• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I see Grace Randolph can't do basic math. Claiming it's an insult for Shazam to be compared to Antman and that it'll surpass its numbers ($180m DOM, $520m global) absolutely deluded DC fangirl.

Lol, did she really say that? I stopped watching her a couple of months ago, but I did see the thumbnail for her latest Movie Math video and she looked like she was hyping up Shazam's numbers as being more impressive than they were.

It's one thing to support a movie, quite another to be that delusional about its box office. Shazam is going to be lucky to get pass $350 WW, never mind doing Ant-Man numbers. Or even Solo numbers.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Cap Marvel AR & UY update:
- In Argentina it's sitting at 1.3M tickets sold, so just 200k away from CW. But at the rate it's dropping unless it gets a boost from Endgame, I don't think it'll end up passing it. Carol will have to live with being MCU top 6 (until Endgame when it'll get demoted to top 7)
- In Uruguay it's currently at 74.5k tickets sold, just 1k away from passing AoU, something it'll do this week. Carol will thus end up in MCU top 3 territory until Endgame releases, since the next MCU movie would be the first Avengers but that one is over 88k tickets and it does not have enough gas in the tank for that. If it manages to crack 80k, it'll be the second highest selling solo superhero movie behind Raimi's first Spider-Man (sitting pretty at 135k), also means it'll be one of the highest selling superhero movies (top 4), period.

There's something to note though and it's that this week is Easter week, where most cinemas get a bump in tickets sold. This means that CM might get an extra boost, especially with Endgame coming next week (presales have been crazy here btw, like everywhere else I guess).

Regarding the other Captain Marvel, it's bombing.

Rvaan I'm not sure it'll end up doing it, but do add me to the 1B OW WW hype train

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if DOM presales are more impressive than China anymore ...
5gyaqhwe9gs21.jpg

I wonder if $300m is in the cards. That's $100m more than Infinity War's opening weekend.

shit's fucked up fam

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, did she really say that? I stopped watching her a couple of months ago, but I did see the thumbnail for her latest Movie Math video and she looked like she was hyping up Shazam's numbers as being more impressive than they were.

It's one thing to support a movie, quite another to be that delusional about its box office. Shazam is going to be lucky to get pass $350 WW, never mind doing Ant-Man numbers. Or even Solo numbers.

Last week she assumed it would pass $600m, this week she says it just needs to do Antman numbers but suggests with Endgame arriving it won't be easy. The video is then littered with insults to Antman calling it the runt of the litter. Which is hilarious because Antman is probably not far off the same figure as the DCEU average film take.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Last week she assumed it would pass $600m, this week she says it just needs to do Antman numbers but suggests with Endgame arriving it won't be easy. The video is then littered with insults to Antman calling it the runt of the litter. Which is hilarious because Antman is probably not far off the same figure as the DCEU average film take.
Ant-Man and The Wasp and Dr. Strange bring down the Phase 3 average by like 300M. Which roughly what Shazam! will gross.
Also IIRC the DCEU average and the MCU average over the last few films aren't THAT far apart.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Ant-Man and The Wasp and Dr. Strange bring down the Phase 3 average by like 300M. Which roughly what Shazam! will gross.
Also IIRC the DCEU average and the MCU average over the last few films aren't THAT far apart.

Over the last few films, that can't be right. The last three are Infinity War ($2b+), AMW ($650m) and Captain Marvel ($1b). That's more than a billion per movie. Aren't the last three for DC Justice League, Aquaman, and Shazam!? Even if you go back one more, isn't it Black Panther and WW? That's averages of 700m versus 1.2b. That's not close.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that a people are talking about Endgame doing a billion worldwide in its opening weekend is simultaneously crazy and entirely plausible. I'll put my chips on the under, but I think it's going to be close.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last few films, that can't be right. The last three are Infinity War ($2b+), AMW ($650m) and Captain Marvel ($1b). That's more than a billion per movie. Aren't the last three for DC Justice League, Aquaman, and Shazam!? Even if you go back one more, isn't it Black Panther and WW? That's averages of 700m versus 1.2b. That's not close.
Maybe it was 1st 6 MCU vs 1st 6 DCEU? My memory ain't the best. Either way just ignore that part.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was 1st 6 MCU vs 1st 6 DCEU? My memory ain't the best. Either way just ignore that part.

If you take the first 7 DC flicks (with Shazam still earning a bit) and the first 7 MCU (Phase 1 + Iron Man 3) they are within $20 million on average at $739 million for DC and $719 million for MCU. That's probably the closest possible comparison without jumping around phases to fit random movies into the average.

