• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People need to stop bringing up Logan in these discussions. It was its own thing and shouldn't be compared to what the average comic book blockbuster is going for.

E - to clarify, I think Logan equal parts transcended/Subverted the genre and was a passion project that succeeded; it just happened to have super heroes.

Black Panther is equally divorced from the typical superhero blockbuster as LOGAN, which at its core was another redemption story. Pretending otherwise is kind of dumb, honestly.

I don't think either went as far as The Dark Knight.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther is equally divorced from the typical superhero blockbuster as LOGAN, which at its core was another redemption story. Pretending otherwise is kind of dumb, honestly.

I don't think either went as far as The Dark Knight.

Eh, Logan had a very unusual screenplay for a comic book adaptation where character being a superhero wasn't the main focus of the story. It also benefits from the fairly weak adapted screenplay pool this year.

Black Panther is well, Marvel. It's a good movie. It extends MCU's target audience and is commendable for it. It's a huge win for minority representation and unless executives keep on acting dumb it will be a godsend for African American actors. It's hard not to see the film's positive aspects, but Oscar talk is crazy.

E: I really didn't see Logan as a redemption story, it's far more concerned with responsibility and main cast's marginalization and struggle for survival. Everything around Xavier is really well executed.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Black Panther is equally divorced from the typical superhero blockbuster as LOGAN

Nope. Disingenues at best, false narrative at worst.

Logan went Rated R, Logan went under 100mil production, Logan was fully a passion project by it's principles (Jackman, Stewart, Mangold).

I get it, Black Panther must be all things to all people and stand on every peak, but comparisons to a bleak R-rated swan song like Logan are completely off base and, frankly a bit pathetically desperate.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
$1B for Black Panther is pretty much locked at this point

480M+ dom
520M+ overseas

I think $1.08B-$1.13B totals

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero actual evidence to back it up, but I noticed that Moon Knight keeps being shown in some MCU type products. What are the odds they give him a movie?

Probably slim now that the Fox deal is soon to close...

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero actual evidence to back it up, but I noticed that Moon Knight keeps being shown in some MCU type products. What are the odds they give him a movie?

Probably slim now that the Fox deal is soon to close...
Higher chance of him getting a Netflix show.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
The goal posts are moving.
tenor.gif

Nobody cares about Cyborg when he's not a team that is living in a T in Jump City with 4 friends/ teammates on a TV show that aired from 2003-06.
I like Cyborg just not by himself.
giphy.gif

tumblr_mzh5b1QICU1rq49qyo1_250.gif

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me far from the "bubble bursting", that Marvel as a brand is only getting bigger, particularly now that they're diversifying a little.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me far from the "bubble bursting", that Marvel as a brand is only getting bigger, particularly now that they're diversifying a little.

That would be accurate. Phase 3 has significantly outgrossed every other Marvel phase. So as of now its still growing not shrinking. All we need now is for Infinity War to topple AoU and the original Avengers and Phase 3 will be nothing short of an astounding success.

I honestly think everything is locked in good to go all the way through Avengers 4. After that though, I wonder what the overall direction will look like and how they will keep up interest. I think they will btw, its just without the overall structure in place that they've had since Avengers 1 I'm curious to see how they tackle it.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's more impressive - BP doing a billion or Jumanji doing a billion?
Jumanji. I know I wasn't alone in thinking, back in November, that Jumanji was going to really struggle to reach even half that amount. Black Panther was always going to do good numbers, especially looking at how the 3 2017 MCU films fared.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jumanji and Black Panther are both equally impressive for different reasons.

Black Panther because that opening no one on Earth expected. For it to have a bigger opening weekend than Age of Ultron, if you were trying to sell that even 2 months ago people would have laughed in your face.

Jumanji, well because that movie easily could have been a colossal flop if everything wasn't handled as well as it was. The trailers were great, the movie itself is solid fun, and the legs have been astounding. Still though before release there was no indication it would be as big as it was

So its really like just pick whichever one you want because you can't go wrong.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Phase 4 will be interesting, because Phase 1 thru 3 have been built up on each other. Phase 1 was putting in the pieces with some alright to bad movies but RDJ saving the day. Phase 2 was all solid to great flicks outside of Thor 2, while it AoU was a let down. Phase 3 has basically been Curry hitting threes all day and we're coming to the conclusion of 10+ years and 20 films. So will they go with smaller Phase arcs or attempt to build another big multiple phase cycle right off the bat? The other big question is, will anyone be stepping down or not. The two biggest losses would be Evans or RDJ.

After Phase 3 is over though, that experiment is done. They'll still have the universe, but the big villain they've been hyping up for a decade is done with. Do they want to recycle it with another big villain or move on to something new.

The positive side to this is, they can introduce Xmen and other Fox properties, which I still think it will have a small bit in A4 and they'll dedicate the next phase to something like that. Let's Fox finish out their current round of films while MCU has its own thing till 2020.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phase 4 will be interesting, because Phase 1 thru 3 have been built up on each other. Phase 1 was putting in the pieces with some alright to bad movies but RDJ saving the day. Phase 2 was all solid to great flicks outside of Thor 2, while it AoU was a let down. Phase 3 has basically been Curry hitting threes all day and we're coming to the conclusion of 10+ years and 20 films. So will they go with smaller Phase arcs or attempt to build another big multiple phase cycle right off the bat? The other big question is, will anyone be stepping down or not. The two biggest losses would be Evans or RDJ.

After Phase 3 is over though, that experiment is done. They'll still have the universe, but the big villain they've been hyping up for a decade is done with. Do they want to recycle it with another big villain or move on to something new.

The positive side to this is, they can introduce Xmen and other Fox properties, which I still think it will have a small bit in A4 and they'll dedicate the next phase to something like that. Let's Fox finish out their current round of films while MCU has its own thing till 2020.

I think they said they are doing away with the concept of Phases, and I wonder if getting rid of the Avengers for a while will be part of that. Post Phase 3 will probably be mostly solo films with team ups (Like Civil War, Thor Ragnarok, etc.) and not a central threat. I think that's the way they might go for a few years.

Then when they decide to bring back the Avengers, if they really get all the Fox rights which looks like its happening, go with Dr DOOM. They could easily set him up as the "next Thanos" in terms of threat level.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question, does BP's success, and specifically how awesome the women of the film were, does Marvel replace Stark after infinity war with Riri? I think now is the perfect time.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
That talk never ends.

Comic book films going the way of the Western.

Over time, they are bound too. Western films were popular for like 30 - 40 years before they had a pretty big decline in the 70s. So I could see in the traditional comic book sense, they'll be replaced with something else. But ever since, people will still come out for a Western in numbers and Westerns have evolved. The Revanent is a Western, Django is. Something like Bone Tomahawk is a goddamn horror movie for the most part. Comics have or will do the same. I never knew Blade was a comic book film till years after.

Status
Not open for further replies.