• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

P7wajM2.png

5jq4wD7.png

7YvhtH7.png

1RZ7W54.png

F4VqMaw.png

Box Office: 'Jumanji' Regains Top Spot for Modest Super Bowl Weekend

Sony's resilient "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" has returned to the top of the North American box office, leading a modest Super Bowl weekend with $11 million at 3,553 sites.

"Jumanji," which declined just 32%, is only the 11th title to top $11 million in its seventh weekend. It's the lowest total for a first-place film since the second weekend of "The Hitman's Bodyguard" won the final frame of August.

Overall domestic business was typically modest for a Super Bowl weekend with $92 million overall, according to comScore, as studios remain reluctant to open major titles during the frenzy surrounding the pro football championship. The weekend was down 56% from the prior session. The lowest recent Super Bowl weekend came in at $86 million in 2014, when the third weekend of "Ride Along" led with $12 million.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could be a fly in the wall for the Winchester casting meeting with Helen Mirren. What is the content of the meeting that goes "Dame Mirren, we have a c-grade ghost story not even polished enough for Blumhouse to take the reigns, would you like to play the lead?" and to which she says oh yes, darling?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Death Cure is doing rather well considering the gap between the last movie. I saw it today and I really enjoyed it as a finale to the series.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Really glad The Maze Runner will end up well into the black. OBrien deserves that boost to his career considering what he went through.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Jumanji is hitting 900 mil WW. It's fucking hilarious to see it at 1 and TLJ at 16.

Maze Runner being only 62mil is a shock to me. Even with the massive issue of the lead getting hurt. The film looked surprisingly good for a modest budget

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Has Jumanji spent more weeks at number 1 domestically than TLJ did?

Yes. The Last Jedi was #1 for 3 weekends. Jumanji just scored its fourth.

Also

Weekends in the Domestic Top 5:

The Last Jedi - 4
Jumanji - 7
The Greatest Showman - 7

The Last Jedi didn't even make it 7 weekends in the top 10.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maze Runner is doing really well for itself considering the delay. I enjoyed the other 2 so might have to give this one a watch. Happy for Dylan O Brien

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Jumanji is hitting 900 mil WW. It's fucking hilarious to see it at 1 and TLJ at 16.

Maze Runner being only 62mil is a shock to me. Even with the massive issue of the lead getting hurt. The film looked surprisingly good for a modest budget
I mean, the reason the series exists is because the first made $350 million on a $34 million budget.

The team can work miracles with squeezing the most out of every dollar.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Fun Fact: Jumanji is the first film since Titanic to release in December and take the top spot in February. That's a major accomplishment.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Jumanji is going to pass $900M without Japan. I have no idea how it will play in Japan though. I think that the release there is in April.

The Greatest Showman will probably hit $350M worldwide.

Coco passed $700M this weekend worldwide. It still has its Japanese release in March (plus a couple other smaller markets). Unless it explodes in Japan, I am guessing that it finishes around $750M. If it can pass $744M, it will become Pixar's fifth largest film worldwide.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Coco doing well. Sick to see Jumanji to so good. I really wanna watch both.

When are the Superbowl trailers/ads supposed to roll out?

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are release dates so long

By the time Jumanji hits Japan, it would be releasing on Blu-ray and VoD in the states no?

Counter productive no?

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Jumanji manages to hit a billion cause of Japan. 900 million is already insane though.

I wish I could be a fly in the wall for the Winchester casting meeting with Helen Mirren. What is the content of the meeting that goes "Dame Mirren, we have a c-grade ghost story not even polished enough for Blumhouse to take the reigns, would you like to play the lead?" and to which she says oh yes, darling?
"We'll add this many zeroes to the paycheck."
"Done!"

After all, she saw it fit to be in not just one but two Red films.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen Coco 7 times in theaters. One of my favorite movies of all time, let alone animated.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Why are release dates so long

By the time Jumanji hits Japan, it would be releasing on Blu-ray and VoD in the states no?

Counter productive no?

Japan has a strong domestic market, coupled with an extremely low screen count for the size of their country. There are about 3500 cinema screens (not venues, total screens) in Japan. The US number is about 40 000. So films will play on few screens for a long time, and domestic films typically get priority over foreign films. There are marketing factors as well, I think.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not doing any calamity posts but I think Disney is probably gonna stop doing yearly Star Wars releases.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
Japan has a strong domestic market, coupled with an extremely low screen count for the size of their country. There are about 3500 cinema screens (not venues, total screens) in Japan. The US number is about 40 000. So films will play on few screens for a long time, and domestic films typically get priority over foreign films. There are marketing factors as well, I think.

