• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

vRiwAGw.png

O4eOfyG.png

cnLpxP1.png

JtnEWXU.png

VzL398O.png

'Pacific Rim: Uprising' Creates More Waves Abroad Than Stateside's $28M; 'Black Panther' Sets Marvel Record

Universal's Pacific Rim Uprising is coming in a little higher, but not so spectacular, than originally forecasted with a $28M opening weekend after a $10.7M Saturday that was +3% over Friday's $10.4M. Overseas, the Steven S. DeKnight-directed sequel earned an estimated $122.5M with 54% of that coming from China.

Disney's Black Panther with a $16.7M sixth weekend and running total of $630.9M is the best-ever for Marvel besting Avengers ($623M), and the fifth highest-grossing movie of all-time after Force Awakens ($936.6M), Avatar ($760.5M), Titanic ($659.3M), and Jurassic World ($652.2M).

all other wide entries went to the dogs (except Isle of Dogs) with Paramount/MGM's Sherlock Gnomes not dazzling with an estimated $10.6M start, and three indie pics just coming up shorting: Sony Affirm's Paul, Apostle of Christ ($5M) Global Road's Midnight Sun (estimated $4.1M), and Bleecker Street/Fingerprint's Steven Soderbergh's horror title Unsane at $3.8M. In an era when it's debated what types of movies should be released theatrically, and what types of movies should go straight to streaming, such results only makes the case for OTT acquiring certain indie pics stronger (note many pics' deals are tied to a theatrical release, which then kick-in certain downstream revenues). It's a true head-scratcher for filmmakers and distributors of low-budget fare, and what will resonate. Blumhouse has a keen sense of this (they saw their latest Amityville Horror to OTT, and know when a Happy Death Day or even a Get Out can fare well), and Paramount protected their bottom line on The Cloverfield Paradox by distributing it through Netflix. Because at the same time, you've got Roadside Attractions burying Sony Affirm this weekend with their second weekend of I Can Only Imagine with an estimated $13.8M, -19% for a third place take and a $38.3M running total. I Can Only Imagine was made for $7M before P&A, and Paul for $5M.

On the opposite end of indie, showing how things can roar on the specialty side, is Fox Searchlight which can claim the highest opening screen average of 2018 to date with Isle of Dogs' $58K or $1.57M at 27 locations, which Wes Anderson can claim is his best opening weekend of all-time (his titles always start off in limited release).

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
First weekend Jumanji makes less than a million (also the first 45+% drop), then again Jumanji has been adjusted upwards before.
Paul, Apostle opened quite soft which probably is down to both it not being very well received and being faced with a much more popular film targeting the same market. Which suggests that there is a fairly hard limit on how big the market for Christian themed films are. Interestingly it still opened well ahead of Pure Flix's Samson, so the theory that it is Pure Flix in particular rather than Christian themed films in general that is faltering still holds up quite well.
Isle of Dogs opened very solidly. Hopefully it expands well, but there hasn't been a successful stop motion film since Coraline (and calling it a success is arguable)
Tomb Raider is getting saved by the international market, but it's probably not doing quite well enough that a sequel is guaranteed
Thoroughbreds drank some drain cleaner. It nosedived (-67%) and lost four fifths of its theatres.
Also Gnomeo and Juliet missed its tracking by quite a bit, Paramount is not getting the hit they need anytime soon.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It's not a good opening for Uprising but it's higher than I expected.
The Chinese numbers are okay apparently (slightly higher than the first one I think) but the legs might not be there.
I don't see a third one happening. Oh well. Just put Boyega and Gypsy Danger in Godzilla vs Gamera: Destroy All Monsters and it'll be all good.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific Rim 2 was awful. Boyega is going to end up stalking Taraji P Henson in a Tyler Perry production if he isn't careful with his career choices.

Can't wait for Isle of Dogs to start playing in the area here on Tuesday, but the fact that the theater running it on two of its four screens means they're expecting some serious business and I'm sure lines will be clear out to the parking lot. Those will be fun to fight through!

EDIT: LO f'n L at the Easter egg in the OP.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
You guys think BP can leg it out to top Titanic!? I will be very pleased if it does.

I'm just afraid it would need more time than it will get with Infinity War right around the corner.

Nah. It will be over Titanic 2 weeks from now. This coming week is going to have a lot of Spring breaks, and we are heading into long weekend.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Boyega is gonna have to start making some smarter choices pronto.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pr2 bombed. Gdt should've left the franchise in better hands. No more sequels unfortunately

He should try doing more drama.

Anybody know if he was any good in Detrot?
Everyone was great in Detroit. The problem was that's the kind of film that is really tough to love by design, as the violence is just so unflinching and the nerves it touches on are so exposed and raw. After watching it, I fully understood why it was so insane to release that as wide as they did.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I hate Star Wars but I'll carry their stars to box office success

First Orient Express, NOT THE UPRISING

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has Star Wars ever been that beneficial for most of the stars that were made by it? Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver were already known quantities before they were cast, but it doesn't seem like the public cares much for either Boyega or Daisy Ridley.
I think Ewan Mcgregor and Natalie Portman got a pretty big boost in popularity thanks to the prequels.

Daisy's already getting a good deal of work.

But Boyega seems like the only guy in this current SW phase that hasn't benefited as much post TFA.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
If we are talking about box office, Ridley hasn't picked a flop yet

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=daisyridley.htm

The Ophelia movie will probably be the first (but it's a little movie so it doesn't really count), and then you have Chaos Walking to worry about.

I think Ewan Mcgregor and Natalie Portman got a pretty big boost in popularity thanks to the prequels.

But Boyega seems like the only guy in this current SW phase that hasn't benefited as much post TFA.

This is the benefit. Boyega doesn't get to lead this movie if the only major things on his resume are Attack the Block and Detroit.

They got a boost, sure, but they were already well on their way up with or without Star Wars. That's why I was particular with those qualifications, since the sequel trilogy has cast a fair few more "names" in them for the younger roles than we've seen in the past films.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

But Boyega seems like the only guy in this current SW phase that hasn't benefited as much post TFA,
Huh

I think boyega has gotten the biggest boost. Maybe it was different in the UK but he was a complete unknown in the US.

And since star wars he has been in a film directed by an Oscar winning director and in a sequel to a very successful summer blockbuster.

Natalie Portman was very popular before starting wars. I think she's even said that sw HURT her career.

Ridley hasn't done much. Not a big draw I'd guess

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Well it doesn't look like star wars has really helped her career. An ensemble piece she was barely in and a non Disney animated film.

Take into account lead times for making films, and the fact that half of her schedule is tied up making or promoting Star Wars films through 2019. We will know better in the 2020s.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Take into account lead times for making films, and the fact that half of her schedule is tied up making or promoting Star Wars films through 2019. We will know better in the 2020s.

I was going to say this...it's only been a little over 2 years since TFA, so way too soon to see how much it'll help their careers, etc.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say this...it's only been a little over 2 years since TFA, so way too soon to see how much it'll help their careers, etc.
Yeah, now that I think of it, it's kind of hard to say considering both Boyega and Ridley just got into the front carts of the mainstream Hollywood train. I think post Episode IX will be a better gauge.

Not to mention Ridley slipped a while ago that she might retire playing Rey right after the IX. She already double backed and clarified that statement though, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.