• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

Pbnjycb.png

QtaRMuK.png

JUWQAbt.png

DNQGuCM.png

J1f04qB.png

The Rock Rebounds: 'Rampage' Shushes 'A Quiet Place' With $34M+ No. 1 Opening

The tables have turned and now New Line/Warner Bros.' Rampage is stealing No. 1 away from A Quiet Place with a $34.5M opening following a super family-fueled Saturday of $13.9M, +20% over Friday. Global opening here for the Dwayne Johnson-director Brad Peyton-Flynn Picture Company team-up is $148.6M.

That's not to say that the John Krasinski Paramount movie didn't do well, or that it slowed down significantly. A Quiet Place also saw a surge in Saturday business, +29% over Friday with $13.5M taking its second weekend to $32.6M, a wonderful -35% ease, with a 10-day total of $99.6M.

So, tracking thought Rampage was going to be No. 1 heading into the weekend, then Friday showed A Quiet Place winning — what's going on?

Essentially, Friday the 13th business skewed heavily in favor A Quiet Place, with many calling the weekend in the pic's favor.

Universal/Blumhouse's Truth or Dare is still on target for a 3rd place opening of $19M after a $6.8M Saturday that's -18% from Friday, which is the front-loaded nature for most horror movies. Even though this is lower than Happy Death Day's $26M start, Truth or Dare was battling for young females with A Quiet Place. Nonetheless a solid start for this $5M budgeted pic. Even if the pic does a 2x multiple stateside, greater riches are in store for Blumhouse if Uni gets Truth or Dare past $100M worldwide.

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Rampage - $148M ($55M in China)
Ready Player One - $475M
Black Panther - $1.313B
A Quiet Place - $151M
Peter Rabbit - $298M
Tomb Raider - $268M

The full worldwide chart will be posted later.

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

Explanation of Box Office Terms, Abbreviations, and Concepts

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
That's a soft opening for Rampage but it would have been a lot worse if it didn't beat AQP for the top spot.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next week I could see AQP back on top. I don't see either comdies opening doing that well.

Truth or dare shouldn't have any legs and rampage isn't going to hold.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's going to do at least 2.5x its 4-day opening.
Maybe, but at this point in looks like A Quiet Place is going to outdo it domestically, which boggles my mind. I have to assume that Warner Bros. expected higher numbers for a Spielberg-directed mass market film. Maybe not Jurassic Park numbers, but certainly much higher than this.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Most critically acclaimed and commercially successful videogame-licensed film ever made! Ground-breaking work, Dwayne.

Kidding aside, Silent Hill is the best.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I would be well up for Rampage 2 to be honest, so I'm cool with this.

Glad to see Blockers is on its way to tripling its (sensibly small) budget.

Don't think anyone is surprised by Truth or Dare's performance. Film fucking blows but we'll probably have a sequel this time next year.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but at this point in looks like A Quiet Place is going to outdo it domestically, which boggles my mind. I have to assume that Warner Bros. expected higher numbers for a Spielberg-directed mass market film. Maybe not Jurassic Park numbers, but certainly much higher than this.

Considering how many people predicted RPO would flop (even among some box office analysts), I'd say it's doing pretty well, especially overseas.

The movie is on track to hit anywhere between 500 to 600 mill worldwide, which would be Spielberg's highest grossing film in quite some time.
Most critically acclaimed and commercially successful videogame-licensed film ever made! Ground-breaking work, Dwayne.
dwayne_johnson_actor_smile_face_107357_3840x2400.jpg

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My guess is that Sony just stopped bothering with estimates. It already passed Spider-Man 1.

However, Jumanji was still playing in about 180 venues this week, so it should show up in the weekend actuals chart.

Did it open in Japan or yet?
Is there any chance of Jumanji hitting $1 billion?

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
$28M left for Black Panther to hit that $700M milestone :"(

Hopefully it gets that boost when IW is out

Oct 28, 2017
I did not regret seeing Rampage, I'd put it on par or a notch above Skull Island from last year which I thought was alright.

For a PG-13 film, it was surprisingly gory.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I saw rampage and thought it was alright, it was fun and the CG was good too. Surprised it cost $120 million honestly from the looks of it.

Jumanji cost under $100 million too, good for rock dude doesn't blow up budgets up too much and brings it back with a good profit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Trash week, next weekend will be worse. There will be dueling comedies. Super Troopers 2 and Amy Schumer

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody fighting to stock up on box office money before Marvel comes in and goes on a five week reign of terror.

Status
Not open for further replies.