Don't they also purposefully wait till a film is a proven hit in the West, so they can use that fact in the marketing?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not doing any calamity posts but I think Disney is probably gonna stop doing yearly Star Wars releases.

Their star wars movies have done 900+ and two 600+ million domestic. It's not like tlj is a failure. They will keep doing yearly, but I suspect they won't let jj play so much with fan expectations with episode 9.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Nope. TLJ is tracking way behind R1 now when you allign them and from here on that movie only earned an additional 7.5 million.

If Disney was Sony, they could probably push TLJ over Avengers domestically with a big enough second run expansion. But Disney typically doesn't care about milking the last percent or two out of the box office, and will just put their marketing dollars towards BP and A Wrinkle in Time instead.

Don't they also purposefully wait till a film is a proven hit in the West, so they can use that fact in the marketing?

I have heard something like that. I mean, they definitely use success elsewhere in the marketing, but I am not sure where that ranks in terms of importance when deciding on a release window. We usually know the Japanese release date before the domestic release, even when they are separated by months.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Jumanji keeps on doing Jumanji things and Greatest Showman is still posting pretty insane holds.
The Shape of Water should have reached profitability with this weekend so its a goddamn bonafide hit with no qualifiers, the first such for GDT since Pan's Labyrinth.
Coco is over $700M worldwide, playing better than expected in Asia (first in China and now Korea) and opening to a number one in the Nordics. It's lagging a bit domestic (probably won't pass WALL·E domestic, is already ahead of WALL·E WW).
CMBYN had a pretty good hold thankfully, and a healthy PTA. SPC might have bungled its release a bit but audiences seem to find it.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
Their star wars movies have done 900+ and two 600+ million domestic. It's not like tlj is a failure. They will keep doing yearly, but I suspect they won't let jj play so much with fan expectations with episode 9.

I hope that's not what they take away from its mixed reception, although it probably will be.

I think the problem is it feels rushed - none of the ideas are properly thought through or executed, and it all feels like a film that needed a year's more work and several more drafts.

All of the three Disney films have felt like that, and it all seems such an unnecessary rush. I could understand if Disney were some minor studio desperate to pay the rent, but they're the very opposite.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that's not what they take away from its mixed reception, although it probably will be.

I think the problem is it feels rushed - none of the ideas are properly thought through or executed, and it all feels like a film that needed a year's more work and several more drafts.

All of the three Disney films have felt like that, and it all seems such an unnecessary rush. I could understand if Disney were some minor studio desperate to pay the rent, but they're the very opposite.

Rian Johnson spend 3+ years on the TLJ.

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
Rian Johnson spend 3+ years on the TLJ.

Presumably you're implying he was working on it a year before The Force Awakens was released (either that or he had a time machine) but that clearly couldn't have been much help considering how much the first film changed during production. Although it would explain the tonal and narrative dissonance between the two films.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't BO related per se, but this is also kind of the de-facto FilmERA, so does anyone know what the hell this tweet is referring to?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably you're implying he was working on it a year before The Force Awakens was released (either that or he had a time machine) but that clearly couldn't have been much help considering how much the first film changed during production. Although it would explain the tonal and narrative dissonance between the two films.

The script was finished the day TFA came out. Bob Iger talked about reading it as TFA released

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't BO related per se, but this is also kind of the de-facto FilmERA, so does anyone know what the hell this tweet is referring to?

Interesting wonder what it is. Solo and Westworld are already confirmed so I don't think that would blow anything up in terms of surprising. Any other big trailers it could be?

I highly doubt it's referring to Solo. Nothing about that movie will be history making

Dench

Nov 26, 2017
The script was finished the day TFA came out. Bob Iger talked about reading it as TFA released

He wrote the script without having seen The Force Awakens? Madness, to what purpose? Especially as the film that resulted suffers from exactly the problems you'd assume that kind of schedule would create.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

Not until 2021/2022, and they should have Avatar to fill in that gap anyway. Obi-Wan will more than likely hit 2020, and then it's just a matter of whether they choose to start Rian's trilogy in 2021 or let Avatar and Marvel carry that year and start it in 2022.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
He wrote the script without having seen The Force Awakens? Madness, to what purpose? Especially as the film that resulted suffers from exactly the problems you'd assume that kind of schedule would create.

Time. These type of movies take years, and it's not like he had no idea what JJ was doing on TFA. For instance, Johnson requested certain changes to the end of TFA to benefit TLJ.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

As the director of the next film in the trilogy, he would have probably seen a rough cut of TFA well before it released. Or at the very least had a copy of the shooting script to read and reference if necessary and a line to JJ if he had any questions (IIRC, there were stories that he asked JJ to change where he left a character at the end of TFA to set them up for TLJ).

Status
Not open for further replies.