• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
uWw6Jt2.png

Higher, further, faster, baby!

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how a proper Hellboy 3 would have done in today's climate? The audience for comic book movies has really grown since 2008.
Hellboy 1 did not even make $60M the same year (and the same studio) got Spider-Man 2 to $373M.
Hellboy 2 did $75M the same year The Dark Knight made $533M, and the first Iron Man clocked in over $300M.

Lack of an audience wanting/watching comic book films was never the problem.
Apparently, officially Wonder Park has no director credited? lol
Sexual harassment scandal. Not sure how they got the DGA to not care, but maybe the DGA cares as much about animated films as The Academy does.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hellboy 1 did not even make $60M the same year (and the same studio) got Spider-Man 2 to $373M.
Hellboy 2 did $75M the same year The Dark Knight made $533M, and the first Iron Man clocked in over $300M.

Still, you have to admit it's a different world now and it's a bit unfair to compare Spider-Man and Batman to Hellboy.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States

The Hellboy movies had budgets of $66M and $85M respectively, far lower than any of the films you compared against.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Still, you have to admit it's a different world now and it's a bit unfair to compare Spider-Man and Batman to Hellboy.
I'm not saying the IP is as strong as Spidey or Bats, which is kinda the point. It's an IP the audience doesn't care about for whatever reason (maybe it's the non-human lead, maybe it's puritanical leftovers fearing something with "hell" in the title, maybe dudes feel like their dicks are small compared to Hellboy, I don't know). I don't think a Hellboy 3 would do massively better, I'm not even sure how much better the og Hellboy would do even if it was released on the back of GDT's Oscar win.
The Hellboy movies had budgets of $66M and $85M respectively, far lower than any of the films you compared against.
Sure, again, not the point. Which was that there definitely was an audience for comic book films both in 2004 and 2008, and I don't consider it the main reason for the films flopping.
The DGA does not cover animated directors, similar to how the WGA doesn't cover animation writing.
Well, that sounds about right considering how America treats animation... looks at the fate of Ruben Brandt, Collector... you absolute bastards.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
I'm not saying the IP is as strong as Spidey or Bats, which is kinda the point. It's an IP the audience doesn't care about for whatever reason (maybe it's the non-human lead, maybe it's puritanical leftovers fearing something with "hell" in the title, maybe dudes feel like their dicks are small compared to Hellboy, I don't know). I don't think a Hellboy 3 would do massively better, I'm not even sure how much better the og Hellboy would do even if it was released on the back of GDT's Oscar win.

Sure, again, not the point. Which was that there definitely was an audience for comic book films both in 2004 and 2008, and I don't consider it the main reason for the films flopping.

Well, that sounds about right considering how America treats animation... looks at the fate of Ruben Brandt, Collector... you absolute bastards.
Neither Hellboy movie flopped, though; the first one was successful enough critically and financially to get a sequel, and the second one was successful enough critically and financially that it could have had another sequel but the pieces and the players never lined up. The worst thing you could say about Golden Army's box office is that it released a week before The Dark Knight which eradicated any chance of it having legs.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Hellboy movie flopped, though; the first one was successful enough critically and financially to get a sequel, and the second one was successful enough critically and financially that it could have had another sequel but the pieces and the players never lined up. The worst thing you could say about Golden Army's box office is that it released a week before The Dark Knight which eradicated any chance of it having legs.
The first Hellboy didn't even make $100M worldwide on a $66M budget. That's a flop. Sony bailed on the franchise.
Universal's turn garnered $160M worldwide on an $85M budget. Which sure, you can argue is a disappointment rather than a flop but at this point we're arguing semantics and not whether or not the film made money (it didn't). Universal bailed on the franchise.

So now we have Lionsgate and yeah. things are not looking great for it either.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Second only got it after Del Toro hit with Pan's Lab, letting Universal think it would have a bigger push now. Neither made back its dosh in theater. Its a two time loser, they be flops.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Capt. Marvel makes more the Black Panther and becomes the highest grossing Origin film/1st entry will Slayven become a true fan of the Marvel?

Or will he deny the greatness that is Carol?

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel Carol is likely to sneak past Arthur and Steve's last 'solo' movie, but I don't think she'll get past T'Challa. She might get neck and neck with Tony's third movie.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I misunderstood.

Mid-50% hold is really good. Not quite Wonder Woman's 43%, but CM's much bigger OW makes that kind of irrelevant.

Wonder Woman got really lucky because it essentially had the entire summer to clean house. That box office run was a blast to follow.

I'm so happy it showed that a female led cape flick can do huge numbers.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am terrified of the online venom that will come out once Miss Marvel becomes a thing.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Woman got really lucky because it essentially had the entire summer to clean house. That box office run was a blast to follow.

I'm so happy it showed that a female led cape flick can do huge numbers.
It also got lucky that her Competition ended up all being critical disappointments.

Why watch those when you could watch an awesome Wonder Woman film lol

Those were fun threads seeing her kick butt at the box office week after week

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of typing in captin marvel box office on YouTube. Just wow.

Never seen anything quite like the way YouTube specifically latched onto the extreme hatred towards Brie / CM

The hilarious thing though is the box office is crushing, further proving these people are their own very insular group the larger world doesnt agree with

Status
Not open for further replies.