The MCU plateaus from there until Age of Ultron and the start of Phase 3 when the totals begin skyrocketing.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I like the thread title this week. Man Disney and their live action....................They may need to rethink that,.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Missing Link was barely advertised it seems. Forgot it was coming out this weekend until only a few days before.

Stop-motion is always a tough sell for audiences, but I think the marketing team dropped the ball as well.

They played the trailer a lot over the last few months but sadly it just didn't look appealing.

To who I imagine its target audience would be young kids.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Shame, Endgame would easily break 2b OW if not for Brie Larson, sad day for MCU. They better fire Kathleen Kennedy over this.

I'm not. My favorite renaissance film is The Hunchback of Notre Dame but I doubt it'll ever get a ramake, especially with what just happened :-(
They actually just announced they're doing a remake.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Great Mouse Detective live-action remake when.
Actually scratch that, that's a terrible idea. Leave Great Mouse Detective alone.

I'd be up for an Atlantis remake. It would bomb, but it would be cool.

Oct 27, 2017
Two questions:
1) Is Missing Link actually any good?
2) Is it very much aimed at kids?

I loved Kubo, and I'm a huge fan of stop motion, but I'm not gonna go see a movie for those reasons alone.

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
totally on board the 1b train. and the beat avatar train!

actually about that, everyone saying how do you make up for the 3D ticket boost avatar had, isnt china's market new enough that it could fill the gap?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Two questions:
1) Is Missing Link actually any good?
2) Is it very much aimed at kids?

I loved Kubo, and I'm a huge fan of stop motion, but I'm not gonna go see a movie for those reasons alone.
It's an ok movie. It's not strictly aimed at kids. It's not as ambitious as Kubo or Coraline. The story is a simple go from point A to B to C and the humor is charming but nothing special. Hugh Jackman and Zach Galifianakis are great, especially Zach. This isn't crazy Zach from The Hangover. Both actors play off each other really well and have a fun buddy cop duo thing going on. The movie tries to have a conversation on colonialism but it kind of fumbles that towards the end. So much of the 3rd act goes by way too fast. Visually it still carries over that same high quality stop-motion animation from past movies. The set designs are amazing. It's not something to go out and immediately see in theaters but if you did I don't think you would have a bad time. If your really into stop-motion the visuals alone will probably satisfy you.

Last edited:

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
actually about that, everyone saying how do you make up for the 3D ticket boost avatar had, isnt china's market new enough that it could fill the gap?

No, because Avatar was actually be beginning of the explosion of the Chinese box office for Hollywood movies. It made about $200M there, back when that was a ridiculous number to have made in China.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Avatar should be afraid, because the hype for Avengers is reaching stupid levels.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So everything except Shazam did crappily. And even Shazam is just doing alright...

Is Shazam even gonna break $500 mill WW? I hope DC doesn't change directions *again* after this.

Beginning to think the DC film "universe" is just DOA other than Wonder Woman's films (trilogy?).

So Captain Marvel will not match Aquaman's global BO? How the hell did that shit movie make over a billion dollars?

If Shazam had released in Aquaman's spot it probably would have a floor of $750 million.

If Captain Marvel had of been in Aquaman's spot it probably would have hit Black Panther's #'s (but with OS help not DOM).

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remaking Hercules wouldn't be a good idea because half of its charm comes from it's animation. Seeing Herc and Meg in that Vanity Fair photoshoot cinematography with stilted actors doing the disaffected thing while someone other than James Woods plays Hades......it would not be a good time.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Is Shazam even gonna break $500 mill WW? I hope DC doesn't change directions *again* after this.

Beginning to think the DC film "universe" is just DOA other than Wonder Woman's films (trilogy?).

If Shazam had released in Aquaman's spot it probably would have a floor of $750 million.

If Captain Marvel had of been in Aquaman's spot it probably would have hit Black Panther's #'s (but with OS help not DOM).
Amazing we're still getting post like this

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I contributed to it not making money this weekend, but it's a shame that Laika's movies don't make anywhere near the amount of money they should.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at some point people need to just stop talking about these idiots
Had no idea who she is, so went to check her last video...

What on Earth is her damage? She sounds like every DC fanboy/girl I have ever read on a forum concentrated into one Woman ... And why the obsession with Ant Man? O.o

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017

Shazam is not going to hit $500M WW. Also Aquaman is getting 2 more movies in that universe.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing we're still getting post like this

How is it amazing? Do tell.

DC kneejerked Justice League into oblivion after BvS and effectively gutted their integrated film universe.

If Shazaam can't even break $500 million WW, it's not exactly crazy to think DC may pull the plug on any future projects that aren't part of the holy trinity (such as Black Adam) for a while.