• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

a4PjyzN.png

WZXSGY0.png

SwOhlr2.png

SU7hrPU.png

j0kInBW.png

'Black Panther' Rules 4th Frame With $41M+; 'A Wrinkle In Time' At $33M+: A Diversity & Disney Dominant Weekend

Disney dominated this weekend's box office, commanding the top two spots with Marvel's might Black Panther and Ava Duvernay's' A Wrinkle in Time. With an 84% from Friday to Saturday, Black Panther will gross $41.1M for the weekend as it pushes to almost $562M. A Wrinkle In Time will end its debut weekend with $33.3M.

What A Wrinkle in Time has to look forward to are rolling spring breaks in hopes of luring families in. On Monday, 18% K-12 are out and 37% colleges; those figures will spike over Easter weekend with Good Friday seeing 79% K-12 out and 43% colleges. Even though A Wrinkle in Time had a marketing campaign which sought to hook a diverse moviegoing crowd, African American and Hispanic crowds turned out respectively at 18% and 14% along with 54% Caucasian per ComScore/Screen Engine's PostTrak. Compare this to Black Panther's first weekend which pulled in 37% African American, 36% Caucasian and 17% Hispanic. Arguably, Black Panther is stealing away a good bulk A Wrinkle in Time's audience, however, if the exit scores on the female family movie were higher, its chances of overindexing would be higher.

Other pictures in their first weekend of release include Strangers: Prey at Night which took the No. 3 spot this weekend for a tidy meal of $10.2M. The Hurricane Heist blew in at No. 9 with $2.8M+ while Gringo didn't even open in the Top Ten with a 2,404 theater release. It opened below Jumanji which is in its 12th weekend of release.

Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro's The Shape Of Water bumped up its this weekend by 720 to capitalize on its Best Picture Oscar win. It's total has now risen to $60.85M.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Last edited:

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like a lock to beat Iron Man 3 now worldwide. Shame it won't reach The Last Jedi.

Jumanji still being top 10 and in over 2000 theatres is ridiculous. Hasn't the movie already been released digitally as well?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney now needs a full month for the legs for every one of it's tent pole releases at this point. They should have spaced their summer movies out more this year.

Forest Whitaker must've really liked that one accent he had in Rogue One to bring it back.

No, not that one.

Not that one, either.

Close!

Yeah, that one.

Well, if it's of any consolation to Disney, at least A Wrinkle in Time cost quite a bit less than their other would-be "original IP" launches. I still don't know where the hell the damn near $200 million went into Tomorrowland.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch, Gringo doing so badly is a bit surprising, I guess Charlize Theron is no Jennifer Lawrence after all :(

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about films that won't make one tenth of Black Panther:
The PTA for Death of Stalin is really good, Iannucci is a genius so I'm glad to see this.
A Fantastic Woman gaining more than 100% on the back of its Oscar win is also nice to see, it will probably pass The Square and end up as the top earner for the foreign language Oscar noms as well.
Call Me by Your Name could pass Still Alice and Thrill Ride to become SPC's 6th best earner of all time. It ended up doing decently in spite of its roll out schedule.
Thoroughbreds opened a bit soft, that PTA isn't great.
Also RIP Early Man, you never stood a chance.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe Hurricane Heist actually sold $3,000,000 worth of tickets.

Ouch, Gringo doing so badly is a bit surprising, I guess Charlize Theron is no Jennifer Lawrence after all :(
The trailers made it look like one of those zany R-rated ensemble comedies from the early 2000s that died quickly. Mortdecai (just made you think about that one for the first time in years, huh?) was another similar prospect of dubious commercial potential.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Would be awesome if it passed Titanic's 659 to become 3rd highest grossing domestic.

BP should be near or past $600M a week from now. Next weekend will be over $25M. A 40% drop in the weekdays from last week would be $11M. That puts it at $598M. If the drops are closer to 35% instead of 40%, we'll see $600M.

The Last Jedi made $11M on its fifth weekend. Avengers and Jurassic World made $20.5M and $18M respectively. I don't see why BP would slow down. Passing Titanic for third is a decent bet unless people decide to lose their mind over one of March's mediocre offerings.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BP to cross 600m next weekend? wow

I wonder if it will still be #1 next weekend too, are there any real challengers coming out?

Armored Ape

Oct 25, 2017
Cambridge Ma
Tomb raider is out next weekend... even a disappointing opening for tomb raider would surpass BP. But who knows

Edit : Guess tomb raider is trash long live de bleck pentha

Last edited:

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a lock to beat Iron Man 3 now worldwide. Shame it won't reach The Last Jedi.

Jumanji still being top 10 and in over 2000 theatres is ridiculous. Hasn't the movie already been released digitally as well?

That's insane. Kaz must have prayed to all the mythical Japanese gods for a hit.

I'm still not watching it though.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Tomb raider is out next weekend... even a disappointing opening for tomb raider would surpass BP. But who knows

boxoffice.com has Tomb Raider at $28M. I'd guess $25-27M for BP next weekend. If Tomb Raider comes in a bit soft, BP can take a fifth weekend. But it seems less likely than this past weekend.

OP
OP
kswiston

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
Jesus! Nobody could possibly predict that. What would that place it in the MCU? second place behind Avengers?

Domestically, BP will be the #1 comic book film of all time. Passing Avengers is locked.

Worldwide, it will be #3, behind Avengers and Age of Ultron. It kicks The Dark Knight Rises out of the worldwide superhero Top 5 tomorrow, giving Marvel the full top 5 for the first time ever.

EDIT: I confused myself with the rankings.

1) Avengers
2) Age of Ultron
3) Iron Man 3
4) Civil War
5) TDKR - soon to be BP

Status
Not open for further replies.