• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

AX3Z7bN.png

2phnAhj.png

5fqBhms.png

qvSdXjm.png

SL57lc3.png

6EHc6wx.png

'Shazam!' To Hit $100M Before Friday; 'Little' Mighty With $15M+; 'Hellboy' Extinguished; 'After' Works Overseas

New Line/DC's Shazam! bulked up 74% on Saturday over Friday with $11M, putting its second weekend at $25.1M, -53%, for a 10-day of $94.9M. The DC superhero hero formerly known as Captain Marvel should cross $100M before Good Friday.

The weekend's other comic book franchise, though grittier than Shazam!, Millennium/Lionsgate's Hellboy, arrived on ice to the multiplex with $12M. That's the lowest Hellboy opening through three pics, off 64% from the series' previous opening high of $34.5M, when Universal made Hellboy II a piece of summer 2008 counter-programming. The shame is that after being a niche superhero during its launch with Sony/Revolution in 2004, Universal looked as though they expanded the audience for muscular red, horned guy. Now it's back to square one in regards to rebooting the brand. No one rushed out to see Hellboy because Guillermo del Toro wasn't part of this reboot, plus the film looks like a watered-down version of its predecessors. There's no plus-ing going on here in regards to making a movie that builds on del Toro's.

That said, there was an earnest attempt here to tap Game of Thrones director Neil Marshall, who was behind the "Blackwater" and "The Watchers on the Wall" episodes. But critics have deep-sixed the movie at 15% Rotten (we hear the film wasn't widely available to critics to be screened, so that tells you something right there). Worse, CinemaScore audiences have slapped Hellboy with a 'C' grade, lower than del Toro's first 2004 movie (B-) and Hellboy II: The Golden Army (B). PostTrak audience like it less than CinemaScore folks at 2 1/2 stars and a 44% recommend. Men over 25 repped 38% of the crowd, females over 25 were close to a third. Caucasians numbered 47% followed by Hispanic audiences at 23%, Asian at 14% and African American at 11%. Millennium spent $50M to make the movie. "Millennium will be fine, they will always be fine," said an international distribution exec yesterday, "When are they not?" Lionsgate, though, is bound to get the short end of the stick here after acquiring UK and US on the pic and being on the hook for P&A. For a studio that needs more franchises, Hellboy isn't the one.

Universal's Little had the upper hand over the devil throughout the weekend in second place and her estimates are spot on with what we saw yesterday afternoon, with $15.5M this morning after a Saturday of $6.1M, +15% over Friday. That's solid for a pic that cost $20M before P&A, which is a standard budget for a Will Packer production. It's a major win for diversity both at the box office and behind the camera, as Little is a movie directed, starring, written and executive produced by African American women.

CinemaScore audiences, who are typically hard on comedy, gave the movie a B+, while the Marsai Martin film gets four stars on PostTrak and a 62% recommend. Revised exits as of Sunday AM show African Americans repped 43% of the audience, followed by 28% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, and 4% Asian. Little overperformed in Atlanta, Houston, Washington DC and was generally better across the South and in the Northeast. Little's ticket buyers were comprised of 65% female, 56% under 25 in updated exits.

The UA-released Missing Link is looking at an estimated $5.8M, the lowest opening ever for a Laika production out of its five theatrical releases; Focus Features' Kubo and the Two Strings from 2016 repped a prior low opening of $12.6M. Stop motion animation is increasingly not an easy sell in this CGI era, plus Missing Link was sold younger than the regular hipster Laika fare, which kept the brand's enthusiasts away en masse. Those who showed were 52% Female and 67% under 25 with 54% under 17. The mix was 57% Caucasian, 18% Hispanic, 17% Asian/Other, & 8% African American. Men over 25, who rep a third of the audience, love the pic the most on PostTrak at 81% positive and a 63% definite recommend. Missing Link gets a B+ CinemaScore like Laika's Boxtrolls and Para-norman. Missing Link played best in the West & Mid-West. Seven out of the top 10 runs were from the west coast and 3-D only drew 11% of the weekend's business.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE UPDATES

Captain Marvel - $1.065B
Dumbo - $267M
Shazam! - $259M
Us - $236M
The Lego Movie 2 - $186M
Pet Sematary - $77M

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So shazam will make just over 300 before its legs are cut off

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing Grace is another solid documentary hit for NEON, they haven't had as much luck with their fiction releases so far.

