• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

oinTG0z.png

iZk8dkz.png

AFbqkVR.png

PeP53Vw.png

Yw5VzdY.png

Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Soars to $220 Million Opening Weekend

The Force dominated at the box office as Disney-Lucasfilm's "Star Wars: The Last Jedi opened with a stellar $220 million weekend at 4,232 North American sites — the second-highest opening weekend of all time.

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" trails only the $248 million launch of 2015's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

The tentpole opened with $104.8 million on Friday (including $45 million from Thursday night previews) for the second-best opening day of all time, followed by $64 million on Saturday and a projected $51.3 million on Sunday. With international grosses hitting $230 million, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" totaled $450 million worldwide.

Audiences surveyed by comScore's PostTrak gave stellar marks to the tentpole with 66% calling it "excellent" and another 23% rating it "very good." A total of 79% said they would "definitely recommend" the movie.

Fox's counter-programming foray with animated family comedy "Ferdinand" finished a distant second with $13.3 million at 3,621 locations in North America amid expectations of a $15 million debut. The movie is based on the children's book "The Story of Ferdinand" and directed by Carlos Saldanha, with John Cena voicing the Spanish bull who doesn't want to fight.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars did more in one weekend more than Justice League has in 5 weeks.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Disney is projecting a 20% drop for Sunday, so the actuals have a good chance of increasing.

Oct 25, 2017
"Hmmm, when to release our talking animal movie. I think December 15th will work"
"Sir, that's the same day as Star Wars"
"Ah I'm sure we'll be fine, they're two entirely different audiences"
*box office results come out*
"WE TOLD YOU IT WAS THE SAME DAY AS STAR WARS! YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO US!"

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I have a feeling they're gonna drop that Solo trailer around or shortly after Christmas.

Oct 26, 2017
No one in Sweden will see that Ferdinand movie. We've been assaulted with the Disney Ferdinand short every Christmas Eve since the early 70s. Anyone going to see more of that story is a masochist.

And a children's movie I've worked on, opens on the same day. So hopefully people go see that instead :P

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really impressive, the hunger for Star Wars is incredible, it's the biggest opening in 2017 where I live too and as much as I hate this movie, I still hope that this saga will never end.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
LJ>JL... that's rough.
Call Me by Your Name continues to impress, but damn if I still don't get SPC's release schedule for it. Lady Bird and Disaster Artist did well too, and I Tonya seems to be on track to do well.

Oct 25, 2017
Happy with that. Easily one of my favourite Star Wars movies. I love how it recontextualizes the mythos (and pisses off Gamer Gaters while we're at it).

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Audiences surveyed by comScore's PostTrak gave stellar marks to the tentpole with 66% calling it "excellent" and another 23% rating it "very good." A total of 79% said they would "definitely recommend" the movie.

But guys, I was told everyone hates it and it's the worst thing ever.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
"Hmmm, when to release our talking animal movie. I think December 15th will work"
"Sir, that's the same day as Star Wars"
"Ah I'm sure we'll be fine, they're two entirely different audiences"
*box office results come out*
"WE TOLD YOU IT WAS THE SAME DAY AS STAR WARS! YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO US!"

Counter programming is a dumb strategy when it comes to STAR WARS.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
TLJ slots in as the #10 DOM film of 2017 after one weekend knocking JL out of the top 10.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great result for TLJ, it's an excellent movie.

I wonder where it ends up domestically (700+?) and worldwide (1.5b?).

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I saw TLJ on at 9:30 a.m. on Friday and it was packed. Usually that early it's maybe 10 people in the theater, but every row had people in it for TLJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.