• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Box Office: ‘Birds of Prey’ Grounded With $33.3M Bow

'Birds of Prey' failed to gain altitude in its box office debut over the weekend, earning a tepid $33.3 million from 4,236 theaters to mark one of the lowest domestic launches in modern times for a studio superhero pic.

The film faced challenges before getting to the big screen. Reshoots were ordered after the studio saw a first cut, with John Wick director Chad Stahelski enlisted to work alongside Yan and infuse Birds with more action.
Another site claiming reshoots.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
A real shame that Birds of Prey has opened soft. I don't think there's any one thing that's to blame, it's a combo of weird title, the leftover stench of Suicide Squad (yes, that made a lot of money, that just means a bunch of people saw it, not that they liked it) and the R rating (which I feel could've been easily cut down by dropping a bunch of F bombs and the scenes of graphic violence detail -
like the gurgling of the guy dying with an arrow in his neck, and the showing of a freshly removed face etc.
cutting out a bunch of the audience who liked Harley in SS. I've seen plenty mention the marketing sucked, but I didn't really see any marketing for it, so that didn't affect me. I hope word of mouth does well for it, because it's really funny at times and some of the action scenes are really great fun.

Nov 13, 2017

'Birds of Prey' failed to gain altitude in its box office debut over the weekend, earning a tepid $33.3 million from 4,236 theaters to mark one of the lowest domestic launches in modern times for a studio superhero pic.

This has been common knowledge for months...anyway,

Mulan is in danger. $300M budget, tracking under $50M domestic ow, and China might be on lockdown still because of corona virus.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
unfortunately, birds of prey faces some fierce competition next week with Sonic

Nov 13, 2017

This has been common knowledge for months...anyway,

Mulan is in danger. $300M budget, tracking under $50M domestic ow, and China might be on lockdown still because of corona virus.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Any think pieces on what BoP means for Black Widow?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BOPs low opening seems to be a storm of bad decisions.

- The title alone being a confusing one.
- Birds of Prey fans feel like they aren't getting a Birds of Prey film and instead getting a Harley Quinn film.
- An R Rating locking out the younger demographic that likes Harley Quinn from the various Animated Shows she's been in recently.
- Not having ties to the successful Joker movie from last year.
- Having ties to the successful but maligned Suicide Squad from a few years back.

That B+ cinemascore says all. The marketing is probably the biggest fault here and not the film itself.

Any think pieces on what BoP means for Black Widow?

Widow I imagine will be fine because it doesn't have an R Rating to contend with, and it's a marketing is a lot clearer on what the film is about.

Plus has that rumoured Cameo that might push people further in to see it.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Jumanji still chugging along to $300M. Maybe $800M worldwide? Not a bad decline for what was essentially thought of as lightning in a bottle.

LW crossing $100M!

Watching BoP today.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
That B+ cinemascore says all. The marketing is probably the biggest fault here and not the film itself.
One of the deadline updates from yesterday seemed to be claiming that the movie itself might have been an issue in a weird way. According to deadline they reshoot part of it and because of that marketing team didn't have a lot of footage to work.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a sequel rule at play with birds of prey I think, if lots of people go and watch a bad movie (as they did with suicide squad) they will remember how bad it was and just skip the next one regardless of quality. So in order to make money it has to have great word of mouth , strong legs. Birds of prey might recover a little bit in the next few weeks but it had a smaller budget and likely wasn't intended to be HUGE. I'm going to check it out myself this coming week I think. Looks like it's soft opening wasn't just a birds of prey problem though.... look at the entire top 10 and it's a super low total box office.

I would indeed be worried about Mulan. Honeslty, if I were in Disney's boat, I'd consider shelving that one until AFTER the corona virus thing is dealt with. Just freeze the marketing worldwide , take down all the promos and bring it out in a year or even 6 months. It'll shuffle their whole schedule around but it'll tank hard otherwise... which is a shame because it actually looks decent unlike every other shitty remake they've done this past decade.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
BOPs low opening seems to be a storm of bad decisions.

- The title alone being a confusing one.
- Birds of Prey fans feel like they aren't getting a Birds of Prey film and instead getting a Harley Quinn film.
- An R Rating locking out the younger demographic that likes Harley Quinn from the various Animated Shows she's been in recently.
- Having ties to the successful but maligned Suicide Squad from a few years back.

Widow I imagine will be fine because it doesn't have an R Rating to contend with, and it's a marketing is a lot clearer on what the film is about.

Plus has that rumoured Cameo that might push people further in to see it.
Suicide Squad also got a B+

May 10, 2018
Even with its relatively low budget, with its domestic performance and the way it's going internationally, BOP most likely won't barely break even until digital release.

Nov 13, 2017
Black Widow is going to do Ant-man numbers. The trailer makes it seem like a non-event and the action pales in comparison to the James Bond trailers that play before/after it in theaters.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really going to be a problem for every Batman related DCEU movie going forward? We've been told multiple times that it doesn't take place in the DCEU. That's not the movie's fault it didn't want to force in a tie-in to a story that would make no sense in the current timeline.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why BoP was rated R when Suicide Squad was PG-13. I don't think Harley Quinn is enough of a draw in comparison to something with lots of hype behind it like Deadpool to overcome that rating. Also, I don't think enough people are familiar enough with characters like Black Canary and Huntress either.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is this really going to be a problem for every Batman related DCEU movie going forward? We've been told multiple times that it doesn't take place in the DCEU. That's not the movie's fault it didn't want to force in a tie-in to a story that would make no sense in the current timeline.

Considering Harley specifically mentions the Joker in the trailer for this film. The casual audience will either think of the recent Joker film, or the Leto one that Harley was in.

Film can't have it's cake and eat it.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Marketing killed BOP, I forgot it was coming out. I guess they wanted that Deadpool flavor.

NEXT WEEK THOUGH:

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the trailers never made it clear whether this was gonna be a Harley Quinn solo movie or a supervillain team movie so there's that.

Also had no idea it was R-rated. What a way to limit your audience.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said in the other threads, but the theatre I was in for Birds of Prey yesterday had a whopping 5 other people in it.

It's only going to fall harder.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't say I'm too surprised that Birds of Prey had a weak opening.

None of the marketing told you what the film was about. It was just "Harley Quinn and Friends kicking ass and also there's Ewan McGregor over there!!"

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Marketing killed BOP, I forgot it was coming out. I guess they wanted that Deadpool flavor.

NEXT WEEK THOUGH:

Ah yes, now here's something that didn't "pay respect to the source material" yet kicked all kinds of ass.

Just pining for the days when this was "the Sonic movie":

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
It's funny to see that the R-rating is apparently is part of the blame when we had Bad Boys For life charting really damn well not to speak of other R-rated movies. And of Joker. Sometimes a movies doesn't do good for other reasons, in Birds of Prey case I don't know why it didn't do better.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Is Doolittle doing well with kids or something?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny to see that the R-rating is apparently is part of the blame when we had Bad Boys For life charting really damn well not to speak of other R-rated movies. And of Joker. Sometimes a movies doesn't do good for other reasons, in Birds of Prey case I don't know why it didn't do better.
Piss poor advertising.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Harley specifically mentions the Joker in the trailer for this film. The casual audience will either think of the recent Joker film, or the Leto one that Harley was in.

Film can't have it's cake and eat it.
You wouldn't have been able to tell a breakup story without mentioning the Joker. There can't be a giant group of people expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.