• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

AL8p3mc.png

e42I7ee.png

A3RD1gm.png

3Dvg916.png

6dPzfiw.png

Box Office: 'Last Jedi,' 'Jumanji' Rule Christmas; 'Downsizing' Bombs

Today, moviegoing will slow down as people prepare for Christmas Eve festivities. Traffic will then pick up again in earnest on Monday once presents are unwrapped.

Disney and Lucasfilm's The Last Jedi is pacing to gross $100.7 million from 4,323 theaters for the long weekend (Friday-Monday), pushing its domestic total to $397 million through Christmas Day. Through Sunday, the film's global haul is a mighty $745.5 million.

In a win for Sony, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is on course to earn $64 million or more in its six-day debut — it opened Wednesday alongside The Greatest Showman — from 3,765 theaters to come in No. 2. The reboot, starring Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas and Bobby Cannavale, opens 22 years after the original Jumanji.

Another Christmas winner is Universal's Pitch Perfect 3 , which is on course for a four-day debut of $27 million or more after launching on Friday in 3,447 theaters. Targeting younger females, the film is holding at No. 3.

Marking filmmaker Alexander Payne's most ambitious film to date, Downsizing is projected to earn $6.6 million from 2,558 theaters in its four-day debut for a seventh place finish. The previous regime at Paramount paid $70 million to make the satire, starring Matt Damon as an ordinary Midwestern man who decides to be shrunk to five inches tall in order to live like a king.

Father Figures, from Alcon Entertainment and Warner Bros. is faring even worse. The male-skewing comedy is looking at a four-day debut of $4.2 million from 3,902 theaters. The film, following two brothers who set out to find their biological father, stars Owen Wilson, Ed Helms, J.K. Simmons, Katt Williams, Terry Bradshaw and Ving Rhames.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
How long before TLJ eclipses Rogue One? A couple more weekends?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Greatest Showman and especially Downsizing are massive bombas, Jesus.

This week is super crowded.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Word of mouth. Last Jedi divided a lot of people. I know I told my casual friends that it wasn't a movie I enjoyed.

I watched TFA 3 times, this one, only once will do. Lack of repeat viewings will hurt this one.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
omg can Star Wars as a franchise ever recover from this historically devastating BO performance?!

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
69% drop doesn't seem too bad for a film that had as stellar of an opening weekend as The Last Jedi did.

They spent how much on Downsizing?!?

Holy shit, Paramount is so bad at this.

Jesus, I didn't know they'd spent that much on that film. Why would you ever spend that much on an Alexander Payne film? I love the director, but that's a bold gamble.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow 69% drop is huge. Looking at some recent blockbusters thats the biggest drop I've been able to find, closest was Spider-Man Homecoming which was 62%, most of the others were in the 55% range. Disney can't be pleased.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Matt Damon going to be starring in direct to DVD movies only soon.

Sequels are typically more front loaded anyway so it's tough to determine the cause of the drop for TLJ. I don't think next weekend helps determine either being new years weekend. Need to see the drop the weekend after new years.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Wow 69% drop is huge. Looking at some recent blockbusters thats the biggest drop I've been able to find, closest was Spider-Man Homecoming which was 62%, most of the others were in the 55% range. Disney can't be pleased.

The movie is already at 745 million globally. It was never going to do as well as The Force Awakens, but it also doesn't need to. And like Cheebo pointed out, today is Christmas Eve.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

It will have a much bigger Monday than those. They are predicting 33-34 for Monday.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User was warned: Insulting other users. Please stick to the topic.
I see Cheebo and the usual suspects still defending the historical drop. Lmao. Word of mouth affected the movie and will affect the sequels as well. This was gonna make a ton of money even if Jar Jar was the main character. Stop,doing free PR, it's disgusting .

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Expect a lot of people who feel insecure about not liking TLJ to start celebrating these numbers, ignoring that it's not Christmas Eve, and pretending TFA didn't open under unique circumstances to try and pass off TLJ as a flop this week.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's a big drop, no doubt, but having the second weekend just before Christmas probably hasn't helped.

Still, I'm sure Disney are woodyharrelsoncryingintomoney.gif about "only" pulling in that much for the second weekend.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
What is the expected 4 day total for the last Jedi. Anything lost on Christmas Eve should be made up Christmas day since Christmas Day is typically a huge movie day.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow. The Last Jedi is going to do even worse than I thought. Guess that's what a bad movie deserves.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Downsizing's budget is kind of insane, it could've been made for half that.

I saw it opening night and there was only about three other people in the theater with me.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Sony charting out the Jumanji Cinematic Universe as we speak

That Downsizing budget what in the fuck man

It's fucking over. Sell the rights back to Marvel.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Downsizing budget needed some, uhh, what's the word I'm looking for...

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't expect this to make a huge difference, but I guess we'll see in a week or two.
Except that makes a HUGE difference. Christmas Eve is one of the worst boxoffice days of the year historically. And Christmas day is one of the best, if not THE best day historically.

How is that not a big difference?

Christmas Day gross for TLJ is projected to be about double what it did Christmas Eve.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty large drop, but Spider-Man had one too and that movie still ended up doing really well so it's probably not cause for concern.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I'll hold off judgment on this drop until next weekend. If next weekend is flat-ish, it would seem timing had a lot to do with it

Status
Not open for further replies.