• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Had an empty theatre I could vape in (afternoon showing of The Rhythm Section), one of life's simplest and sweetest pleasures. Last time it happened was that second live action ninja turtles flick.

And I gotta say, better than the reviews and returns would suggest. I hope it finds a nique following on video.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
It's going to be Black Cat.

Because:
A) That's been in development for awhile
B) They know how popular she is
C) They know how bad I want Felicia to be on the big screen.
D) They want me to stop calling about Spider-Man 2099. BUT I WON'T STOP SONY. YOU HEAR ME?!?!
Get Felicity Jones and make people think it's a ASM2 tie in.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Eh, SW is gonna end up roughly 300 mil more than Jumanji. Considering how loud the uproar was, SW still ended up with big numbers. Considering the state of the overall box office I don't think anyone's really crying about how much money they made from either, and SW still has Baby Yoda and Fallen Order to keep their profits as high as they were with TLJ's success.

It'll be interesting when Jumanji 4 comes out to see if that slide continues, and what the audience reaction will be to whatever SW movie comes next in 2022.
I think they can squeeze one more Jumanji outta the Rock before the well runs dry.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Will China’s Movie Industry Recover From Coronavirus?

Some observers predict the disruption to production will lead to a permanent shift in consumption to online viewing.
There's a lot of information in this article that sheds light on how bad this virus has been on the Chinese movie market. 25-50 of their earnings is just gone now. Some companies are paying for unused sets. Theaters might remain closed until the end of April. This is fucked.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
variety.com

Will China’s Movie Industry Recover From Coronavirus?

Some observers predict the disruption to production will lead to a permanent shift in consumption to online viewing.
There's a lot of information in this article that sheds light on how bad this virus has been on the Chinese movie market. 25-50 of their earnings is just gone now. Some companies are paying for unused sets. Theaters might remain closed until the end of April. This is fucked.
RIP Fast 9.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how's gonna be for the first movie that opens after so long.

Variety saying there's a chance that Fantasy Island overtakes BoP at #2 this weekend.

RIP.
Sonic #1!? :D

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
10 PM PST is a suspicious time. Paramount knows critics are about to put out the hit.

Edit: Oh, oops, this was supposed to go in the review thread but it works here as well.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic will be better than Parasite and gross 1 billion
xysdjowdutzz.gif

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

China’s Film Industry Hopes for Bailouts as Coronavirus Crisis Worsens

With nearly all of China's 70,000 movie theaters still weeks — if not months — away from reopening, many in the Beijing film industry have begun to focus on government bailouts as the only means of keeping their businesses afloat.
In 2019, during the 20-day period starting on the eve of Chinese New Year, ticket revenue totaled RMB 10.6 billion ($1.52 billion). During the comparable period this year (Jan. 24-Feb. 12), sales have amounted to just $3.9 million.
That's big drop off.
One informal proposal gaining traction among local industry players calls for the government to extend China's Labor Day holiday on May 1 by several days, creating a longer holiday release window to serve as a new launch pad for the delayed Chinese New Year tentpoles — assuming, that is, that the health crisis has abated by then
Mulan is fucked and BW might be too if that extended holiday happens and locks out foreign films.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
nthing this forever. What a delight that wound up being

Also, just gonna point it out: I've found myself agreeing with yall more since the Brie avs. Obviously no coincidence, A+, best thing to happen, keep them forever
Crawl is my 2019 film to keep pimping hard. I expected dog shit from it but man what a ride. It knows exactly what it is and does it with zero bullshit. No extra plot arcs, etc. Just straight forward monster horror shit and under 90 min. Just a wild fucking ride to take.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Mulan is fucked and BW might be too if that extended holiday happens and locks out foreign films.

I dunno. BW will at least have a $180-$200+ Domestic floor as per usual for Marvel + Europe.

I don't think it's in exact same situation as Mulan, which they were planning on leaning on China for.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Weekend Box Office Forecast (Updated): Sonic the Hedgehog Tracking for Possible Breakout; Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island & The Photograph Aim to Leverage Double-Holiday Frame - Boxoffice

Hollywood is hoping for a major boost to the market with two major moviegoing holidays on deck this weekend: Valentine's Day on Friday, followed by Presidents Day on Monday.
Let's go Sonic

-53% is a soft drop for BOP, but that won't be much consolation after its tragic OW
tenor.gif

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
For the next two weekends, the only movie that could potentially compete with Sonic for families is Call of the Wild (lol), so I wouldn't be shocked if it had pretty soft drops.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Call of the Wild is going to be fairly good considering it's Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch, How to Train Your Dragon) Live Action Directorial Debut. But people seemed turned away by the CGI Dog in it.

Ironic considering it's competition is Sonic which also had CGI woes.

Also, Call of the Wild I guess is the first Disney Film of the year isn't it? If I'm doing a chart for their 2020 progress (Just to compare, I don't think the 10 Billion will be met this time) I better get the template created for it this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.