• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say endgame opens a bit lower (because of duration) but ends up higher.
Or maybe we just do 300M opening hah.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going 80-85 domestic OW on Shazam, trailers have honestly been great and Twitter impressions have been as well

Preaching to the choir here, really want a Flash and Green Lantern Corps movie in this tone

A touch less goofy, but still fun. CW Flash Season One had a pretty perfect tone, and if you could get rid of all the "character acts stupid to advance the plot" it would be a decent model.

Wonder Woman was spot-on tone-wise as well. Warm, funny, but serious when it needed to be.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the list of people that think the new Endgame trailer is pretty great. Not so much for showing more cool stuff from the movie, but for pitching this as the closure for Cap, Thor, and Iron Man and reminding us that that's probably the biggest reason to see it.

It's retroactively selling the whole arc leading up to this, and how this is the last one in the set to complete your collection.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Let's play a game (no prices, unless you're wiling to accept one trash* indie game from my pile of humble bundle keys). We have three new wide releases this weekend and they are as follows: an animated kiddie film in Wonder Park, a YA "I'm sick and in love" weepie in Five Feet Apart, and a sci-fi thriller that is doing the whole mystery box thing in Captive State. So good folks, it's time for a game of
LhY5ek2.png

Reviews:

wnWJfyV.jpg

1kgqARq.jpg

t9bEA0i.jpg

(no press screenings for Captive State)

Production Budgets:
Wonder Park: $100M
Five Feet Apart: $7M
Captive State: $25M

Theatre Counts:
Wonder Park: 3838
Five Feet Apart: 2803
Captive State: 2547

And yes, you must motivate why you consider the film of your choosing the biggest bomb, not just which will make the least money.

*game may or may not be absolute trash. It will be chosen at near random, I take no responsibility for its quality, or content. And of course no refunds

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think Shazam will hit $100m OW. There's excitement for that movie.

also would more expensive double feature tickets count towards Endgame's total? Cause I expect many many people willing to pay extra to watch Infinity War and Endgame back to back on the big screen. If so, Infinity War's OW record is definitely going down.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Let's play a game (no prices, unless you're wiling to accept one trash* indie game from my pile of humble bundle keys). We have three new wide releases this weekend and they are as follows: an animated kiddie film in Wonder Park, a YA "I'm sick and in love" weepie in Five Feet Apart, and a sci-fi thriller that is doing the whole mystery box thing in Captive State. So good folks, it's time for a game of
LhY5ek2.png

Reviews:

wnWJfyV.jpg

1kgqARq.jpg

t9bEA0i.jpg

Production Budgets:

Theatre Counts:
Wonder Park: aprox 3500
Five Feet Apart: aprox 2600
Captive State: aprox 2200

And yes, you must motivate why you consider the film of your choosing the biggest bomb, not just which will make the least money.

*game may or may not be absolute trash. It will be chosen at near random, I take no responsibility for its quality, or content. And of course no refunds

Process of elimination:

Five Feet Apart won't bomb on a budget that small. It's not designed to make huge bank, and it won't.

Captive State's smallish budget and counterprogramming the Big Superhero Movie for people who either go to the movies a lot and already saw CM or are just not into hero movies means it will at least have an audience.

Wonder Park-- costs a ton, reviews badly, and CM probably still eats the top-end of its age range (lots of kids seeing MCU movies these days, especially one with a Girl Power theme). I'm saying Wonder Park is the only clear bomb. HTTYD might even shave off a bit of its audience. Bonus points-- my kids, who want to see virtually everything they see a trailer for, have expressed zero interest.

It might sneak out of bomb territory into "disappointing" territory but it's not going to be a happy weekend for the producers.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

also would more expensive double feature tickets count towards Endgame's total? Cause I expect many many people willing to pay extra to watch Infinity War and Endgame back to back on the big screen. If so, Infinity War's OW record is definitely going down.

Man, I would be delighted if Shazam made that kind of money.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Park sounds like a joy behind the scenes.
  • $100M budget for a movie that appears to be a backdoor pilot for a future tv show first, movie second.
  • Original director fired for sexual misconduct. Three others (one with no experience in animation) took over, but no one will be credited as director. This may be a first.
  • Jeffrey Tambor originally had a part but was replaced with Max from Armageddon. In the UK the role is voiced by former Doctor Tom Baker.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
LhY5ek2.png

Reviews:

wnWJfyV.jpg

1kgqARq.jpg

t9bEA0i.jpg

Production Budgets:

Theatre Counts:
Wonder Park: aprox 3500
Five Feet Apart: aprox 2600
Captive State: aprox 2200

Wonder Park for the budget alone. I don't think the other two will do well, but they have significantly smaller budgets and I've seen more advertising for WP than for the other two combined.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017

I think 75-80 is more likely with incredible legs.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
LhY5ek2.png

Reviews:

wnWJfyV.jpg

1kgqARq.jpg

t9bEA0i.jpg

Production Budgets:

Theatre Counts:

