• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Went to see Captain Mah vell yesterday. Very good. Me when i saw the sf2 championship edition cabinet in it.
FlawlessMeagerCaracal-size_restricted.gif

So is Missing Link that bad? Thought of watching it today. It was either that or Us. But Missing Link is being show on dolby cinema

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
All I've seen from Endgame is a bunch of Avengers looking sad and depressed in boardroom meetings. It's rare for me not to know where a movie is going to go from it's markering.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Went to see Captain Mah vell yesterday. Very good. Me when i saw the sf2 championship edition cabinet in it.
FlawlessMeagerCaracal-size_restricted.gif

So is Missing Link that bad? Thought of watching it today. It was either that or Us. But Missing Link is being show on dolby cinema

It's not bad...but it's probably the weakest Laika movie I've seen so far. Coraline, Paranorman and Kubo were all better. This one really seems like an effort to play to a younger audience than their previous films. Not as dark, not as heavy, humour a bit more broad etc. Still has great animation though.

If it's a choice between Missing Link or Us, I'd absolutely choose Us.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
All I've seen from Endgame is a bunch of Avengers looking sad and depressed in boardroom meetings. It's rare for me not to know where a movie is going to go from it's markering.

Yep. I think this would be a much better advertising campaign if the brief were not "say nothing new, say it often, and try not to show anybody being happy or smiling."

I strongly suspect that over the next few days there may be an abrupt change in tone. It's about tuning audience expectations. Late-comers are going to need a reason to buy in, so by then there must be an expectation of an optimistic resolution.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad...but it's probably the weakest Laika movie I've seen so far. Coraline, Paranorman and Kubo were all better. This one really seems like an effort to play to a younger audience than their previous films. Not as dark, not as heavy, humour a bit more broad etc. Still has great animation though.

I wonder if kids think it looks interesting. I wonder if the main character looks unsettling or lame to them. I feel like this is a Mars Needs Moms type of issue where the characters look creepy.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that thread about low view counts on Star Wars trailers, this place will be unbearable if Episode IX doesn't blow the doors off.

It will be unbearable if it blows the doors off too. Then people will change the tune from "TLJ killed any interest in the franchise" to "see, it's so much better than TLJ the box office success proves it" and then go on their favorite rant of how cultured they are to see TLJ for the shit movie it is.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Second pass done!
Anyone I missed will be grabbed on the next pass. I might need a bigger train though.
avengers_hype_train.jpg

less

Oct 25, 2017
I just think Endgame is absorbing most of the movie hype. Everyone is focused on that movie and not giving much thought to anything that comes out after it.

There certainly can be an element of this in play. Endgame is a big behemoth that is just about to hit so it is going to suck up a vast amount of oxygen when it comes to movie hype.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Second pass done!
Anyone I missed will be grabbed on the next pass. I might need a bigger train though.
avengers_hype_train.jpg
Haha you really might need a bigger train soon! I'm all in on that hype train. 1 billion opening weekend guys let's go! Seeing it opening night and the next day too. I'm not ready for what we are about to witness.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any hope for King of the Monsters doing well? I know we're still pretty far out from it but I'm rooting for that movie like crazy.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
There certainly can be an element of this in play. Endgame is a big behemoth that is just about to hit so it is going to suck up a vast amount of oxygen when it comes to movie hype.

I think it's more about that. The movie of the moment is Endgame. I cried during the Episode IX teaser and even I'm having a hard time switching between feeling hype for Marvel, then video games, Detective Pikachu, GoT, and whatever else there is in pop culture I'm supposed to be hyped about. It almost makes me go back to just politics! (Almost)

And out of the biggest movies of the year that are still pending release, TROS is the farthest away.

Despite that, I don't see any problems with the hype generated by Celebration. Everything seemed to go (relatively) great, especially for the TROS teaser. It's so far out still and won't have any competition in December that I think it can rech Endgame levels of hype by the time pre-sales start.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Worse than Boxtrolls? Kubo is my favourite of theirs, such a depressing film.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Watched Missing Link because of Kubo/Coraline goodwill.

Well that was trash. Like not even funny, with ugly character designs and some mean-spirited bits of humour.

Not saying it deserves to flop, but it kinda does.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think it's more about that. The movie of the moment is Endgame. I cried during the Episode IX teaser and even I'm having a hard time switching between feeling hype for Marvel, then video games, Detective Pikachu, GoT, and whatever else there is in pop culture I'm supposed to be hyped about. It almost makes me go back to just politics! (Almost)

And out of the biggest movies of the year that are still pending release, TROS is the farthest away.

Despite that, I don't see any problems with the hype generated by Celebration. Everything seemed to go (relatively) great, especially for the TROS teaser. It's so far out still and won't have any competition in December that I think it can rech Endgame levels of hype by the time pre-sales start.

I don't think it'll have Endgame levels of hype, but I still see it opening around TLJ's number($220m).

The weird thing about people reading into the YouTube views for the teaser is that the number is right in line with past ST teasers, both of which maxed out around 40m views. That seems to be right where this one will eventually land.

Edit: Wait, I re-checked and TFA Teaser 2 (the Celebration one) has 88m views, so not a great comparison. But TLJ is right around 40m. I think we'll be able to gage better once the marketing has truly gone into effect.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it'll have Endgame levels of hype, but I still see it opening around TLJ's number($220m).

The weird thing about people reading into the YouTube views for the teaser is that the number is right in line with past ST teasers, both of which maxed out around 40m views. That seems to be right where this one will eventually land.

Edit: Wait, I re-checked and TFA Teaser 2 (the Celebration one) has 88m views, so not a great comparison. But TLJ is right around 40m. I think we'll be able to gage better once the marketing has truly gone into effect.

Well it has 88m views accumulated over 4.5 years haha. You have to compare the TROS teaser to the TFA teaser at the same days after upload.

Also, the platforms on where to view teaser trailers online have also diversified since TFA. I remember everybody refreshing mostly only YouTube back in 2014, but now Facebook gets almost as much views too, at least during the first 24 hours (during which people most share the video). And there, the teaser for TROS had almost the same amount of views as in YouTube.

And again, the hype machine is only just started and people are still focused on Endgame.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Jumanji 2 could just end up eating at its legs again like it did to TLJ. TLJ had worse legs than Rogue One while Jumanji never had a weekend drop above 40% till March.