• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell did Alita ever have a budget of $200 million?! Has a film based on an anime, Manga or geek property like this ever made enough money to justify a budget like that? I know Cameron loves pushing his tech, but it seems like they should have spent about half that much making it.

This is the exact problem I have with the Double Toasted Sunday Top 5 segment. They too don't seem to understand how film budgets work.

"It made $175M on a budget of $174M, so yeah it's made its money back so that's good."

There was also an episode of RedLetterMedia where they discussed film budgets, and they didn't seem to understand factoring in marketing spends at all. It's a really straightforward concept so it's a little baffling to see people who obviously know a lot about films and filmmaking fail to understand how it works.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling there won't be anymore Lego movies (at least not in this franchise).

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the hell did Alita ever have a budget of $200 million?! Has a film based on an anime, Manga or geek property like this ever made enough money to justify a budget like that? I know Cameron loves pushing his tech, but it seems like they should have spent about half that much making it.

There was also an episode of RedLetterMedia where they discussed film budgets, and they didn't seem to understand factoring in marketing spends at all. It's a really straightforward concept so it's a little baffling to see people who obviously know a lot about films and filmmaking fail to understand how it works.

Link? I've seen them factor in P&A before.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenlighting two spinoffs before your sequel's even out, then waiting five years to make the sequel was nooooooooooooot a good idea

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Alita has good WOM. I know that while my opening night IMAX showing was pretty full (70%), my Saturday IMAX showing was packed.

I've also been telling everyone I know about how much I liked it (due to no one seeing it, or even having heard of it, and wanting someone to talk to about it), so I've been doing my part. Despite my own biases, I think it's the first movie theater experience in a long time that I think is worth recommending to people for the experience regardless of if they care about the genre and despite some flaws.

Just the tech has made me a little hyped for the Avatar sequels for the first time.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Alita has good WOM. I know that while my opening night IMAX showing was pretty full (70%), my Saturday IMAX showing was packed.

I've also been telling everyone I know about how much I liked it (due to no one seeing it, or even having heard of it, and wanting someone to talk to about it), so I've been doing my part. Despite my own biases, I think it's the first movie theater experience in a long time that I think is worth recommending to people for the experience regardless of if they care about the genre and despite some flaws.

Just the tech has made me a little hyped for the Avatar sequels for the first time.
Expect the tech in the Avatar sequels to be worlds ahead of Alita. The only real enhancement this has over the original Avatar is the perf-cap head camera rig.

The Avatar sequels are gonna look absolutely insane with the upgrades they've made in the simulcam tech, the underwater perf-cap system they've perfected and the fact that we're gonna get Pandora in HFR laser projected 3D from a guy who has actually taken the time to properly learn the pitfalls and benefits of the format and adapting to it.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
China already loves Avatar and Marvel movies, though I think Disney is really behind WB and Sony when it comes to marketing there.
To be fair it's not like WB and Sony know how to market in China. It's Tencent who does. And also let's not pretend Aquaman or Venom did well based on the marketing. Both movies scored incredibly high with audiences and were very leggy.

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair it's not like WB and Sony know how to market in China. It's Tencent who does. And also let's not pretend Aquaman or Venom did well based on the marketing. Both movies scored incredibly high with audiences and were very leggy.

So did other Marvel movies, but none of them did as well as those two sans IW and IW was an event movie that should have arguably done even better. We'll see how Shazam and FFH do there.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So did other Marvel movies, but none of them did as well as those two sans IW and IW was an event movie that should have arguably done even better. We'll see how Shazam and FFH do there.
I don't think other Marvel movies were directly coproduced by Tencent though? Also it kinda looks like either Tencent figured stuff out with how to market superhero movies (as WW was also tencent co-produced but did small numbers in China) or they just got a lucky 1-2 punch in Venom and AM as those are the types of films that the Chinese audience simply likes.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
😕😕

DQSp18J.png

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Save Alita China.

I want a sequel. We've finally got another solid anime/manga adaptation. The 200 mil was certainly well spent, as this had some of the best uses of CGI integration I've seen in years.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alita could get a sequel but expect a visual downgrade like we got from Pacific Rim to its sequel.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is not going to ok an Alita sequel at anywhere near the same budget. So keep that in mind when you say you want a sequel because it could end up looking like a Disney XD animated show.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
Disney is not going to ok an Alita sequel at anywhere near the same budget. So keep that in mind when you say you want a sequel because it could end up looking like a Disney XD animated show.

Idk, without China (it's not released in China yet, ya?) its currently gotten back 1/2 its budget, assuming they keep 1/2 of the foreign sales. Albeit, it's a super slim chance, but it COULD happen.

Let's hope it has legs!

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
That Death Day movie is already out? AND it doesn't have a terrible RT score? I'm already there.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Idk, without China (it's not released in China yet, ya?) its currently gotten back 1/2 its budget, assuming they keep 1/2 of the foreign sales. Albeit, it's a super slim chance, but it COULD happen.

Let's hope it has legs!
I read in an article that Alita needs $400M to break even.
Make sure to keep in mind that the studio gets 55% of the domestic gross 35%-40% of the overseas gross and 25% of the China gross.

Rough math: From the $137m ww gross so far, Fox gets $23.6m from domestic and $33m from overseas. So that's $56m they've taken against the $170m budget plus whatever they spent on marketing. The legs will decide where this movie ends up, hopefully it has them.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

What about a limited series on Disney+ , starring some CW rejects?

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
You know it'd be way easier for them to make an Alita TV adaptation if they didn't spend millions on giving the lead character googly eyes and just let the actress play her.

Oh well.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Alita, but if there's no Salazar, then I don't want it. She was so good as Alita. They could recast everyone else, but it has to be her reprising the role (speaking in terms of if it showed up in some other media other than the movies -- i.e. a series or mini-series).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else I'd like to see a full bore anime adaptation now that there is renewed interest in the IP. Preferably with no relation to the film so it can be its own thing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if these week weaks are a small sign of something bigger?

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Is WAG really going to press forward with the Funko movie, given the diminishing returns? I just see it getting quietly shelved.

I'd say they're keeping a close eye on what Playmobil does. If that tanks (As it should) then they'll take it as a sign that the toy movie is dead. And really, was it ever alive? Only Lego 1 and Batman did well.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hoo boy was Alita bad. That movie will not age well. The first act was damn good. Then it just got stupid.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
I have been waiting for the Gunnm adaptation for a long time. I'm actually quite surprised at how faithful it was.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BO-18-Feb.jpg

Lego Movie 2, Spider-verse and Ralph Break the internet have unusually low drop on Monday.
while all other movies dropping ~40%

Any particular reason for these three movies? Spider-verse normally had higher drops during weekdays in previous weeks. Is it Oscar nomination Effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.