• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

4xMIKbN.png

ENGPi1O.png

BK1Q6AY.png

2thRq5n.png

nYbZIhp.png

Box Office: 'Coco' Wins as 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Waits in the Wings

"Coco" joined "The Hitman's Bodyguard," "Fate of the Furious" and "Split" as 2017 titles to top the domestic box office for three weekends in a row. The major studios have held off on any new openings since the Thanksgiving holiday but that changes on the evening of Dec. 14 when previews start for Disney-Lucasfilm's "The Last Jedi" amid expectations of an opening weekend in the $200 million range.

There was a single wide opening this weekend with Broad Green Pictures' final movie, "Just Getting Started," showing little traction with moviegoers with $3.2 million at 2,146 locations. "Just Getting Started," an action comedy starring Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones, wound up in 10th place behind A24's sixth weekend of awards contender "Lady Bird" with $3.5 million at 1,557 venues.

A24's expansion of James Franco's comedy-drama "The Disaster Artist" took in a solid $6.4 million at 840 venues, up from 19 last weekend. That edged the sixth weekend of Disney-Marvel's "Thor: Ragnarok" with $6.3 million at 3,047 sites, which put its domestic total above $300 million. The third Thor movie was a key factor in November's box office staying ahead of the same month last year.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to see Thor doing well!

And nice on Coco, can't wait to see you next year!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, this BO can drop off the earth. That's a promise.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never heard of Wonder but it's apparently a huge hit. Surprised Coco isn't doing better, but my kids and her friends wanted to see the Frozen thing more than the movie that followed it.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Justice League is in for a nasty drop next weekend. Probably Ragnarok as well. It's past $300M, and I doubt Disney cares enough to push for $325M. We'll see.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Only a 2% drop for Call Me By Your Name
giphy.gif

Good to see Lady Bird and Disaster Artist doing well too.

Also Wonder managed to cross 100 million. Julia Roberts is still a box office draw.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
If The Disaster Artist opened up in more theaters it could have beaten Wonder and possibly Justice League. A24 underestimated audiences interest.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Murder on the Orient Express is most likely going to hit $100 million domestic unless Star Wars just murders everything, which is a distinct possibility.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Murder on the Orient Express is most likely going to hit $100 million domestic unless Star Wars just murders everything, which is a distinct possibility.

Star Wars won't be able to stop Orient Express or Daddy's Home 2 from hitting $100M domestic, even if both have 60% drops next weekend. They will be too close, and we are entering the holiday season.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
If The Disaster Artist opened up in more theaters it could have beaten Wonder and possibly Justice League. A24 underestimated audiences interest.

Its a two-way street. Mainstream theaters also had to be willing to give more screens to a distributor that has never released a movie this wide. Disaster Artist is A24's biggest project by good bit. Only Spring Breakers is in the same league and kinda disappointed at the BO.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tracking for The Last Jedi yet? It's been damn quiet. The movie comes out in days now
It's tracking in the $200m range. What direction it breaks and by how much is guesswork, since tracking for films with that big of an opening can swing in a wide range. I'm still thinking it's pretty damn close to TFA. It has a longer runtime going against it from that standpoint.

Star Wars won't be able to stop Orient Express or Daddy's Home 2 from hitting $100M domestic, even if both have 60% drops next weekend. They will be too close, and we are entering the holiday season.
Orient Express topped $250m this weekend too, and that's without the international update. Solid run.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Its a two-way street. Mainstream theaters also had to be willing to give more screens to a distributor that has never released a movie this wide. Disaster Artist is A24's biggest project by good bit. Only Spring Breakers is in the same league and kinda disappointed at the BO.

That isn't accurate. It Comes At Night launched in over 2500 venues this year. Free Fire was released in over 1000 this year as well. A24 also launched The Witch in 2000+ venues last year.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny: Can I have a dozen Cocos?
Clerk: that'll be $18.
Johnny: Here you go. Keep the change. Hi Justice League.
Clerk: You're my favorite customer.

Nov 13, 2017
Disaster Artist was really fucking good. Hope more people check it out.

I'm really disappointed that Coco isn't smashing. I blame it on marketing. I haven't seen anything for Coco. Everything is Star Wars.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Shame about Disaster Artist's numbers but it was really just a passion project and its budget was just $10 mil, so it'll be fine.

Last Jedi about to drop a nuke on the charts next week.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Justice League holding on to that #2 position in a sort of depressing "I can still do this! Please!" way.

Its like that point in a movie where the guy is desperately hanging on to the edge of the cliff with one hand before someone slowly walks up and just steps on it and they fall and get eaten by the crocodiles.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thor Ragnarok would surpass 860M before February by this rate (if it's only not affected by TLJ)

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Just shy of $275M worldwide for Murder on the Orient Express

Coco is now up to $128M in China, and will probably end up in the $170M range

Paddington 2 opened to $15M in China

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Back to the RPO talk from the other thread, does the book really have defenders? I really liked it but I knew it was trash, and that seems to be the concensus among people I know in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.