• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

thor3ueuvj.png

badmoms2jkua4.png

jigsawonu0d.png

boo2vzu1b.png

geostormruu2d.png

'Thor: Ragnarok' Rules With $121 Million Weekend

Disney-Marvel's "Thor: Ragnarok" is heading for a stellar opening weekend with $121 million at 4,080 North American locations — the fourth best launch of 2017.

The third Thor movie is also putting an emphatic end to the month-long box office slump that saw the worst October in a decade. Among 2017 titles, its debut weekend trails only "Beauty and the Beast" at $174.8 million, "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" at $146.5 million and "It" at $123.4 million.

STXfilms' R-rated "A Bad Moms Christmas," which opened Wednesday, is heading for a respectable $21.6 million at 3,615 sites for its first five days. A24's launch of Greta Gerwig's "Lady Bird" posted the best platform opening of the year with $375,612 on four screens for an impressive $93,903 per-screen average.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved but crazy numbers for Thor.

There's even a chance it'll do higher because holy shit, this weekend is so bad.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Ragnarok was a very fun film - really deserves that opening. Even if you're not into MCU films you should check it out.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ apparently people just wanted fun Thor, not serious Thor.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Marvel breaks their "three movies and you're done" rule for Thor since Taikia did wonders for them and this was kinda a reboot for the franchise.

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the multipliers chart in the other thread, kswiss.

I think Thor probably has a shot at 800MM WW and 300MM domestic. That's pretty crazy considering the other Thor movies and the stench from TDW. Taika Waititi should fix inhumans next.

Oct 26, 2017
Thor deserves it. What a fun movie. Not sure what kind of legs it'll have given JL in a couple weeks, but given it's the polar opposite of the DC dark take on superheroes, I hope it has a good run.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople about a year ago, but didn't realize the same director was doing Ragnarok until just recently. I was kinda tuning out Thor until that first trailer. Taika Waititi crushed it, and the entire cast was clearly having a hoot. Been watching interviews where he says how shocked he was Marvel let him go the direction he did unimpeded. Huge kudos to everyone involved, Ragnarok was a ton of fun. Much deserved numbers for it.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats for Thor. Heard good things and I'll probably go see it this Wednesday with the wife and kids.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Marvel breaks their "three movies and you're done" rule for Thor since Taikia did wonders for them and this was kinda a reboot for the franchise.
It would be great if this was the direction they went, post-Infinity War. A run of semi-connected one-off stories with vibrant character.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, going full on Cosmic, or is it comic?, Thor with minimal time spent on Earth was a good move. Waititi just nailed it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah, going full on Cosmic, or is it comic?, Thor with minimal time spent on Earth was a good move. Waititi just nailed it.
I hope at some point DC will have the balls to do the same with Superman. Just crazy adventures across time (the Legion) and space (the New Gods, Lobo, etc).
Hell, I can't believe the Green Lantern movie actually took place on earth. What a waste.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Snowman finally getting the axe.

What a random footnote in the year that was. Stick it in the same box as The Book of Henry and Monster Trucks for the Oddities of the Year Collection.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England

because i'm not a comics guy, apart from thors solo bits, and obviously the avengers, is he a part of any other 'team' or major story arc involving other heroes which they might give taika the reigns on?... and obviously that would fit into the future of the mcu post avengers 3&4

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty decent hold for Jigsaw given it underperformed last week.

Hopefully if they make a sequel, it isn't boring as shit like that one.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I continue to be extremely pleased at the dominance of superhero movies at the box office, I'm in awe that It beat Ragnarok on opening weekend.

This has been such an amazing year for horror movies, I hope that 2018 continues this!!!

The film played to Hemsworth's comedic strengths and hunkitude and cut the fat. And yeah, people like Hulk and Thor.

I loved how much Hemsworth's comedic strengths and timing were used effectively - he's always been a funny guy but it was great seeing it in full force as Thor.

Also seeing Hulk (not just as Banner) as an actual character rather than "Hulk Smash" was great too.

Tony and Bruce are the Science Bros but Thor and Hulk are the Revenger Bros.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Snowman is RACING out of theaters, very impressive flop status.

Last Flag Flying numbers are about as bad as Lady Bird's are good

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I hope at some point DC will have the balls to do the same with Superman. Just crazy adventures across time (the Legion) and space (the New Gods, Lobo, etc).
Hell, I can't believe the Green Lantern movie actually took place on earth. What a waste.

I'd love to get a Brave and the Bold type of Batman film, but I can't see that going over well with the general public given the overwhelming perception of Batman as a stoic badass. I know that this is kind of what Lego Batman was but I want a live action version with Jason Momoa reenacting this scene.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Usually it's pretty hard to get opening weekend tickets at my theater but had no problem getting Thor tickets. Going to see it in a few hours but happy to see it doing so well.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'd love to get a Brave and the Bold type of Batman film, but I can't see that going over well with the general public given the overwhelming perception of Batman as a stoic badass. I know that this is kind of what Lego Batman was but I want a live action version with Jason Momoa reenacting this scene.

BatB Aquaman is the best.
But at least we got Lego Batman.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Goddamn. Who would have thought a Thor movie would do this well.

Amazing movie though, in my top 10 all-time for sure. Taika is a God.

Definitely think a fourth film is a lock now, seems everyone is on board for it which can't be said for a fourth Cap or even a fourth Iron Man(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.