolutely be people who don't get it.

Can I just say though how great of an actor Johnson is? I know he's been in a ton of stuff, but the first thing I recognized him in was the Netflix Lemony Snicket series, and he was fantastic in that, but he was even better in this.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, pretty obvious indeed. I mean when I see a filmmaker release a film that grosses over a billion dollars and recieves glowing critical acclaim my first thought is "it's obvious they were a bad fit for this project" too.
If Rian Johnson could makes a billion dollar+ movie with critical acclaim on a project he was not "suited" for then damn, I'm even more impressed by TLJ now.

We've talked about this issue with both of you in the past and you should already know that I don't doubt TLJ's commercial or critical success, therefore that kind of snark is misplaced. I believe I have expressed my personal opinion on Rian Johnson's Star Wars work in a way that doesn't offend those who enjoy it.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Knives Out was excellent. Rian Johnson remains an inventive, exciting filmmaker that Star Wars fans really don't deserve.

But they're going to get more RJ anyway.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've talked about this issue with both of you in the past and you should already know that I don't doubt TLJ's commercial or critical success, therefore that kind of snark is misplaced. I believe I have expressed my personal opinion on Rian Johnson's Star Wars work in a way that doesn't offend those who enjoy it.
Saying it's "obvious that Johnson works a lot better as a creator of original works instead of someone continuing an established franchise" is the exact opposite of that though lol. As it's not obvious, at all.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Saying it's "obvious that Johnson works a lot better as a creator of original works instead of someone continuing an established franchise" is the exact opposite of that though lol. As it's not obvious, at all.

Each post is the opinion of the person who writes it. To me it is very obvious as the original material he has written is way more enjoyable to me than his franchise work. I enjoyed Looper, I didn't enjoy TLJ, I like everything I've seen of Knives out and I'm excited to watch it. I have expressed interest in watching RJ's new Star Wars trilogy if it ever happens because that will be something he will create from scratch, which I feel plays to his strengths.You obviously feel otherwise about TLJ but your difference of opinion does not upset me, I don't feel any need to lash out at you for something as trivial and subjective as film criticism.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
A: *hyperbolic, unsupported take*

B: 🀑

A: "hey wow guys so snarky it's just an opinion valid like anybody else's"

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I need to rewatch Knives Out because I apparently wasn't as blown away as everyone else was.

That said, y'all. I watched A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood and I got in my feels. A lot.

I think it's that, Ford v. Ferrari or the Irishman for best picture of the year for me. Will reserve the right to change if Little Women is as good as the reviews say.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Just ordered tickets for a third watch of Frozen 2

First time I've ever seen something in theaters more than twice, and it might not even be the last time I see it

I'm so happy they knocked it out of the park and made a sequel better than the original

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Knives Out is a limited release in my country 😭

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
You ever wonder about the other end of the spectrum from China's hard cap on import theatrical runs?

A South Korean civic group has filed a complaint with local prosecutors against the Walt Disney Company, claiming that Frozen 2 violated the country's antitrust act by showing on 88 percent of domestic movie screens.

Despite allegations of a monopoly, there has been confusion within the Korean film industry over the methodology and measures used to calculate screen shares.

The metric used by PWC, as well as other film industry bodies, to measure screen share uses the percentage of screens showing a specific film at least once in the given day. But the other organizations, including the state-run Korean Film Council (KOFIC), calculate screen share by taking the total number of times a certain film was shown and dividing it by the total number of times any film was shown on that day.

Using KOFIC's measure, the screen share β€” or percentage of showings β€” of Frozen 2 on Nov. 23 was 46.3 percent, not the 88 percent figure cited by PWC.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of Rian Johnson since Brick I feel weird not especially loving Last Jedi and also weird seeing him get so much hate for it. Really want to see Knives Out though.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell is Grace Randolph allowed to affect anyone's RT score? Her review is just "it's political so it's bad".
I love that her review site is called "beyond the trailer" and the blurb for Knives Out also argues the film is bad because it's not what the trailer promised. So stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.