• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Wkd Box Office - 3•8-10•19 - Slayven's nightmare becomes reality, as audiences spend $153M domestic and $455M worldwide on Carol Danvers' debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Huh....Captive State got a favourable review from IGN, even calling it director's best --- and he directed Rise Of the Planet of the Apes.

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to breathe easily, wait for the third weekend estimates to come in on the Saturday.
I was just curious how much we can pull from the numbers we have so far, honestly I'm more than happy with how it's done already and I have a feeling Disney is too. Obviously I'd love it to have good legs though!

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at those weekend estimates, Five Feet Apart won't only *not* bomb, it'll be a modest success compared to its budget.

Also looking at those numbers, Captive State may still bomb relative to its budget, low as it is.

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder Park sounds like a joy behind the scenes.
  • $100M budget for a movie that appears to be a backdoor pilot for a future tv show first, movie second.
  • Original director fired for sexual misconduct. Three others (one with no experience in animation) took over, but no one will be credited as director. This may be a first.
  • Jeffrey Tambor originally had a part but was replaced with Max from Armageddon. In the UK the role is voiced by former Doctor Tom Baker.
The reason it’s not getting any director credited is that even though the original director was fired, he had directed the majority of the film by the time he was let go. Even though others were brought in to finish the job, they weren’t able to film enough to take the directing credit away from the previous director. Hence the decision to list no director at all. Films with no credited directors reportedly has happened before; but it is a rarity in the industry nonetheless.

Needless to say, I don’t think that TV show is happening at all (or get further than one season if they still produce it, anyway). It’s going to be another Paraflop Pictures release and another misfire from their animation division after gracing the world with Monster Trucks from early 2017.

EDIT: And it’s another misfire as well for Ilion Animation Studios as well in the Hollywood industry, they were responsible for Planet 51 from ten years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018
Endgame will break OW domestic, Int and WW.
Endgame will become the second highest overall gross behind Avatar.
Endgame will miss Star Wars domestic total.

I'll judge Captain Marvel after the second weekend, but the film could end up with very bad legs.
Maybe an end of life boost during Endgame release will happen.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

I'll judge Captain Marvel after the second weekend, but the film could end up with very bad legs.
Infinity War’s worldwide total barely beat Avatar’s international gross.
And Endgame would need a $100m increase worldwide to go past Titanic.
Could it do it? Maybe. But I wouldn’t bet on it.
I do think the OW number though. The question is by how much. And can it beat Force Awakens Thursday preview numbers.

Nov 21, 2018
???What gives you any indication of that???
The DoD drops and theater average.
But so far everything is just very early indicators. Need to wait for second weekend numbers.

Infinity War’s worldwide total barely beat Avatar’s international gross.
And Endgame would need a $100m increase worldwide to go past Titanic.
Could it do it? Maybe. But I wouldn’t bet on it.
I do think the OW number though. The question is by how much. And can it beat Force Awakens Thursday preview numbers.
For me Endgame has anything going for it.
People who want to see Captain Marvel in Avengers.
People who want to know how IW continues.

Those who didn't want to watch Captain Marvel because of the "not made for you" controversy would still watch this movie.
People who went to Marvel because they finally feel represented would watch the Avengers now.
China is still growing and this movie comes after a hugely successful IW and a good Captain Marvel there.

Oct 27, 2017
I think CM will have legs just for the lack of competition and the people who weren't excited but feel they should get around to it before Endgame.

To clarify, it's not that it doesn't have excitement around it-- but it has those two additional factors to boost if further.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The DoD drops and theater average.
But so far everything is just very early indicators. Need to wait for second weekend numbers.
All the numbers we got over the week has shown good to great legs for CM. It seems like you want the movie to do bad and are ignoring anything that says otherwise.

