• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The last teaser was so negatively received that if this new trailer doesn't knock it out of the park I expect this to be another Mary Poppins styled flop, despite Aladdin still being fondly regarded.
Nah it won't flop like that. For starters, those who were kids when the animated film came out are in their late 20s and early 30s, and many of them have their own kids that they will take to go see it. Mary Poppins is so old, the parents of many of the people who were kids when Aladdin released, weren't even born yet.

Now how much of a success it will be, may be be impacted by how well it's reviewed. If it's critically panned, it will be interesting to see if the Disney dream machine can will Guy Ritchie trash to box office gold. Then again the reverse has happened in the last few years; critically successful live action Disney films flopping at the box office (Pete's Dragon and the BFG). But neither one had the name recognition as the animated Aladdin has.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Nah it won't flop like that. For starters, those who were kids when the animated film came out are in their late 20s and early 30s, and many of them have their own kids that they will take to go see it. Mary Poppins is so old, the parents of many of the people who were kids when Aladdin released, weren't even born yet.

Now how much of a success it will be, may be be impacted by how well it's reviewed. If it's critically panned, it will be interesting to see if the Disney dream machine can will Guy Ritchie trash to box office gold. Then again the reverse has happened in the last few years; critically successful live action Disney films flopping at the box office (Pete's Dragon and the BFG). But neither one had the name recognition as the animated Aladdin has.
Remember that Beauty and the Beast had a tepid critical reception but made $1b anyway.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you should qualify your asinine accusations or be banned yourself.

Do you want to see the blatant cheerleading I've done for Black Panther in the past? My outright love of that film? Or the fact the majority of posts I make in comics hangout has been to defend Carol Danvers (and proclaim my excitement for her film while, excitedly, talking about what they ought do in translating her to the big screen?) in the comics hangout? How about where I say in the StarWars discussions (while also talking about BO indicators and or my issues with the ST) how I prefer the base character of Rey over Luke fucking Skywalker.

How does any of that fit into your half wit narrative? Or the fact that as soon as Sunday's drop came about, I made clear that the reason probably had more to do with the tepid action than other qualities that could be construed as convenient to alt righters?

Pro tip: In the future, if you're going to make such an embarrassing, and transparently desperate 'in group' post and call for the banning of a poster, put in a smidgen more effort into making sure that the person your attempting to tar and feather what you think they are, and if you should even be acting this way in the first place.

And thankyou, but no, I don't accept your apology. Get lost.

You won't get any apology from me I see through your shit in this thread alone. Don't backtrack now.

Both posts highlighting CM were in the tone of someone gleeful to see a movie fail. Hell the one tweet you posted about Monday had nothing to do with CM, but please explain how people are too quick to judge and that's not what you really meant.

Why the tone if you aren't gleeful for the drops, hmm? Serious question, I go based off what I see recent and recently you've been all about those CM drops.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how is a movie starring a black man, an Egyptian, a Tunisian, and a half Indian/British woman white washed? If anything if Aladdin fails it will be said because its stars aren't "Hollywood enough" aka code for "shoulda put in Scarlett Johansson!"

Weird hot take to see against Aladdin, considering a lot of reactions from the new trailer, people seem to think it resembles a Bollywood film

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10.9 for Monday is a steeper drop the Hunger games on its first Monday which was also a March release while school was in session. Also way under BvS first Monday even with a bigger Sunday. Not seeing how that is a super impressive Monday. Seems bad to me.

'HEy GuYs We FoUnD aNoThEr One'

CM is performing better than every Marvel origin films released in that market - that's quite a feat. However the film not maintaining any momentum there is because honestly, CM isn't that good to begin with. Bumblebee isn't big on spectacle either but managed to have a multiple of 3.

Side note, Green Book is having a stellar run in China and might reach domestic cume there. That's outstanding.

Honestly it could surpass it.

Last edited:

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
10.9 for Monday is a steeper drop the Hunger games on its first Monday which was also a March release while school was in session. Also way under BvS first Monday even with a bigger Sunday. Not seeing how that is a super impressive Monday. Seems bad to me.

3rd highest in March behind BVS and Beauty and the Beast. I'll be curious to see legs after week 2 though that's when heavy hitters start coming out

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Beauty and the Beast had a tepid critical reception but made $1b anyway.
Still, if critics pass on Aladdin, I doubt it's going to equal the 72% RT score Beauty and the Beast got. Equaling that score would make Aladdin one of Ritchie's highest rated films ever. I'm talking about a scenario where Aladdin is certified rotten like King Arthur. Can a Guy Ritchie Aladdin do wonders at the box office if the movie is universally considered trash? I still think it won't flop like Mary Poppins due to how recent and beloved the original is.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
how is a movie starring a black man, an Egyptian, a Tunisian, and a half Indian/British woman white washed? If anything if Aladdin fails it will be said because its stars aren't "Hollywood enough" aka code for "shoulda put in Scarlett Johansson!"
Weird hot take to see against Aladdin, considering a lot of reactions from the new trailer, people seem to think it resembles a Bollywood film

it is just as important to have people of color behind the camera - 50% is a failing grade imo

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You won't get any apology from me I see through your shit in this thread alone. Don't backtrack now.

