• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Just looking at the OP....

birds_of_prey_bannerwxkuz.png

borpjlw.png

lmao

the logic is there, I guess...

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
image0.png

Shazam had better daily holds in OW. It went on to a 2.61x domestic and 2.33 worldwide multiplier.
If BoP follows that path it ends domestic with about $86m Dom and 185m ww or so. Rough math.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Think about what you typed there. If it was that bad of an investment they wouldn't be able to get financing, investors are not that stupid to keep coming back if that was the case.

These studios are full of shit especially with stuff like claiming marketing budgets have some how increased 3-4x fold in 10 years time while TV marketing, print marketing are all way cheaper today than in the 90s/2000s. Never trust an accounting department that is highly incentivized to report losses. They will hide things like massive tax breaks they get from film locations as well if they can get away with it.

There's 786 theaterical releases last year versus 371 in 2000 ... investors are making money. "Terrible investments" don't see that kind of growth in investors if they lose money more often than not.

Well I've seen a lot of numbers so yeah they're not great investments. Rich people who like movies are often your biggest indie investors. They lose a lot of money it's really more normal than you're believing. They often don't come back for more. The film financing consortiums are a bit different and of course the major studios are too. Though most moviesarent particularly profitable henceforth the point of slates and slate financing. One big movie can pay for a bunch others.

I just read this a lot from people that somehow think Hollywood is lying about all their financials and it's just not really true. Certainly not the way you're saying. The margins ain't great and they often come from specific pictures not most movies are profitable. I mean you say the studios are full of shit but have you ever seen their financials?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Lotta people dunking on "WB execs" for failing this movie when Robbie herself is a producer on it lol. 100% she signed off on both the official title and the new one.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I've seen a lot of numbers so yeah they're not great investments. Rich people who like movies are often your biggest indie investors. They lose a lot of money it's really more normal than you're believing. They often don't come back for more. The film financing consortiums are a bit different and of course the major studios are too. Though most moviesarent particularly profitable henceforth the point of slates and slate financing. One big movie can pay for a bunch others.

I just read this a lot from people that somehow think Hollywood is lying about all their financials and it's just not really true. Certainly not the way you're saying. The margins ain't great and they often come from specific pictures not most movies are profitable. I mean you say the studios are full of shit but have you ever seen their financials?

Ask yourself why if that's the case that Hollywood studios are very eager to keep movie budgets going higher and higher. If that many films really were not turning a profit most likely in the last 10 years especially you would have seen studios pushing for lower budget projects ... but they don't really do that.

Keep in mind this is the same accounting services that argued that Return of the Jedi did not make a profit to screw David Prowse out of getting money.

Nov 13, 2017

It will definitely break even, at the very least. And I'm sure the Harley merch being released now and around Halloween will turn a profit for DC. I'm curious to see how it will do when it releases in Japan. I have no idea how popular Harley Quinn-chan is there, but her styling in the new movie seems to be very much up their alley.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017

It will definitely break even, at the very least. And I'm sure the Harley merch being released now and around Halloween will turn a profit for DC. I'm curious to see how it will do when it releases in Japan. I have no idea how popular Harley Quinn-chan is there, but her styling in the new movie seems to be very much up their alley.

Hate it to break it to you, but break even point will be above 250M at the very minimum.

"Birds of Prey" cost a reported $82 million to produce, with executives at rival studios putting that number as closer to $100 million (due to elaborate sets and CGI), and estimating the film needs to make around $100 million domestically and $300 million globally to break even. Sources close to the production say the breakeven number is closer to $250 million. Hitting those marks could prove difficult overseas, since fears of coronavirus have impacted moviegoing in Asia. However, its R-rating meant the film wasn't going to open in China in the first place.
variety.com

Why ‘Birds of Prey’ Whiffed at the Box Office

"Birds of Prey" has seemingly all the ingredients to become another box office hit for DC. So what happened?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no chance for it to break even theatrically. No way it gets near 250m worldwide. Movie is a dud eveywhere, Japan will be no different. Not sure why you'd think so? Suicide Squad didn't do anything too notable in Japan. Well below films like Deadpool and Civil War there. Was 26th place for the year with 15 mil.

Oct 27, 2017
Are executives at rival studios generally considered a good source for this sort of story? That seems very dicey from a journalistic standpoint.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will remain positive and hopeful :)
Going with your Japan hopeful prediction, let's say it defies all odds and somehow matches Suicide Squad in Japan. Something it is nowhere close to doing in the overseas market so far. But let's say Japan defies the rest of the world and BoP matches Suicide Squad there. Suicide Squad did 15 mil in Japan, it wasn't a big hit there and was 26th overall for the year. 15 mil in a foreign market wouldn't make much of a dent in this film achieving profitability at the box office.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks about BoP... but I'm part of the problem. I enjoyed SS (trash that it was) but this one didn't draw me to see it in the theater. I'll 100% catch it streaming though.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

The only time I see merch and blu ray sales brought up in box office discussions are when a movie flops or underperforms.

Never seen anyone suddenly care about that stuff for movies that do well.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The only time I see merch and blu ray sales brought up in box office discussions are when a movie flops or underperforms.

Never seen anyone suddenly care about that stuff for movies that do well.
Didn't people bring up disappointing SW merch sales in 2017 to try and prove The Last Jedi was a bomb?

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
There's a sequel rule at play with birds of prey I think, if lots of people go and watch a bad movie (as they did with suicide squad) they will remember how bad it was and just skip the next one regardless of quality. So in order to make money it has to have great word of mouth , strong legs. Birds of prey might recover a little bit in the next few weeks but it had a smaller budget and likely wasn't intended to be HUGE. I'm going to check it out myself this coming week I think. Looks like it's soft opening wasn't just a birds of prey problem though.... look at the entire top 10 and it's a super low total box office.

I would indeed be worried about Mulan. Honeslty, if I were in Disney's boat, I'd consider shelving that one until AFTER the corona virus thing is dealt with. Just freeze the marketing worldwide , take down all the promos and bring it out in a year or even 6 months. It'll shuffle their whole schedule around but it'll tank hard otherwise... which is a shame because it actually looks decent unlike every other shitty remake they've done this past decade.
Wouldn't that be terrible if Mulan ended up being the best movie of the Disney demakes, but did the worst business, and because of that, Disney learns all the wrong lessons? Man, that would suck. Although I guess they've already chewed through most of their renaissance output, so maybe the damage would be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.