• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

xiWbzcR.png

7FIDW4B.png

2CIZUbX.png

bMKznBP.png

tgo07A5.png

'Coco' Repeats as Box Office Winner With $26.1 Million

Disney-Pixar's animated comedy "Coco" easily repeated as the winner of the North American box office with a solid $26.1 million at 3,987 locations during a moderate weekend.

Awards contenders "Lady Bird" and "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" tied for seventh place with $4.5 million each. A24's "Lady Bird" expanded by 403 sites to 1,194 and Fox Searchlight's "Three Billboards" doubled its run to 1,430 screens.

The major studios opted to rely on holdovers during the session and held off on any wide openings. A24 generated strong performance from its limited launch of James Franco's "The Disaster Artist" with $1.2 million at 19 locations for a $64,254 per screen average. Fox Searchlight's "The Shape of Water" saw an impressive $166,800 at two theaters and Woody Allen's "Wonder Wheel" debuted with a solid $140,555 at five sites through Amazon.

Sony Classics' second weekend of "Call Me By Your Name" posted a stellar $281,280 at four screens for a 10-day total of $908,175. It won best feature at the Gotham Independent Film Awards on Nov. 27.

"Justice League" has finished its first 17 days with $197.3 million domestically. The movie, which teams up the DC characters in the same manner as Disney-Marvel's superheroes, is the 10th highest-grossing title released in 2017. It's been the lowest performer among the five films in the DC Extended Universe, with "Wonder Woman" grossing $275.1 million in its first 17 days in June and "Suicide Squad" taking in $262.4 million in its first 17 days last year.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Coco crosses 75M in China and has a good shot at 150M. These crazy BO runs in China are fascinating.

The previous Pixar high was Finding Dory at 39M.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to see Shape of Water last night but the next several showings were sold out... now I know why, there were only two theatres showing it in the whole country!

Did get a chance to see Disaster Artist though, which was a lot of fun.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Coco made $18M in its first weekend in China. Its second weekend was around $44M. It is now at $75M in China, and should easily blow past $150M.

The previous Chinese gross record for Pixar was $38M for Finding Dory.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
That PTA (and hold) for Call Me by Your Name is pretty damn impressive, shame that SPC seem to want to stick to their weird rollout scheme. Ladybird and Three Billboards is putting in damn fine numbers as well.

And Justice League keeps doing Justice League things to no one's surprise

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
what's justice league at worldwide? will it even reach man of steel?

Kingsman Golden Circle finally surpassed $100m, rip to that franchise tbh
hmmm. it's kind of a shame because i really like vaughn and i really liked the secret service. but the golden circle was a mess. easily my biggest disappointment of the year so far.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means that less studios will be interested in picking up Millar's works for adaptation now. Not that he has many left that would be suitable for mass audiences at this point, aside from what the major capes could potentially borrow from his runs.

Netflix just picked up his Millarworld imprint, so its only a matter of time before Starlight Netflix movie or whatever the fuck

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this means that less studios will be interested in picking up Millar's works for adaptation now. Not that he has many left that would be suitable for mass audiences at this point, aside from what the major capes could potentially borrow from his runs.

Isn't Netlfix making all his stuff now anyway (with the exception of Kick-Ass & Kingsman)?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Justice League, the first ever motion picture to feature DC's most iconic, popular superheros all on screen together, is going to crawl and drag its way forward just to MAYBE out-gross Man of Steel...

Warner Bros:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Coco this weekend. Was fantastic and looked beautiful. The previews that played before though (the amazing trifecta of Sherlock Gnomes, Peter Rabbit and Duck, Duck, Goose) made me feel sorry for parents with children who will inevitably have to be dragged along to see that crap.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Justice League, the first ever motion picture to feature DC's most iconic, popular superheros all on screen together, is going to crawl and drag its way forward just to MAYBE out-gross Man of Steel...

Someone else on here said it first but the whole allure of a teamup kinda happened in BvS, people got to see the big 3 together, no one was rushing out to see an Aquaman, Flash or Cyborg they hadn't gotten to know yet.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Saw Coco this weekend. Was fantastic and looked beautiful. The previews that played before though (the amazing trifecta of Sherlock Gnomes, Peter Rabbit and Duck, Duck, Goose) made me feel sorry for parents with children who will inevitably have to be dragged along to see that crap.

LOL
Don't forget the super long and only mildly entertaining Olaf "short" that came just before the movie, followed by a quick message from Pixar Animation studios. My daughter asked me "is the the movie...? this isn't Coco.... I thought we were gonna watch Coco?"

JL creeping towards Avengers OW.

Someone get the champagne ready.

I'm actually wondering which movie gets dropped from theaters first... JL or Thor
and which one makes it to the next milestone first (JL to $600 WW or Thor to $850 WW)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
LOL
Don't forget the super long and only mildly entertaining Olaf "short" that came just before the movie, followed by a quick message from Pixar Animation studios. My daughter asked me "is the the movie...? this isn't Coco.... I thought we were gonna watch Coco?"

)

lol when we bought tickets the guy at the front desk warned us about the Frozen short as a lot of people come out during the middle of it either complaining or asking for refunds.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Kingsman Golden Circle finally surpassed $100m, rip to that franchise tbh
I'm not so sure about that. It still made 400m WW and with a budget of 100m it's pretty safe to consider it profitable. It's almost exactly on par with Pacific Rim but cost almost 100m less and that one is still getting a sequel.

I'm not sure we really NEED another Kingsman right now but if they were to limit the budget to something along the lines of 80m it could be a steady earner around the 400m mark. Sure, it's no Star Wars but with that kind of budget it doesn't really have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.