Both posts highlighting CM were in the tone of someone gleeful to see a movie fail. Hell the one tweet you posted about Monday had nothing to do with CM, but please explain how people are too quick to judge and that's not what you really meant.

Why the tone if you aren't gleeful for the drops, hmm? Serious question, I go based off what I see recent and recently you've been all about those CM drops.

The simple answer is you are delusional and not nearly as smart or insightful as you think you are. I've given you enough to put everything together properly on your own, your failure to be convinced of the obvious isn't my burden.

The most annoying thing about you is your dogged determination to think you're right based off of a minority shred of misinterpreted evidence in the face of more to the contrary that you dismiss out of hand. You know what that's called right?

Confirmation bias.

The genuine presumptive arrogance is what annoys me the most, but I'm done.

Also go look up my posts in the Oscar thread if you want more proof you can ignore. I have no need, nor owe it, to prove anything to such a rabid close minded person because it seems that you're the last person who should be considered as capable of judging others.

And even we're it you were right about 'glee' in CM drops rather than just expressing surprise at its unforeseen drops, guess what, it wouldn't mean anything. You'd still be trying to fit a square peg into a round hole whilst patting yourself on the back.

Last edited:

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is just as important to have people of color behind the camera - 50% is a failing grade imo
That's true and Guy Ritchie has been not hitting on many cylinders in recent attempts

The simple answer is you are delusional and not nearly as smart or insightful as you think you are. I've given you enough to put everything together properly on your own, your failure to be convinced of the obvious isn't my burden.
You even PM'ed me about this. Just answer why you chose that tone to highlight CM drops oh and why you posted a tweet that had nothing to do with said movie once again mocking the drops of the movie

WTF does this reply even mean?
He got called out for his trollish tone and didn't like it is all

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You even PM'ed me about this. Just answer why you chose that tone to highlight CM drops oh and why you posted a tweet that had nothing to do with said movie once again mocking the drops of the movie

He got called out for his trollish tone and didn't like it is all

Man all of this because you don't know what :[ signifies (could it be that it's the best smiley I could think of to signify 'well shit bricks' :[) and I've already answered why I posted greenbook, (there simply was no tweet to link to at the time for CM as Gavin mentioned it on BOT) well as your misunderstanding of tone, as well as the utter futility of the event that you were even right about 'glee'

Edit: and just to be clear the above is not to justify myself to you, I couldn't care less about that, it's to make sure that other people who are worth talking to don't get the wrong impression from you.

In summary this is the last bit of discourse I'm wasting on you, because to even engage with you apparently wasted effort.

Oh and I typically use XD to mean 'DAMN didn't see that coming!' Reguardless of my emotional disposition.

Your accusations are gross and offensive, your insistence on countless purity tests doubly so. You behaviour is cancerous, later.

**added to my (very very small) ignore list**

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Seeya posts China stuff. If the China news for CM is bad, he's going to post it.

This isn't some incel who had to look for the worst possible news for CM and push it-- this is Seeya doing what Seeya does. If CM were blowing to doors off China, he'd post it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Seeya posts China stuff. If the China news for CM is bad, he's going to post it.

This isn't some incel who had to look for the worst possible news for CM and push it-- this is Seeya doing what Seeya does. If CM were blowing to doors off China, he'd post it.
If they didn't feel the need to post "XD" and "HIGHER FURTHER FASTER" sarcastically with all that, I don't think they would be getting as much criticism as they are right now.

It came across kind of petty so I can't blame anyone for thinking that they might have had some sort of agenda against the film.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
There is that weird moment where Alita gets installed in a body that then changes itself to have bigger boobs and her dad analog Christoph Waltz actually comments on that. It's kinda uncomfortable.
The "I'll give you my heart" scene was uncomfortable but intentionally so. Literally the next second Alita calls herself out for being too impulsive and over the top, and Hugo kinda awkward laughs it off.

The Boob growing scene is awkward because her father figure makes specific reference to her age, and not something neutral like "The body is adjusting to fit your image of yourself" or whatever.
I believe you are misremembering the scene.