Speaking of which, RIP The Beach Bum. That 87% drop.

High Life expanded a bit softer than I would have liked to see, I guess R-pats and a fuckbox won't lend it breakout status. Still looks like a lock for career best for the amazing Claire Denis.

Man. Missing Link. 😭

Hell(re)boot(y) did less in its first weekend than Hellboy II did on its first Friday. Yikes.

Oh hey, Mary Magdalene finally released.

as the box office heats up, we have an exciting race on our hands
Indie films with singing and pale ladies:
Code:
    Her Smell        PTA      Teen Spirit      PTA
------------------------------------------------------
OW  $39,058  (3)    $13,019   $44,361  (4)    $11,090

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any issue with dumbo being made. But the fact that it cost $170M is unbelievable

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Church grannies everywhere celebrating that failed Hellboy reboot today.

"Not today, Satan."

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Missing Link was barely advertised it seems. Forgot it was coming out this weekend until only a few days before.

Stop-motion is always a tough sell for audiences, but I think the marketing team dropped the ball as well.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy Teen Spirit is killing it out here, most anticipated April release this week for me.

Elle Fanning keeps proving she's the superior sister.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Are there seriously two singer-based movies out this week called Her Smell and Teen Spirit?

Her Smell. Teen Spirit.

Smell. Teen Spirit.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I will definitely see Shazam when i have a chance, can't wait. That poster of him on the phone is pure cringe though. I know it makes perfect sense, but it's still cringe

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Disney box office 2019 is off to a $1.332bil start just with Captain Marvel and Dumbo released

Worry not friends, bombs won't die anytime soon. In fact, some are still being made. Presenting Universal's Doctor Doolittle. Originally supposed to have released this weekend, reshootings are now happening and TWO directors (one from Lego Batman) have been brought in to salvage things. Current budget before reshoots: $175mil

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Missing Link was barely advertised it seems. Forgot it was coming out this weekend until only a few days before.

Stop-motion is always a tough sell for audiences, but I think the marketing team dropped the ball as well.
Yeah the trailer looked a lot like Early Man. Not in craft so much as tone. Like, nothing against Early Man but I was kinda surprised to see Laika's name at the end. I thought they were a bit edgier than Missing Link.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

Variety estimates the TV ad spend for it to $24.93M. But I don't think any amount of ads will overcome the inherent suck of the United States of America and what they do to animation.
Good lord Her Smell sunk without a trace.
It's not an amazing start for it. But it's the top PTA and it's the highest opener for Alex Ross Perry (with the highest PTA) by some margin.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Little was so fun! The little girl actress def has a huge career coming...she was stunning.

I'm gonna take my kids to see Shazam please don't suck

Oct 27, 2017
The advertising for shazam seemed to disappear this week, which makes its performance this week even better.

Advertising for hellboy was pretty abysmal, where is the entry point for the general public to get them interested in that movie?

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Also about Shazam. Kids don't like things that look made for kids. And it was darker than it should has been if it was aiming for the PG demographic.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Audiences went from DelToroBoy to HellNoBoy

Missing Link was advertised a lot during the NCAA Tournament, bet ya that's where most of Annapurna/MGM's advertising budget went for this movie

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Captain Marvel will not match Aquaman's global BO? How the hell did that shit movie make over a billion dollars?

Really appealed to Chinese audiences and had xmas holiday legs.

OT: I think it'll be really close but I want on the $1b hype train. Hoping OS can get the biggest increase.

$280m DOM
$250m CHINA
$470m OS-China