Wonder Park. At 7 million Five Feet Apart will break even at least on incidentals, Captive State isn't going to do much but at least will get halfway there eventually I'd think. Wonder Park is a $100 Million boondoggle with some of the worst ads I've ever seen (And for animated film, that's saying something), PLUS there's money sunk into an animated series that is DOA due to the aforementioned bombing of the source material.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Was surprised at how full the 1pm Captain Marvel showing was today. Theater was about half full. And didnt think the regular schools were out this week, because there were a ton of kids.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I would expect any double features to be on Thursday, timed to precede the 6 or 7pm first showings of Endgame, so not cutting into Endgame showings.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
LhY5ek2.png

Reviews:

wnWJfyV.jpg

1kgqARq.jpg

t9bEA0i.jpg

Production Budgets:

Theatre Counts:

Five Feet Apart is too low to outright bomb, but all are going to lay a turd

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking OWX3-3.5 range for Shazam! Great early impressions and there's next to nothing in its way for 3 weeks

Shazam's China Exclusive trailer

"There's a difference between buying production and independent companies and licenses to strengthen your future as a dominant movie studio force and buying another major studio that has so many redundancies for a company like Disney that it would render the deal a waste of money."

Shit happens. Times are changing. We'll see what Google will show next week, but if they are serious, Sony needs to be very serious about protecting their position in gaming.

People don't realize two things

1) Take Two is a publisher, and this would give Sony entry/access to multi platform publishing even if Sony side did not engage directly

2) There are no redundancies here. People can accept it or not, but the hardware agnostic future is coming in hot, and we're witnessing the beginning of content wars for **streaming** and **a la cart** service platforms that more closely resemble the Netflix battleground. If anything, if the rumours of Xbox Gamepass coming to Switch, and Google being on the verge of announcing a console is true, Sony would outright purchase Take Two if only to prevent that content from appearing on their rivals services.

That SOUNDS like buisiness as usual, but it's really not. The game is changing and you either adapt or die.

PS4 Remote Play coming to IOS is just the start. As hardware becomes increasingly abstracted, expect wild wild things from all the major players moving into next gen while keeping all of those 'Sony Emulation' patents in mind for how PSNOW will evolve

But back on topic.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subscribe to my channel Nerds & Gamers and I'll tell you all about how Disney is buying tickets to Captain Marvel in China to promote their SJW agenda after the Chinese audience rejected it. Be sure to like, comment, and subscribe and be sure to donate to my Patreon, my mom is charging me rent starting next month

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was requested to update my big Disney Roadmap pic to show how many dollars they've made over all their films for the year and how close they to $10 Billion , I'll probably have something when the sunday numbers are posted, but I wonder what I should do about the more minor Disney Films like Penguins, do I add them under misc? Do I have them in the posters will all the other big titles? I don't want us to be in October and people being like "What the heck is that Penguins movie?", Artemis Fowl is already going to be raising those questions as is.

(I won't be counting Fox films towards the total should the deal go through).

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's early article

Today in its eighth day of play, Captain Marvel is expected to cross the $200M mark, a day ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which reached the milestone in nine days. Industry estimates believe Captain Marvel should do about $70M in Weekend 2.

While everything seems like counter-programming, Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon's Wonder Park is the most prolific as it cost an estimated $100M net and has been in the works since 2014, when the late Brad Grey was in charge of the lot. Previews kicked off yesterday at 4 PM, earning $700,000 at 2,620 theaters. The pic is expected to do between $10M-$14M at 3,838 venues this weekend; the pic seriously needs to do way more at that cost.

Focus Features has the Participant/DreamWorks/Amblin sci-fi pic Captive State at 2,500 locations. Previews began at 7 PM last night with $300K, with earlier-week projections at $4M over three days for this $25M feature production from director Rupert Wyatt.

CBS Films/Lionsgate has the romance movie Five Feet Apart,about a pair of teenagers with life-threatening illnesses who meet in a hospital and fall in love. Last night brought in $715K. The pic cost $7M before P&A and tracking has the movie between $8M-$10M, but Captain Marvel could steal cash away for a result that's more in line of $6M-$9M at 2,803 theaters.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seeya got seeya. He's an overly aggressive poster who frequently is wrong and refuses to admit to that and doubles down on the aggression when someone challenges him. 🤷‍♂️

He's got a good grasp on the China BO but on anything else......yeah he's kind of in over his head most of the time and with his aggressive attitude it creates a lot of problems.

Looks like Captain Marvel is recovering in China

My banned theory is still true!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
LhY5ek2.png

Reviews:

wnWJfyV.jpg

1kgqARq.jpg

t9bEA0i.jpg

Production Budgets:

Theatre Counts:

The massive budget for Wonder Park and nonexistent marketing guarantee that will be the biggest bomb. Being another sci-fi film involving aliens with extremely vague marketing concerning its plot in what's clearly a paycheck role for a recognizable supporting actor has me thinking that Captive State will be Kin all over again. Five Feet Apart will do fine for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.