I believe it was actually his assistant who commented on it. His remark was something like "her body is remaking itself to fit with her preceived self-image making micro adjustments (etc.)" which is just exposition mumbo jumbo explaining why the body is changing, then it's his assistant explains, "I think she is older than you thought, Doc." Or something to that effect.

I didn't even see the transformation as "growing bigger boobs" on first watch because the Beserker body I assumed was more of a "male" frame and there were adjustments in the body that didn't seem to denote gender or age at all like her shins/legs become a slightly different shape. I thought the body was trying to become like her previous body and wouldn't have realized it was supposed to be older until the assistant point out that was what we were supposed to be seeing.

If you took it that way, that could be your interpretation of the scene, but I think you are misremembering who said what and how it was presented because I didn't get any or your interpretation.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they didn't feel the need to post "XD" and "HIGHER FURTHER FASTER" sarcastically with all that, I don't think they would be getting as much criticism as they are right now.

It came across kind of petty so I can't blame anyone for thinking that they might have had some sort of agenda against the film.

Ding ding ding, here is the winner. It has nothing to do with the actual drops or someone posting about the drops it's about the sarcastic/gleeful tone used when discussing the drops. Nothing more, nothing less,. I ventured into post history before making a statement like that thinking maybe it is coincidental, from what I saw it was iffy at best.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
CM is performing better than every Marvel origin films released in that market - that's quite a feat. However the film not maintaining any momentum there is because honestly, CM isn't that good to begin with. Bumblebee isn't big on spectacle either but managed to have a multiple of 3.

Side note, Green Book is having a stellar run in China and might reach domestic cume there. That's outstanding.

Bumblebee was so bad that it made me miss Michael Bay.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I agree and disagree

I mean we post a lot of numbers with snarky comments.

Look at last week's thread and Alita... or... the fact that almost every movie is "If you told me X would do better than Justice League..."

Or... measuring failures on how much of a "Solo" they are.

And Seeya is a regular in this thread, not someone who is appearing from nowhere to gloat.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree and disagree

I mean we post a lot of numbers with snarky comments.

Look at last week's thread and Alita... or... the fact that almost every movie is "If you told me X would do better than Justice League..."

Or... measuring failures on how much of a "Solo" they are.

And Seeya is a regular in this thread, not someone who is appearing from nowhere to gloat.

Appreciated! The issue really isn't there being a misunderstanding, it's how they carried on from that point. Misunderstanding is one thing, calling for bannings and refusing to listen is another. That's why I took such offence, and I seriously doubt that said poster is showing any contrition or reflection right now.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Lol sorry to break it to you but they didn't change her character for the movie. This wasn't a RDJ like reinterpretation of Tony Stark. This is Carol Danvers through and through, it will take you some time to adjust but you'll get there once you stop taking YouTube vids at face value and actually read any of her comics. Not that she's had great writers over the last few years, but there's a clear difference between how she gets written in some books and other books that don't get the character.

Look at this guy totally running down Captain Marvel!

(FWIW, I haven't read Carol's comics in the last decade, but the character on-screen is a lot different than her 70s/80s personality.)

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
What just happened? A single :[ triggered this guy to basically call Seeya a bigot? I think that's a sign you're a little too invested in box office returns lol

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Warms my heart. I had a blast watching CM after being lukewarm on the trailers. Glad the trolls pushed me to buy a ticket.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I have $70 riding on Captain Marvel hitting a billi, so fingers crossed, get $30 back if I win (only way my buddies would've agreed to the bet)

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at this guy totally running down Captain Marvel!

(FWIW, I haven't read Carol's comics in the last decade, but the character on-screen is a lot different than her 70s/80s personality.)

I'm probably the biggest stan for Captain Marvel in this thread XD Heck, despite my being in sometimes heated disagreements over TLJ (and the ST as a whole) I'm on great terms a few of those who are its most fervent defenders. I may have a few 'bad takes' here and there but I'm no bigot ;)

(FWIW You're not wrong, though if anything I feel that they may have heued too closely to her modern take, which kind of smoothed over a lot of the things that made her compelling so that she could be more of a boilerplate hero.)

What just happened? A single :[ triggered this guy to basically call Seeya a bigot? I think that's a sign you're a little too invested in box office returns lol

I could understand if it was :], but :[. Ah well, it's over. No need for me to keep hashing it out.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Oh my God, is the male figure in this case supposed to be Hugo?