Dec 1, 2017

Yeah, Endgame will be gigantic after the James Gunn goodwill stunt Disney pulled. Apparently he was already hired few months ago. They just wanted to boost their public image just before Endgame. People love Gunn, Endgame's going to break things.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Endgame will be gigantic after the James Gunn goodwill stunt Disney pulled. Apparently he was already hired few months ago. They just wanted to boost their public image just before Endgame. People love Gunn, Endgame's going to break things.
The actual reason seems to be he was about to start the press tour for Brightburn and they wanted to get it out before that, but the goodwill from the firing certainly alleviates some people who planned on "boycotting" I suppose.

Nov 21, 2018
Pardon me, but will have Gunn anything to do with Endgame?

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Wonder Park sounds like a joy behind the scenes.
  • $100M budget for a movie that appears to be a backdoor pilot for a future tv show first, movie second.
  • Original director fired for sexual misconduct. Three others (one with no experience in animation) took over, but no one will be credited as director. This may be a first.
  • Jeffrey Tambor originally had a part but was replaced with Max from Armageddon. In the UK the role is voiced by former Doctor Tom Baker.
Top Gun: Maverick can’t come soon enough for Paramount.

Dec 10, 2017
There were a few people saying that they wouldn't see anything Marvel again after Gunn got fired.

Granted, CM was making a billion with or without them, so Endgame probably isn't going to be affected much.

Oct 27, 2017
Internet community hyperbole almost never ever translates into box office money.

And before you say Solo, there were a dozen other things wrong with that movie's release strategy.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Gunn was involved in writing and helping with GOTG scene in IW. Considering IW and Endgame was shot back to back, safe to say he's involved here too.
And the firing happen after Endgame wrapped filming but before re-shoots.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think CM will have legs just for the lack of competition and the people who weren't excited but feel they should get around to it before Endgame.

To clarify, it's not that it doesn't have excitement around it-- but it has those two additional factors to boost if further.
Pretty bad concern trolling there bud

Looks like CM beasting to a 19+ million Friday and 72+ million weekend to an amazing sub 55% drop.
If this holds I wonder if Cpt. Marvel will break a billy... kwis input?

ody

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, Zach right? Who kept having the avatar with him wearing the infinity gaunlet anyway?

Is he still on here or did he leave?
self requested ban because of the "toxicity" on this site
this was almost immediately after smearing shit on the walls and calling out members for their toxicity for defending themselves from his garbage

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
self requested ban because of the "toxicity" on this site
this was almost immediately after smearing shit on the walls and calling out members for their toxicity for defending themselves from his garbage
Eh. He did bring a good amount of it on himself, but some of the dog piling was unwarranted. The whole situation was messy.

Oct 27, 2017
Box Office: ‘Shazam’ Eyes $40 Million-Plus Opening Weekend

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-o...ce-opening-weekend-early-tracking-1203162051/
Warner Bros.’ “Shazam” could grow to as much as $40 million in ticket sales when it hits North American theaters on April 5, early tracking suggests.
Early tracking, however this part:

“Shazam” comes on the heels of “Aquaman,” the studio’s aquatic adventure that rocked the box office with a massive $1.14 billion worldwide. “Shazam” doesn’t need to reach those heights to become a hit. It carries a $80 million production budget, before accounting for marketing and distribution, less than half of what it cost to make “Aquaman.”
The only part they overdo the budget was in their 1 million for costumes :v

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I had zero industry awareness in 2009, so I have no idea if this falls in line with what I've said or the opposite of what I've said lol

I just know Pilgrim fell on its ass in the end
I was more referencing how people on the old board were freaking out about the movie and how it was going to be this monster hit. Then it came and went like a fart in the wind. I don't know if that was what your original post was about or if I misinterpreted. If I did, apologies.

Oct 27, 2017
I was more referencing how people on the old board were freaking out about the movie and how it was going to be this monster hit. Then it came and went like a fart in the wind. I don't know if that was what your original post was about or if I misinterpreted. If I did, apologies.
What did most people there at those times thought about Michael Cera as the lead?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
See, two of the responses were jokes. There is no need to get so mean and serious.
I feel attacked.

What did most people there at those times thought about Michael Cera as the lead?
Most didnt like it.
But I am in the weird minority that really likes the movie but can't fucking stand the comic book.

Status
Not open for further replies.