• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big WLW box office mood:

m49qubowkrl21.jpg

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how absolutely nuts this interview with Lorenzo di Bonaventura is and how these are the most wild numbers I've ever seen?

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/03/13...rs-live-action-movie-remains-undecided-384848

According to Mr. Bonaventura, the movie is estimated to cost $450 million to make and the investors are not too keen to invest on a high risk project costing nearly half a million to make.

If this becomes a reality, the movie will become the highest budgeted movie in Hollywood, says the producer.

According to industry calculations, the movie should make $ 1.125 billion just to reach the break-even value; an impossible odd considering the trend for the series nowadays. This is just from the production budget alone. Combine that with the marketing budget and the value will skyrocket to an impossible target.

Imagine a movie based off the dopey looking early-2000s era Canadian show that got the green light based entirely on someone saying the name "Optimus Primal" over their lunch break having the distinction of being the highest budgeted movie in film history.

I can't even fathom what in the movie would warrant such cash.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how absolutely nuts this interview with Lorenzo di Bonaventura is and how these are the most wild numbers I've ever seen?

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/03/13...rs-live-action-movie-remains-undecided-384848

Imagine a movie based off the dopey looking early-2000s era Canadian show that got the green light based entirely on someone saying the name "Optimus Primal" over their lunch break having the distinction of being the highest budgeted movie in film history.

Are they gonna make the Transformers out of pure cocaine or like why would you spend $450M (just typing that out feels insane) on some weirdass spinoff film?

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
14.3 mil Tuesday sounds pretty good right ?
Second best March Tuesday, behind only Beauty and the Beast ($17.8m).

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-tuesday-box-office-record-1202574950/

Disney says WW is up to $524M. One film finance source believes that it's pretty much certain that Captain Marvel will see $1 billion around the world and break the glass ceiling for female-led pics at the global B.O., dashing past Wonder Woman's final global of $821.8M. Domestic will be at $400M. Captain Marvel will pass break even in the theatrical window by the end of the week with $750M worldwide.

For some perspective, this supposedly had a lower budget than Alita. Granted, its ad buy ins were probably significantly higher, but shows how high the bar is for a movie like this to break even.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

1. A Beast Wars film will never happen. It's just not viable.
2. Does Beast Wars even have name recognition anymore outside the Transformers fanbase? (Genuine question--I'm so steeped in the fandom that I don't know).
3. Lorenzo is so full of shit. He literally says whatever he wants, even when it doesn't make sense. There's not a chance in hell the movie would actually cost that much.
4. I wonder when they'll announce which Transformers films actually are coming next? It feels weird to be excited about this franchise again.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
2. Does Beast Wars even have name recognition anymore outside the Transformers fanbase? (Genuine question--I'm so steeped in the fandom that I don't know).
3. Lorenzo is so full of shit. He literally says whatever he wants, even when it doesn't make sense. There's not a chance in hell the movie would actually cost that much.
4. I wonder when they'll announce which Transformers films actually are coming next? It feels weird to be excited about this franchise again.

Captain Marvel succeeded and the only people who knew she existed were comic readers and who watched the occasional recent Marvel cartoon. It can be done. Of course whether it'll be marketed properly or a good movie are unknown variables.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he's talking about the rumor that Sony is in talks to buy Take Two. Apparently taken out of context, but if Google is serious about entering the game industry then I think Sony will make a big gaming acquisition to protect its future in that core pillar industry for them.
There's a difference between buying gaming studios strengthen your future as a dominant gaming force and buying a publisher that has so many redundancies for a company like Sony that it would render the deal a waste of money.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

wtf why

what's so special about beast wars that would have the budget balloon so high above the other transformers movies? it's the same shit.

I think Beast Wars would actually be huge with all the 90s nostalgia stuff going on right now. Especially if it's good, and it feels like Transformers finally has some momentum after Bumblebee.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
wtf why

what's so special about beast wars that would have the budget balloon so high above the other transformers movies? it's the same shit.

I think Beast Wars would actually be huge with all the 90s nostalgia stuff going on right now. Especially if it's good, and it feels like Transformers finally has some momentum after Bumblebee.
We never got proper 80s (aka REAL) Transformers nostalgia until Bumblebee. Let us old fogies have some of them before we move onto the Beast Wars stuff.

Oct 31, 2017
There's a difference between buying gaming studios strengthen your future as a dominant gaming force and buying a publisher that has so many redundancies for a company like Sony that it would render the deal a waste of money.

"There's a difference between buying production and independent companies and licenses to strengthen your future as a dominant movie studio force and buying another major studio that has so many redundancies for a company like Disney that it would render the deal a waste of money."

Shit happens. Times are changing. We'll see what Google will show next week, but if they are serious, Sony needs to be very serious about protecting their position in gaming.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"There's a difference between buying production and independent companies and licenses to strengthen your future as a dominant movie studio force and buying another major studio that has so many redundancies for a company like Disney that it would render the deal a waste of money."

Shit happens. Times are changing. We'll see what Google will show next week, but if they are serious, Sony needs to be very serious about protecting their position in gaming.
I didn't even realize this was in Box Office thread. I thought this was in the Xbox Studios thread. LOL

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

According to him (so I guess take it with a grain of salt) the next movies on the docket are Bumblebee 2, a Prime spinoff, and an animated Cybertron movie.

Please finish the game story. Somebody. Anybody.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

I loved Beast Wars as a kid but a Beast Wars film with a $450 million budget would be such a big bomb it would probably bankrupt Paramount.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That new Avengers Trailer is honestly incredible

I really think Endgame is going to beat IWs opening weekend record

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
$100m budget reported for Shazam.

I hope it does well. I recently realized that it'll actually be the first DC movie I'll be seeing in theaters since The Dark Knight.

On a different note, how's Wonder Park tracking, Slayven?

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I really like Alita, but man, is that ending and cameo so fucking stupid and it will be even dumber years down the line since it probably won't get sequels. Like, Super Mario Bros. The Movie stupid. I can already see a podcast like We Hate Movies laughing at that ending.

Also, the 2nd failed franchise starter that Ed Norton appears in.(Counting The Bourne Legacy where he also plays a big bad that will be taken down in sequels that never materialize)

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
$100m budget reported for Shazam.

I hope it does well. I recently realized that it'll actually be the first DC movie I'll be seeing in theaters since The Dark Knight.

On a different note, how's Wonder Park tracking, Slayven?

Ha I've seen 80 and 90 today... it's somewhere in that range, but not like bank breaking like most of em

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm going 80-85 domestic OW on Shazam, trailers have honestly been great and Twitter impressions have been as well
That's not bad for its budget, is it?

I guess it depends on legs and overseas, too.

I really want it to do well, and I want more of them. DCEU needs this kind of tone in its lineup.
Preaching to the choir here, really want a Flash and Green Lantern Corps movie in this tone

Status
Not open for further replies.