• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You could probably make a pretty dark horror movie with the basic premise.
They kinda of did
81Mf6%2BSf6ML.jpg
Space colonists land on a planet that infect people with a spore that makes men's thoughts be telepathically broadcast to everyone in a certain range. Some handle it well others don't like a village where all the women disappeared.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I see Cold Pursuit is enjoying the fruits of Liam Neeson's recent stellar publicity.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm happy that Spider-Verse is still hanging in there. All in all, it looks like it made a pretty solid haul.
Figure it ends it at around $190 million domestic.

And a >400mil world wide once it opens in Japan next month. All and all, definitely some great legs on it despite it's modest opening.

Wonder if we'll see a Lego movie 3. 50% drop from the first one. Oof.

There was definitely a "Strike while the iron was hot" issue with how long it took for the sequel to come out. In that 5 year gap you had two spin-offs so i can see the freshness of the appeal wearing off over time.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much of a effect Neeson's comments had to be honest, dude has been trending toward the premiereing in the Walmart dvd bin and Directv for a while. He should sing a netflix contract why they still burning money

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly feels like they didn't market lego movie 2 as well. I'm also hesitant to take my kids after how bored they were watching lego batman. That movie felt too dumb for adults but way too wordy and complicated for young kids.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What Men Want is going to drop hard though I'm surprised it did as well as it did considering how dreadfully unfunny it looked. Lego is getting over saturated and way too long between this and the first one.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly feels like they didn't market lego movie 2 as well. I'm also hesitant to take my kids after how bored they were watching lego batman. That movie felt too dumb for adults but way too wordy and complicated for young kids.

The message here is way more directed at kids, especially siblings, so it may be worthwhile. Also the movie's basically a musical and there's dinosaurs with laser guns in it so it's pretty hard to get bored.

Allstar

Feb 9, 2019
Alita looks like the kind of movie that has some straight, white, male critics really mad

Dec 9, 2017
Sarcasm aside, this opening is looking quite OK, I looked at WarCraft (which significantly outperformed the films you listed) international haul by country, and it seems that aside from China (which we don't know yet), most of the Asian countries that are opened for Alita indicated much stronger performance than WarCraft.
Seems like a good start. Will need to see how it holds though. Hopefully it comes in higher than tracking in the US.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget that polar vortex. Can't blame people for staying home instead and watching Netflix with recent weather.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumping LEGO Movie 2 in the dead of winter with a half-assed marketing effort was a crazy-bad decision. No families are going to brave foul weather for this film.

Maybe the studio lost faith after Ninjago didn't do so hot.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Dumping LEGO Movie 2 in the dead of winter with a half-assed marketing effort was a crazy-bad decision. No families are going to brave foul weather for this film.

Maybe the studio lost faith after Ninjago didn't do so hot.
There was a lot of marketing and this is the same release window as the first.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I personally do think alita is gonna do a bit better than the expectations and maybe fall in the 30-40m range

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Ninjago I think killed it.

No one gave a fuck about it.

Lego 2 I think could recover however Dragon 3 could go in for the kill but that too has a long sequel gap and will kids even remember the bridge series it had?

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Lego2 was fantastic,my 6 year old loved it.

Cold Pursuit was very odd, more of a black comedy than a revenge action film as seen in the trailer. Whatever Swedish/Norwegian film/show it is based on is probably far better. Props for the significant native American aspect though, the wife loved that stuff. I also appreciate how Liam is firmly in the Schwarzeneggar/Connery realm of "so I have an accent, i'm gonna have American siblings and never explain it" school of acting :)

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad about Lego Movie 2. It was great.

I think How to train your Dragon is going to bomb too sadly.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Musicals generally have a ceiling around 150-160M, and never really get higher than that. I don't know why everyone kept insisting that Mary Poppins was a bomb.

Because it's a Disney movie and people think every Disney movie is destined to do gangbusters at the box office even though their non-MCU/Pixar content has been flop city lately.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna do an international roundup, but Screendaily were late so I took a look at Deadline and well I'm now in a hospital for an aneurysm.
Lego blocked together $18.1M in 63 markets, including majors the UK, Brazil and Spain. Somewhat surprisingly, Lego is not as well-known a brand overseas, but has certainly lifted its profile through the four movies WB has released in the past few years.
Here is a totally unrelated image:
LJX4NCx.png

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They kinda of did
Space colonists land on a planet that infect people with a spore that makes men's thoughts be telepathically broadcast to everyone in a certain range. Some handle it well others don't like a village where all the women disappeared.
Holy shit. Mads Mikkelsen, Daisy Riddley, Tom Holland. That will draw eyes

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Still expecting Happy Death Day 2U to eat Alita's lunch.

Finding it hard to find showings of Happy Death Day 2U locally actually. The wife and I want to go for V-day to see it, but theaters are packing in that 'Isn't it Romantic' movie and even Alita. It's like some chains think the movie is not gonna do well on V-day? Cause it's odd that I can't buy tix to the movie at some of our premium chains.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I haven't been to the movies all year. Nothing has really grabbed me and I have also been catching up on shit I missed last year. This thread did remind me to pick up my Dolby tickets to Alita though. I don't have high hopes for it doing well commercially but Robert Rodriguez handling Cameron's baby can't end up too too bad quality wise (I hope).

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible Alita could open at $40 million. Ghost in the Shell opened at $18 million while BR 2049 opened at $32 million, and I feel like attaching James Cameron's name to this might pull in a little more. Plus, I feel like it's been marketed a lot more than those two similar films.

As for Lego Movie, I think those films are just played out right now. Ninjago wasn't any good, and Lego Batman should've been a lot better than it was.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just coming back from Lego2 and I thought it was agressively mediocre... aside from a few chuckles here and there.

Even my kids had a bit of a muted reception compared to the first one, and my eldest just hate the "get into your head" song.
Theater was pretty empty for a Sunday morning showing, and relatively few kids, which surprised me.

I think Dragon 3 will do way better tbh.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Finding it hard to find showings of Happy Death Day 2U locally actually. The wife and I want to go for V-day to see it, but theaters are packing in that 'Isn't it Romantic' movie and even Alita. It's like some chains think the movie is not gonna do well on V-day? Cause it's odd that I can't buy tix to the movie at some of our premium chains.
They moved up a day because of the Stoneman anniversary.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the continued awards success of Enter the Spider-Verse could just barely carry it over the $200 million mark domestic. Maybe the Academy voters will have their heads out of their asses when it comes around for the Best Animated Feature voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.