• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

VNnSMnK.png

aYqvNsu.png

OzHGwMM.png

TIDzQFk.png

XKRHrh2.png

'Captain Marvel' Skyrockets To $53M+ Saturday, Kicks Internet Trolls & Flies Toward $153M Opening

Disney is calling the opening weekend of Captain Marvel at $153M, which is the third best debut in March (after Disney's Beauty and the Beast at $174.7M and Warner's Batman v. Superman at $166m) , and the 7th best stateside launch for an MCU title. Out of the top ten openings for March, Disney now owns half of them. Rivals still believe Captain Marvel is much higher, in the $155M-$157M range, so no surprise if she comes in higher. We can finally say from a box office perspective, 2019 has officially begun. Disney has Dumbo opening at the end of the month and some box office analysts (not tracking) believe that Disney live-action pic has the potential to open to $75M.

Captain Marvel's 3-day surpasses the opening weekends of the first two Iron Man films, The Incredible Hulk, the first two Captain America films, all three Thor films, Doctor Strange, both Ant-Man films, both Guardians of the Galaxy films, as well as all Spider-Man films, Venom, Suicide Squad, Man of Steel, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, both Deadpools and all X-Men films.

Captain Marvel's $455M global opening is $105M higher than where Nancy and I saw it, and just above the $150M domestic start we projected.

Captain Marvel played best on the coasts, but was huge all over. Read our previous update how Captain Marvel was Teflon to the internet trolls who griped about Brie Larson's sincere-hearted call for diversity in critics, and how men are the leading demo for the female superhero female, which was not the case with Warner Bros./DC's Wonder Woman. Disney reports that men turned out at 55% to females' 45%, and that latter demo could well grow in next weekend's exits. Disney did tee this off for female audiences with an opening release date on International Women's Day. Much like Black Panther featured a diverse cast and crew on-screen and behind the scenes, such was the case with women on Captain Marvel. There were various tie-ins and support around Women's Day: There was a Spotify album listening party with the pic's composer Pinar Toprak, iHeart radio DJ support, debut of talent interviews with female ESPN host/commentators from the junket at Edwards Air Force Base, and special screenings at Disney as well as female panel on the Burbank lot hosted by Women@Disney—a Business Employee Resource Group at the studio —which featured some of the women of Marvel Studios who brought Captain Marvel to the screen.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Bohemian Rhapsody - $875M
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - $435M
Alita: Battle Angel - $383M
Green Book -$242M
The Lego Movie 2 - $164M
Escape Room - $133M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Great Opening for Captain Marvel!
Hope it ends up even closer to 160m since Disney likes to lowball their estimate for Sunday, probably because they like their "It has overperformed!" on Monday News:)
And inernational is absolutely fantastic! Over 300 wow.

1 Billion should be a lock, even with China expected to get a very low multiplier.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping Alita would be doing better.

Anyone know the worldwide for that?

Also Captain Marvel a month before End Game makes me feel that they want to get as many people in before it's released.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to be wrong, CM was pretty great.

For clarity, I just wasn't sure it'd be huge, I'm no troll who predicted its demise.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Two bad-ass female led action heroes in the top five.

And I wish the media would just ignore internet trolls. They thrive off the attention.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
This weekend really was focused on the film starring an Academy award winning actress who has done some "controversial" political statements in the lead. I am of course talking about Gloria Bell which started out on a very respectable $30K PTA. It also is funny how many of Sebastián Lelio's (A Fantastic Woman, Disobedience) films have come out so close to one another.
Oh, and I guess that film Brie starred in did decently too.

Apollo 11 is keeping the docu trend alive and kicking.

Dear god why do you do this to me America update:
Ruben Brandt, Collector is still extremely dead. Terrible PTA, but SPC are still putting it in theatres. Bless their heart, this is why I love them.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Disney has another $1B franchise on their hands.

In other news, water is also wet!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
#Fail for ultra right-wingers' most recent bogus and short-sighted call for an #AlitaChallenge this weekend (the pic is -55% in weekend 4 with $3.2M in 5th place), which has nothing to do with their love for the James Cameron produced/Robert Rodriguez film, but rather their blase social media attempt to draw business away from Captain Marvel. Not only do they fail to recognize that Alita is a film about a lower-class uprising, sticking it to the man, but also any future money from the movie belongs to Disney. By the way, some of those raising ire over Captain Marvel are the same stone-throwers that got James Gunn fired off Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. The masses clearly aren't swayed by such ugly noise, and point in fact, most Marvel movies (Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther) have a political undertone, which is what makes them smart and great and enables the comic book studio to win over critics, in addition to delivering popcorn adrenaline.
lol

I thought Alita was okay, but man, the shitty reactionary motherfuckers trying to turn this into some kind of crusade just can't help but make asses of themselves.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Congrats to Captain Marvel!

Also, I had no idea Bohemian Rhapsody already out-grossed all DCEU movies worldwide besides Aquaman.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Alita breaks my damn heart. It wasn't perfect but it deserved better. And a lot better than to be dragged into the #AlitaChallenge bullshit.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Alita breaks my damn heart. It wasn't perfect but it deserved better. And a lot better than to be dragged into the #AlitaChallenge bullshit.
Yeah, I enjoyed Alita quite a bit, and now it's associated with regressive bullshit.

Not surprised the anime manga movie attracted the worst scum of the internet. At the very least it's a step up from when these dipshits were caping for the fucking Snyder-era DCEU films.
Wait, Slayven is one of the radical anti-Marvel, anti-feminist haters? Wtf!?

No, he just hates Carol specifically, thinks she's basically a "nothing" character.

Status
Not open for further replies.