Fucking Hugo?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if they have made any substantial changes to his story, but lol.
You should see Alita. To answer your question should you have no interest in seeing it, however:

After Alita wakes up for the first time, she gets out of bed and examines her unclothed robot body in a mirror. The next thing she does, however, is put on clothes and go downstairs to be introduced to Ido and Gerhad (Gonzu's replacement). Ido examines Alita and asks her questions about any residual effects from the surgery. Alita says she's hungry, so Ido gives her an orange to eat; not knowing what an orange is, Alita bites it without peeling and makes a funny face. Ido peels it for her while asking more questions, gives her another piece, after eating it correctly she declares "that's sooo good" and asks what it's called. Afterwards they move outside where Alita has her first experience of Scrap Iron City and goes through a "what's this? what's that? what are those?" spree as Ido walks with her and introduces Alita to the city. They stop at an outdoor cafe where Alita gets more food to eat, and that's where the movie introduces Hugo.

Hugo in the movie is... less of an asshole than Hugo in the manga. Alita is still disturbingly lovestruck just like in the manga, but Hugo is less single-minded and more interested in being with Alita, and after Alita is almost killed by Grewishka's grindcutters (which Hugo jacked on orders from Vector), his guilt at having a hand in her predicament begins to change him. Ido introduces Alita to the world they live in but tries to protect her while doing so; Hugo introduces Alita (and the audience) to Motorball and the things Ido won't. Also, in a scene reminiscent of Ido and the orange, Hugo introduces Alita to chocolate for another humorous reaction (and CG performance capture showcase scene).

And like Cuburger says, people are mis-remembering the Berserker body "boob" scene.

After attaching Alita to the Berserker body, the body automatically begins to reconfigure itself. Ido comments that it's doing this according to Alita's own subconscious, though how is a mystery to him. Nurse Gerhad comments that Alita looks to be a little older than Ido thought as they look at her new body, which is more filled out compared to her old one, which was intended for Ido's wheelchair-bound teenage daughter. Alita doesn't think of herself as a little girl like Ido's daughter, and her new body adjusted itself to reflect that. At least that's how I viewed it.

I've seen enough anime to know how a scene like that could go. It's tasteful. They didn't do it like that, the shots of her body aren't lingering shots, and there's no... well... look, there's no balloon inflation or anything. I don't know how else to say it. You don't watch them get bigger.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I have $70 riding on Captain Marvel hitting a billi, so fingers crossed, get $30 back if I win (only way my buddies would've agreed to the bet)

So you gave your friends 2+:1 odds that it gets to a billion when only 1 of the previous marvel origin movies has hit a billion. You may win, but that still seems like a bad bet to me.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Can we have a mod stop this foolishness over the past page here please

kswiston BronsonLee

The attack against Seeya honestly came off as pretty pathetic. Seeya posts China stuff every day for every BO thread. He put one sad smiley on a post with facts and apparently all this useless back and forth needed to happen. Calling him a bigot after all the shit he got for betting on Black Panther to surpass all expectations is particularly funny.

It is a fact that Captain Marvel dropped harder than the movies with comparable openings in China, for reasons Seeya and others in tune with China's BO gave possible explanations (mainly the action scenes part). Deal with it jesus.

The movie is still a phenomenal success and basically told every incel in the world to go fuck themselves over how big a success it is.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Seeya's posts nor do I sense any sort of hidden agenda like suggested from his. Most of the time, dude is just reporting the numbers.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? I know some people have been doubting if Aladdin was going to be one of the major money makers for Disney this year compared to the rest of its line up.

I'm betting this gets at least a $150 Million US opening and crosses a billion worldwide after that trailer. I think this is going to look a lot more unique to general audiences than we're expecting. I'm also betting this blows up outside the US.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Nah, Bumblebee is one of the best movies in its genre in years. Shame Paramount sent it out to die in December.

It did alright. $459m WW with Japan yet to come (probably a few million there). It did well enough for Hasbro to officially call it a reboot and Paramount to start development on sequels.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I want a Dragon Ball movie with Jackie Chan as Roshi and Jet Li as Shen the crane master

and then time travel and bring 2008 Brandon Soo Hoo from Tropic Thunder to the present and cast him as kid Goku

1_1e7dca4242bf47fb3ddd3110ad29f916.jpg

Yes, I've thought about this too much
I haven't followed this actor at all, but do you think current Soo Hoo could play adult Goku?

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
The Hunger Game was on late March in which Spring Break has begun and BvS first Monday was a holiday (Easter).

And honestly I did not expect Captain Marvel to do much in China despite the film got average review (8.8 on Douban). China is into big spectacle film which Captain Marvel did not focus into, plus they also did not click with Brie's appearance - they prefer woman with V-line chin.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ding ding ding, here is the winner. It has nothing to do with the actual drops or someone posting about the drops it's about the sarcastic/gleeful tone used when discussing the drops. Nothing more, nothing less,. I ventured into post history before making a statement like that thinking maybe it is coincidental, from what I saw it was iffy at best.
suuuurrree

Status
Not open for further replies.