• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
93lxnUw.jpg

An absolutely massive $2 million debut from Penguins pushes Disney at $1.4 Billion for the year.

Next week though, that mouse is going to make some giant stride towards that $10 Billion mark.

source.gif

I absolutely love that you do this graphic.

If Endgame, Star Wars and Lion King all average $2B, that leaves $2.5B between Aladdin, Toy Story and Frozen 2 (plus AF and Maleficent 2). $10B doesn't stand a chance.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... should I add Alita and The Kid that Would be King to the Fox Total? It's the 2019 list so I guess technically they count, even if they came out before the merger finished.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Captain Marvel passed The Dark Knight Rises. It will pass the $1.1B mark, but I don't think there is enough gas left to reach Aquaman or Civil War.

Domestically, Captain Marvel will pass Wonder Woman to be the #2 solo superhero debut after Black Panther.

CM only need like 57-60m to reach Aquaman. Its like week 7. Is it really out of range?

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know upon thinking about it. I bet if their was Game of Thrones film, it would be close to maybe setting a OW record.

Oct 25, 2017

Real successful boycott.

It's also not the holidays like with TFA or TLJ where you might be able to leg out more money. Dropping a movie now to try and counter program Endgame begins with Endgame burying it and Pikachu or something else salting the Earth to make sure it stays dead. There's no room.

The interesting thing is that their support for seeing Alita did not translate into box office gains for it.

Fuck the alt right for latching themselves onto Alita

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The interesting thing is that their support for seeing Alita did not translate into box office gains for it.

Fuck the alt right for latching themselves onto Alita

funny now im seeing BRIE LARSSON IS HATED BY THE AVENGERS CAST videos on youtube. They dont give up, but more importantly, why the FUCK does the youtube algorithm think I want to see this trash?

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Under The Silver Lake got TWO theaters!?

In May 2016, A24 acquired U.S distribution rights to the film.[10][11][12] The film had its world premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May 15, 2018. The first country it was released in nationwide was France on August 8, followed by Belgium on August 15.[13]

The film was originally scheduled to be released in the United States on June 22, 2018, but on June 4 was pushed back to December 7, 2018.[14][15] It was then pushed back again to April 19, 2019.[16]

They really didn't seem to know what to do with it after crowds and critics started reacting to it. Unfortunate because I really did like the trailer, and A24 is probably the studio with the best track record for me right now

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
funny now im seeing BRIE LARSSON IS HATED BY THE AVENGERS CAST videos on youtube. They dont give up, but more importantly, why the FUCK does the youtube algorithm think I want to see this trash?

Yeah, seems to be the usually group spouting that nonsense. They must all sit in a room and go "what should we all talk about this week?" and post videos at the same time.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame better savor those two weeks it has before PikaPika shoots it in the kneecaps
I don't know man, seems like Pika has cooled off a bit after the inital trailer

It was good but I found it a little less mainstream-friendly than I expected based on the trailers. I expect people who like Pokémon to like it, but I'm not expecting strong word of mouth to go far beyond that group. I hope it does well because it was a nice little movie, but I'll lower my admittedly high expectations for its box-office performance.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
It was good but I found it a little less mainstream-friendly than I expected based on the trailers. I expect people who like Pokémon to like it, but I'm not expecting strong word of mouth to go far beyond that group. I hope it does well because it was a nice little movie, but I'll lower my admittedly high expectations for its box-office performance.
If you don't mind, what elements did you find non-mainstream friendly?

If they're spoilers, you can PM me.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I'm still floored by the performance of Captain Marvel. $1 billion worldwide and $400 million domestic is just fantastic. Amazing that it actually increased week-to-week, too. Perfect scheduling by Disney with Endgame coming next week.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My problem is it seem you got pokemon and you got Ryan Gosling and you seem to be do the minium kid movie shtick.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I had to look hard to find Hellboy

That move didn't start well and still managed to fall off a cliff.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
$300 million is possible for Endgame. There's enough showtimes now that many theaters are running around the clock. There will still be a lot of empty seats and showtimes but just at very odd hours. Getting to $300 million really depends on filling those obscure showtimes, I think. The primetime shows will be jam packed.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yup thats one of them. CHEADLE HATES BRIE LARSON is another (ironic given the Rhodes / Carol comic history lol)

I haven't been blessed with that one yet.

Brie's 'public persona' is essentially identical to Hemsworth's yet they hate one and love the other... I wonder why??????

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Move over, " Avengers: Endgame " , if thats even your real name . This is the REAL movie event of the year:
velocipastor-pastor-719x1024.jpeg

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I wont be able to see endgame till the week after. So hopefully I can avoid spoilers, I anticipate great things.
I'm planning to do the same but I've accepted that this is impossible. Even if I disconnect my internet, people are gonna talk.
Missing Link bombing...

itswhatshedeserves.gif
The Laika movies I've seen, I really appreciate their craft. Not just the impressive stop motion but the way they structure their stories, their dialogue, their forceful messaging about people and society.

And I see Missing Link mentioned and think oh yeah I should check that out but opening a few reviews (that don't use vague praise like funny, beautiful, or heartwarming) you see a hype sapping pattern emerge. It's not as good as the others, it's less freaky, it's a perfectly agreeable watch.

Like I'm sure agreeable Laika is still a better time than not but what a downer.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
The Laika movies I've seen, I really appreciate their craft. Not just the impressive stop motion but the way they structure their stories, their dialogue, their forceful messaging about people and society.

And I see Missing Link mentioned and think oh yeah I should check that out but opening a few reviews (that don't use vague praise like funny, beautiful, or heartwarming) you see a hype sapping pattern emerge. It's not as good as the others, it's less freaky, it's a perfectly agreeable watch.

Like I'm sure agreeable Laika is still a better time than not but what a downer.
I really like their previous films apart from Boxtrolls, but I found Missing Link to be very unenjoyable. There was one set of jokes in particular that felt really mean spirited and dated. The animation craft on a technical level is there, but the character designs and plot do not hold its end of the bargain.

Nov 1, 2017
That's an incredible increase for Captain Marvel.

Now she has the best return of investment in MCU beating Black Panther. Plus, she is also the first superhero to join the $1 billion club on a debut movie. So much for "Go woke, go broke" ROFL.

higher further faster baby.gif!

Cubo

May 14, 2018
They really didn't seem to know what to do with it after crowds and critics started reacting to it. Unfortunate because I really did like the trailer, and A24 is probably the studio with the best track record for me right now

It didn't get released in USA until now (if this actually counts as a release)? It opened here in Spain around october I think, and it was one of my favourite movies from last year. I hope it can find an audience after its failed theater phase, it's a movie that just screams cult classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.